Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Cobb vs. Gwinnett
Cobb 57 58.76%
Gwinnett 40 41.24%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 07:49 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,115 times

Advertisements

Cobb since it is better connected to CoA. Vinings/ Cumberland area only though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 08:18 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
I've lived in both counties for a number of years, as well as North Fulton, and all things considered I prefer Cobb (though I have my gripes also). I live inside the perimeter, and can get to Howell Mill in like 5 minutes ish. I like I-75 better than I-85.

Most of Gwinnett is too far away from Atlanta, having to go thru suburban DeKalb on the way there, and most of it is identical cookie cutter subdivision-strip mall suburbia. Some of the parks are really nice though. I miss living near Collins Hill Park.

And I love Marietta- a smaller but walkable and vibrant city. I like the Atlanta Rd corridor (the original US 41)- I like shooting up there from Vinings on that road which is a nice drive as opposed to junky Cobb Pkwy.

Accessing the commercial areas of Buckhead is not ideal at all from most of Cobb though. I usually go West Paces Ferry.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:25 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
If Gwinnett joins MARTA in March and eventually gets that new MARTA station on the Gold line at Jimmy Carter- that gives them a bonus point over Cobb which is so frustratingly head-in-sand on the topic of transit. STILL.

But, I don't think even that will make Gwinnett better than Cobb. Cobb is much better located and is as close to Atlanta proper as DeKalb is, Cobb has lots of high rises and a major business district, has the Atlanta Braves, etc.

Cobb and DeKalb are a closer comparison than Cobb and Gwinnett, in many respects.

Old 12-31-2018, 12:12 PM

16,679 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
East Cobb is the golden child of Metro Atlanta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I've heard this a lot, and maybe it's because I'm a little more familiar with N Fulton, but I feel like North Fulton is more of the premier area of metro Atlanta. Some schools outrank E Cobb schools. Lots of jobs right there in Roswell/Alpharetta along 400. Lots of high(er) end homes.

There's some segregation, but it's not super noticeable. E Gwinnett (like Dacula HS and Archer HS zones) are much more black/white and lack the hispanic/asian populations found in much of the rest of the county. Shiloh and S Gwinnett HS are both around 75% black. Noticeably black, but not fully homogenous either.

But for the most part it is diverse. My former high school (Brookwood) is I think now below 50% white. Parkview is about 1/3rd white and fairly even distributed amongst the rest of the groups. Those are good, well performing schools with a lot of diversity.

I'll always be a little biased for Gwinnett. The park system is top notch and is one thing I really miss where I am now outside Houston. The school system is well managed. Yes, there are bad schools. But, overall the system does really well with what it has. Gwinnett does a pretty good job with its roads. SPLOST helps a lot with that for repaving local roads. I remember driving on Old Stone Mountain Rd in Dekalb County before it turns into Five Forks Trickum Rd in Gwinnett. You could always tell where the county line was because Five Forks Trickum was is soooo much better shape than Old Stone Mountain. The road was already in better shape and Gwinnett repaved it anyway. Ronald Reagan Pkwy (a county road) wasn't in terrible shape but they repaved that last year. Sugarloaf Pkwy is a county road and got extended.

I do wish Gwinnett had its own version of Perimeter Center and Cumberland. Or at least Dekalb right there at 85/285. Peachtree Corners just doesn't compare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
This is not to say whether northfulton or East Cobb is the Golden child, but as an East Cobb resident I thought I'd add my 2 cents on the differences. N. Fulton is more of a destination (jobs, attractions, etc.), Where's East Cobb is more of that quiet, quintessential place to live? I'm splitting hairs as I'm sure both are great, just my anecdotal data point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
That's a great link. Bookmarking that.

That's one way to look at it. The area of East Cobb that's great may be greater in size than that of N Fulton's.

East Cobb
https://youtu.be/EEmtU_47_8Y

Old 12-31-2018, 01:35 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,694,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Thanks for posting the video! As an East Cobb resident, I cringed when she highlighted that people take extra great care of their front yards, haha. I don't personally wear that as a badge of honor

Old 12-31-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting the video! As an East Cobb resident, I cringed when she highlighted that people take extra great care of their front yards, haha. I don't personally wear that as a badge of honor
Um, does your East Cobb neighborhood not have Yard of the Month?

Old 12-31-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:

You have to admit, though, East Cobb is well-known for some damn-pretty neighborhoods with exquisite front yards--in a suburban forest with very hilly topography. I actually do understand where she was coming from. It's my initial impression of East Cobb as well.

Last edited by aries4118; 12-31-2018 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-31-2018, 02:36 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
I would NEVER want to live in the northern suburbs, BUT if I HAD to, Cobb County by a country mile: closer to the City of Atlanta, steller schools and many other amenities.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:44 PM

23,441 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
When did pride of place become something disgraceful?

What a world, what a world.

Old 12-31-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
When did pride of place become something disgraceful?

What a world, what a world.
Yes, ma'am.

More should have pride of place. It is the secret sauce that helps communities endure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta