Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2019, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,288 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am relocating to one of these places: Marietta, Mableton, or Atlanta. I have been in Georgia for close to 10 years now, but I was born and spent most of my childhood in California. Reason I am saying this is because I am not familiar with the Atlanta area. Long story short: which one of these areas is better in terms of quality of life, organization, and safety? Does anyone have any experience with Mableton or Union City? If I choose the Union City address I will be close to the amphitheatre and country club in the area. Detailed breakdown of pros and cons would be appreciated.

Thank you

Last edited by EnigmaticBeing; 01-02-2019 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 07:44 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,616,840 times
Are you relocating for employment? And do you know what part of Metro Atlanta you'll be working in?

Atlanta's traffic is pretty bad, so the closer to your job you're able to reside, the easier your commute will be.

Also, just out of curiousity, what exactly attracted you to Mableton and Union City (besides the amphitheatre and country club)? Mableton isn't too bad. It's affordable and relatively close to Cumberland (where there's a large concentration of high-paying corporate jobs and upscale restaurants/stores) in Cobb County, but Mableton itself is more of a gritty working class community. Union City, on the other hand, is one of the last places I would suggest for someone relocating to Atlanta. It's far away from any decent shopping/restaurants, the schools are fairly poor and it has a crime rate well above the national average.

Last edited by citidata18; 01-02-2019 at 07:57 AM..

Old 01-02-2019, 08:09 AM

2 posts, read 3,288 times
Thanks for the reply. I am relocating because I am tired of being in area I am in. I am very far from Atlanta; I am near Kennesaw for reference. I work from home, so traffic isn't an issue. Thanks for your input on Union City though, this is very helpful. What about places like Ellenwood and Douglasville? I like being one to the city without actually being in the city.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:21 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,616,840 times
I think you'll like Douglasville.

It's reasonably safe, affordable, has a good variety of shopping/restaurants (around Arbor Place Mall), the schools aren't bad and you have pretty good access to the city as Douglasville sits right along I-20.

It is also more of a working class community.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 4,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticBeing View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am relocating because I am tired of being in area I am in. I am very far from Atlanta; I am near Kennesaw for reference. I work from home, so traffic isn't an issue. Thanks for your input on Union City though, this is very helpful. What about places like Ellenwood and Douglasville? I like being one to the city without actually being in the city.
I would not recommend Ellenwood personally. Has some lovely homes, but the property values can be a little sketchy if you plan on owning and care about value.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:52 AM

55 posts, read 78,178 times
I have a lot of friends in Mableton. There are some really nice subdivisions in that area code including Vinings Estates. It's gritty around it but it's very close to Cumberland and the west side of Atlanta. Commutes into downtown and midtown aren't bad from there at all. Smyrna is a little closer to more nice things but the price differential leads some to the Mableton zip code for many of the Smyrna activities.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:44 PM

30 posts, read 53,881 times
I live in Mableton. I like it because it is a close in suburb, just a few minutes to the Atlanta border. I chose it because you get a lot of home for the buck compared to Smyrna. I have great neighbors and a great community. I live off of Cooper Lake Road.

Old 02-14-2019, 03:48 PM

30 posts, read 53,881 times
I should say that places like Union City and Marietta are out of the question for me personally. I had a cousin who lived in Union City. It just wasn't in close proximity to any amenities. I like being able to get to midtown or downtown easily or nice places like Vinings Jubilee and Smyrna Market Village. Or West Village.

I love the idea of Marietta, but I just can't do that I75 corridor and it would be a tougher commute for me if I lived in Marietta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta