Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:10 PM

43 posts, read 214,365 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I'm a 27 year old woman who was born and raised MA. I grew up in southeastern mass in the suburbs and have lived in the Back Bay area (right downtown) for the past 5 years. I have recently decided to make a "big move" when my current lease ends on August 31st, and several people have suggested the Atlanta area for me. I want to give you a bit of background on myself and any feedback will be greatly appreciate.

I have a bachelor's degree in Journalism and P.R but currently work as a nanny in the South End of boston and take part time evening classes in Education. My next job position in Georgia I HOPE would be in the same line of work, but I also have a ton of experience in retail, Hospitality, sales, and also public relations. What is the job market like for education and these above fields in Georgia?

Another bit about me....I do not have a license due to a seizure disorder that I have. I am otherwise healthy, but my doctor has recommended that I do not drive. This obviously puts me at HUGE disadvantage whereever I move, because I know most cities are not as "public transportation friendly" as boston is. In fact, I have more friends who DON'T have cars than DO. Is it even possible to live in Atlanta without a vehicle? PLEASE BE HONEST. And if so, where are the best areas to live?

Furthermore, I am a VERY friendly, outgoing person. I have always found Boston to be cold, rude, and judgmental. I have heard that Georgia is very friendly and I wanted to knwo if this is true. I did want to add however; that I am in fact gay and I am a hardcore liberal and this is something that I have always felt very comfortable being here in MA. I know there are stereotypes about the south and I wanted to know what the city was like.

Also, what is the nightlife like for a single in Atlanta? I would love to hear aback from anyone on ANYTHING that I have asked about. Espeically if there is anyone who has made the same move I am considering making! I hope you all have a GREAT weekend! Thank you in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 04:14 PM

Oh and I also wanted to add that I HATE bad weather. I like a more steady climate year round. What are the average winter temperatures like? Are the summer's super humid? I know that anything will be better than boston, but I was just wondering how hot it gets in the summer and what it is like on a January day!

Old 04-04-2008, 04:24 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,394 times
Winters are mild. Summer is hot as hell and humid as dragon's breath.

There are only a couple of neighborhoods where is possible to live in Atlanta without a car -- Midtown and Downtown Decatur. Both neighborhoods have a wide variety of shops, restaurants, at least one grocery store, and MARTA rail stations.

You should defintely plan a trip to judge the area for yourself before you consider such a major move.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:54 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,508 times
I think what stood out from your post the most is that you can't drive. I gotta tell you that will be tough here in Atlanta. Mass transportation? Not in Atlanta...

People are friendly but I have had a hard time making friends...I am not from the area (from Florida) and I am not sure if that is the reason.

Sorry, I can't help you much with your other questions. It seems like ITP you would not have a probably blending in. But I will let someone with personal experience fill you in.

Good Luck on your impending move...but rent first until you are sure this area is what you are looking for. I have been to Boston, and Atlanta defintely has a different vibe. I don't know how else to explain it but it I think you are either going to love it or hate it.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:05 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,466 times
I'd really reconsider a move to Atlanta... there are some people who claim you don't need a car in Atlanta... but people who do not drive are in the tini-tiny minority here. I'm just being honest.

You'd pretty much be bound to a job on or very close to a MARTA line, and that is hard.

The summers are hot, humid, with very little breeze.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:49 PM

Thanks for all of the help thus far...

in regards to the non-driving situation, I know it may not be atlanta, but what other cities have some of you folks lived in that you feel as though you could get by without a vehicle?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:02 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneyfan1 View Post

in regards to the non-driving situation, I know it may not be atlanta, but what other cities have some of you folks lived in that you feel as though you could get by without a vehicle?
Vancouver, Canada. Temperate climate, vibrant downtown community (the West End) where you can get by quite well without a car, and which is also a major centre of gay population. However, you might not qualify for Canadian immigration.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:18 PM

297 posts, read 1,538,457 times
Quote:

You could definitely live in Chicago, Washington DC, NYC, or Boston without a car. I would highly recommend against a move to Atlanta. I lived in Boston for a while (love Back Bay), and Atlanta is nothing like Boston. Also, you definitely need a car here. Even if you live near MARTA, it does not really take you anywhere (not when you come it to The T). I have met a few other people from Boston who moved here without a car and then moved back within a few months.

As for the weather, the winters here are much better! The summers are hot and humid, but then again Boston is not mild in the summer either. At least here you have air conditioning everywhere. Good luck!

Last edited by kagmypts; 04-04-2008 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-04-2008, 07:50 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
You might wish to consider Washington DC. The winters are much milder than they are in Boston, but you can still get a little snow every season just to whet your appetite. Summers can be hot and humid, but a tad more moderate than Atlanta. As a fellow gay person, I can assure that overall the LGBT community is tolerated rather well in the nation's capital. Mass transit is also much better in DC than it is in Atlanta. Best of luck!

Old 04-05-2008, 12:20 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Another bit about me....I do not have a license due to a seizure disorder that I have. I am otherwise healthy, but my doctor has recommended that I do not drive. This obviously puts me at HUGE disadvantage whereever I move, because I know most cities are not as "public transportation friendly" as boston is.

I did want to add however; that I am in fact gay and I am a hardcore liberal and this is something that I have always felt very comfortable being here in MA.
I would definitely make a case for (city of) Decatur here...I lived without a car here for four months and was fine...I actually lost about 10 pounds walking everywhere!

Also, check out Citi-Data's Top 101 lists...it will show you that Decatur has the second highest per-capita % of (likely) lesbian couples in the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta