Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 02:00 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,198 times

Advertisements

The reason ATL never had REAL Chicago style pizza I guess is because the transplants or locals who tried their take on it FAILED. As for Chicago, Deep dish is native to that city due to the extreme cold weather and harsh winters. People wanted somthing hearty and filling to fill them up and keep them warm through out the year...Fact!... Food has a connection to culture and the environment its in. So its not shocking that ATL is finally getting what others would consider “Good pizza”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 02:06 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Pizza in the ATL may be fairly new. I don't recall coming across it until about 1960, although it could have been here before that.
We still have a major lack of Italian food in general, so it isn't surprising that pizza is fairly new here.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,374,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
How'd that work out for ya?
Sam, not well at all. Lawdy... That was a whuppin. I wonder if Clemson ordered pizza for the team afterwards (to keep on topic).

Old 01-08-2019, 06:33 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,096,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
a little off topic but we don't talk about pizza much around here. i wonder if there is an "atlanta style pizza"? i don't go to other parts of the country much so i don't know what the pizza is like other than NY and chicago. for those from elsewhere: do our local places like savage pizza/little 5 pizza/grant central kind of have a cohesive style that you know you're eating pizza in atlanta? or is it just like everywhere else?
It has do with early Italian immigration to the US from 1830 - 1920, places like New York and Chicago had large Italian communities early on that branch out that form their own traditions.

It's the Same with hot dog styles they had a lot of German, Polish and Eastern Europeans that migrate to those cities bringing in different sausages traditions.

It fact a better way to look at it do to the timing and role immigrates played into developing those cities early culture it's the Northeast and Midwest equivalent to Soul and Southern cuisine in the south. Southern cuisine barrows from tradition from Western Europe, West Africa and native Americans. Cornbread, Sweet potato pie, Grits, Sweet tea and etc. Due to great migrations a lot of southern blacks move up north but there still a stigma that southerners are best and more authentic because these traditions started in the south. You can't out south the south like you can't out Chicago on Chicago. So no Atlanta wouldn't have largely know pizza style that what southern cuisine is.

Old 01-20-2019, 05:04 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,048 times
A little tip on this subject: I know crapola about Chicago style pizza A.K.A. lasagna, but with NYC pizza you'll go through all the big hipster and legacy media top lists for NYC pizza and barely see Scarr's mentioned.. Meanwhile this is where old school new yorkers go and it's considered the closest thing to what made NYC pizza world supreme...

What I mean is what you read or are told probably is far from the truth.. Like with what people say are the best pizza places in NYC when older new yorkers know different...

Old 01-20-2019, 05:51 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,868,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
A little tip on this subject: I know crapola about Chicago style pizza A.K.A. lasagna, but with NYC pizza you'll go through all the big hipster and legacy media top lists for NYC pizza and barely see Scarr's mentioned.. Meanwhile this is where old school new yorkers go and it's considered the closest thing to what made NYC pizza world supreme...

What I mean is what you read or are told probably is far from the truth.. Like with what people say are the best pizza places in NYC when older new yorkers know different...
i saw this video on youtube of a guy trying out pizza, he listed scarr's as his favorite. definitely a subjective thing for a news organization to really determine— i think it's probably easier to disagree and still enjoy the list when people share their opinions on things like this as individuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X26m-uvaiKg

Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,351,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop180 View Post
We went to Gino's on Friday. The staff is really friendly and excited about their restaurant. The appetizers were good - had the buffalo cheese sticks. Had the supreme deep dish pizza. The ingredients and tomato sauce were fantastic. The crust was just ok. The other negative was the price. We paid 40 dollars for a 12 inch pizza. I must have misread the menu because I thought it was 31 for a 12 inch. I would still recommend it if you like deep dish or haven't tried it.

As far as pizza in Atlanta goes - there are a # of good places. I think for many years Fellini's pizza was kind of the trademark pizza for ATL but it's not really what it used to be. Savage Pizza and Everybody's pizza have been around for a while. I guess those are all NY style pizza's.

Everybody's Pizza has been closed for almost 6 years now.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:26 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Yes, Gino's has an excellent thin crust. Congrats on getting a Gino's in ATL. Just had Lou Malnati's for dinner tonight.

For those that prefer Chicago thin crust, you also have an Aurelio's in Marietta > http://marietta.aureliospizza.com

Keep in mind, Nancy's is a stuffed pizza, which is much heavier/denser than deep dish. I like both, but one, maybe two slices of stuffed and you're done!
Oh yes, split a pizza, get 4 slices each person, eat 2 and take the other 2 home for later

Old 02-03-2019, 09:29 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,734,435 times
Why on Earth would Atlanta want "real" Chicago pizza? Chicago Pizza sucks!

Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 PM

11,775 posts, read 7,986,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
Why on Earth would Atlanta want "real" Chicago pizza? Chicago Pizza sucks!
Myself and several others I know travel out of state to obtain it. Note that I originally moved to Atlanta from Chicago so it's a native thing to me.

What I dont understand is how Columbus South Carolina landed an Uno's years before Atlanta did. I get the idea that the food culture is different but why did they show up in Charlotte, Columbus, Orlando and DFW before Atlanta. It just seems like there should have been one here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta