Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cobb vs. Gwinnett
Cobb 57 58.76%
Gwinnett 40 41.24%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 02:12 PM

16,680 posts, read 29,499,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Whether it "works" is not the point. It's a fake plastic facade, a cookie cutter drive-to-urbanism modern strip mall disguised as a downtown.

They had so much potential with that area with its history. It's not even about the parking, to me it's more about that design. Just something about it.

You can still develop a town center a la Market Village, Jubilee, and Serenbe and still incorporate history. I think Market Village has enhanced Smyrna's historical connections.

And a community center, etc. "working well" has to be the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
This is what so many people try to emulate. Its really sad. The way we treat each other but dogs and cats gets treated better lol.
DreamerD,

This is the only way.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I don't know why that can't still be accomplished, the grid is there. And would look more realistic in the long run if it happens organically and piecemeal rather than the ultra master planned areas you mention. You gotta at least give it props that it isn't a big box row with acres of asphalt in front.
Yes.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:02 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Thanks for providing the videos and URL’s to street view. Don’t get me wrong, I agree the area is beautiful particularly with the vistas from the foothills (one of the many reasons I enjoy hiking).

I just wish there were more established towns (meaning larger street grids, not how old people have lived somewhere) instead of meandering culdesacs and subdivisions. Even historic Roswell, Decatur, and Marietta Square are quaint compared with any random town in the Midwest, northeast, or seaport towns. I’d just love if the neighborhoods and roads fed into more of a small city that’s built to accent the surrounding topography like the downtown areas of Greenville, Boulder, Spokane, or Asheville.It’s one of the main reasons why I’m hoping Marietta continues to develop around and build out the grid around their square. Obviously it’s okay to have quiet secluded homes. I just think we should be providing a much better built out environment for everyone with a little more foresight instead of the strip malls, considering our booming population. Like what if instead of a culdesac or lone apartment complex we had a town square on top of one of those hilltops. Or town square with one of those rolling creeks coming through to feed the chattahoochee where people would congregate- eg Sope Creek (I know it’s a cultural/NPS site- just a nice place for reference).

This goes for pretty much all development across the US, not just Cobb.
The area immediately surrounding the Square has seen probably $500M or more in residential development either completed or put in the pipeline in the last 5 years, along with substantial pedestrian-accessible commercial development. So, I think you'd be pleased. We certainly are.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:19 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
I wish we could take all of Cobb and Gwinnett and N Fulton and OTP- all the population, all the interesting developments and walkable and historic areas, all the mid rises and high rises, all the attractions, all the parks- pretty much everything except the generic subdivisions/strip malls- and dump it all into ITP. Like, compact it all, into one connected, dense, urban area.

Like, for example, the Marietta Square, Avalon, Downtown Duluth, and the Buckhead Village. They're all pretty cool, but imagine if they were all in the same spot. One big village in Buckhead.

Metro Atlanta has so much, but there's so much sprawl and everything is all separated from each other by car drives. It's such a shame to me. If you could somehow compact the whole metro area into about the area of ITP, it would be all the same stuff and the same people, but so much better, something more than the sum of its parts, because of being able to walk to it all. And tourism would go way up because Atlanta would be like a jewel that everyone would want to visit and experience.

Anyway. I'm dreaming over here.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:36 PM

234 posts, read 143,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I wish we could take all of Cobb and Gwinnett and N Fulton and OTP- all the population, all the interesting developments and walkable and historic areas, all the mid rises and high rises, all the attractions, all the parks- pretty much everything except the generic subdivisions/strip malls- and dump it all into ITP. Like, compact it all, into one connected, dense, urban area.

Like, for example, the Marietta Square, Avalon, Downtown Duluth, and the Buckhead Village. They're all pretty cool, but imagine if they were all in the same spot. One big village in Buckhead.

Metro Atlanta has so much, but there's so much sprawl and everything is all separated from each other by car drives. It's such a shame to me. If you could somehow compact the whole metro area into about the area of ITP, it would be all the same stuff and the same people, but so much better, something more than the sum of its parts, because of being able to walk to it all. And tourism would go way up because Atlanta would be like a jewel that everyone would want to visit and experience.

Anyway. I'm dreaming over here.
Were you the one mentioning you’re looking to move? I don’t blame you if you are- it’s been a big item I’ve debated with as well considering Atlanta will likely never be the level of density/walkability/transit accessibility/progressiveness I would prefer during my lifetime. Many cities will have what you are looking for- even on the suburban outskirts. Philly for example has some great suburbs that feel and likely are more urban than any of our neighborhoods other than a select few. Chicago is great, too and also relatively affordable from a big city perspective. That said, there are several smaller cities you may learn to love, too. To be honest lately I’ve been enjoying smaller cities with a tight urban fabric. The big ones are great, too, but I’m more interested in local neighborhoods and places to walk to more so than anything else.

Errrrr to keep this on topic... I’m with you and wish we’d build more neighborhoods intown. West End MARTA station could be bigger than Decatur, for example. Ashby is another prime spot to support a town center. It’s asinine how little development is surrounding our HRT system... guess I didn’t keep this on topic after all

Old 01-03-2019, 08:30 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
Yeah, I am planning/hoping to move to Chicago next spring, but we’ll see how it all works out.

To keep this on topic, I think Cobb, Gwinnett, and Clayton should have joined MARTA in 1965 or whenever Fulton/DeKalb did. That one thing would have changed everything for Atlanta.

And I think Gwinnett should have zoned the Gwinnett Place area for high rises and higher density since the 1980s when the mall was built. That was their chance for a Cumberland.

And as far as Cumberland, just imagine if there waa a MARTA HRT station at the Galleria, 30 years ago.

In general it just blows my mind how little vision and how much opportunity blown.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:58 PM

Cobb Vs. Gwinnett-marta-map.png

Cobb Vs. Gwinnett-marta-map-iv.jpg

Cobb Vs. Gwinnett-marta-map-ii.jpg

Old 01-03-2019, 09:14 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
DreamerD,

This is the only way.

Lol...you're getting eerie now. Haha. I'd rather not fill myself with desires. Come to think, I want to use this year to remember why it's important to not be bound by desires, be around people who are, and make sure I don't settle for basic friends/dates. I guess it's better to be at home than to be around that.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Lol...you're getting eerie now. Haha. I'd rather not fill myself with desires. Come to think, I want to use this year to remember why it's important to not be bound by desires, be around people who are, and make sure I don't settle for basic friends/dates. I guess it's better to be at home than to be around that.
DreamerD,

This has all been in good fun. Come on, now.

But...you still need to decide:

Do you want to be a steak sprinkled with chives or an onion bagel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzM0lYcBnMc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PjZAeiU7uM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta