U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 12:27 PM

313 posts, read 1,037,885 times

Advertisements

How is the water situation with you all so far? Have you gotten enough rain this season so that the levels are steady? Do you think the water bans will be as strict this summer? I have been watching the weather systems moving across the country and was wondering if things were holding out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 02:36 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,881,566 times
Lake Lanier has risen 6' and Lake Allatoona is at full summer pool, so things have definitely improved. But there's no telling what will happen this summer. We've had some lovely rain over the winter and early spring, but who knows what will happen in late spring and through the summer. At least we've got some breathing room for right now.

Old 04-07-2008, 02:44 PM

3,479 posts, read 6,490,828 times
Considering the issue is water management and not the drought, and since little is being done on the former front, metro Atlanta will continually be under water stresses for the near future.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:04 PM

Yes ...management is true...maybe the scare last summer will help people be more aware and not take the water for granted. Lake lanier has been low for quite a few yrs though. Six inches...doesnt sound like much...I hope their is more rain before the heat sets in for the SE.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:28 PM

12,560 posts, read 17,452,934 times
Even throughout the water crisis, it seemed like few people really took it seriously. It's frustrating. When I was home over winter break, I spent time with friends who were proud of "cutting back" their showers to "only" two a day. And they "only" washed their cars once a week! Nobody had grey water buckets in their showers/tubs and nobody had bricks or water bottles in their toilets to make them low flush. These are things I do at college not even living in a water crisis area! If these kids weren't doing it, it's doubtful their families were either.

Regardless of water levels, everyone should ALWAYS be conserving water. Unless new reservoirs are somehow miraculously built, it's only going to get worse. Atlanta's water infrastructure was not designed to support the population- especially not in any kind of drought! 6 inches is not much if you consider how far down Lake Lanier still is. It's out of the "record low" range, but still pretty low.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,881,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnergrl View Post
Six inches

Six feet, not six inches.

Old 04-07-2008, 09:46 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,769,931 times
It didn't help that in the Georgia State House they never came to any agreement as to building more water retention lakes in the area, either.
Old farts.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:46 PM

It's like how bad doesn it have to get to make a change...I live out in CA now...and since the gas prices have gone crazy....I have actually noticed more economy and hybrid type cars on the hwy now. Now the big SUV's and such are still around...but I can definitely tell a difference on the hwy. While I have never been a fan of the SUV...always driven a volvo wagon...and now we have downsized to like a euro styled wagon...gas mileage is better.

They are big on water conservation out here too...afterall it is an arid environment that only gets rain a few times a yr. GA is behind the times when comes to being proactive in development and usage of resources.

Sorry on the 6 inches part...6 feet is quite a bit...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or