Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 02:05 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,447,815 times

Advertisements

It's fascinating to see the results of the poll numbers on the curbed article. I am surprised so few people would buy the Grant Park house given the price and amount of space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 02:20 PM

32,009 posts, read 36,673,317 times
Atlanta is a very diverse market. Folks who are interested in plunking down $600-900K for a house may took a look at intown properties but they are also considering houses in the suburbs. So the competition can be stiff and very broadly based.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:36 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,017,531 times
I'm not lucky enough to be in the market for a $500-$900k house, but just a few things that struck me...

1) The first house is 5 bedrooms, but only 2,889 square feet. That leads me to believe most of the bedrooms are extremely tiny. It also only has 3 bathrooms, which means one master bath, and then 2 bathrooms for 4 bedrooms plus guests who are visiting the home. My guess is people with $850k to spend want more room for their families and to have a "guest bathroom" for visitors to use that isn't full of stuff for kids.

2) Second house, I'm not sure. Is there still a homeless problem in Central Park? Maybe being right across the street is just a little too close for comfort for the $600k range? Maybe people don't WANT to live that close to music festivals? The real estate agent should also be fired immediately because the official listing only has 1 picture. Most reasonable people suspect there's something inside the owners don't want you see when the only picture is the outside of the house. Not sure where Curbed got the additional photos, they don't seem to be on the official listing: 379 Pine Street NE – Keller Knapp Realty Jennifer Engel doesn't seem serious about moving this home.

3) Probably just a personal thing with me.... But I wouldn't live in a house with that many power lines that nearby at any price. The cost of chemotherapy pretty much negates any savings. Yeah, I know the association isn't clinically proven, but the well-documented correlation is good enough for me.

4) This is a double penthouse, so you're already fighting the conventional wisdom of never buy the most expensive home in a subdivision or building. They will definitely need the right buyer. Maybe one who doesn't think 900 grand needs to buy you a better terrace view than one of a giant parking lot.

5) I think a single family home with only 2 bedrooms is probably difficult to sell just about anywhere. Especially when you get less square footage than most 2-bedroom apartments.

Those are just my thoughts. I think buyers may be getting more reasonable about what they expect at various price points.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:00 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,341,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I'm not lucky enough to be in the market for a $500-$900k house, but just a few things that struck me...

1) The first house is 5 bedrooms, but only 2,889 square feet. That leads me to believe most of the bedrooms are extremely tiny. It also only has 3 bathrooms, which means one master bath, and then 2 bathrooms for 4 bedrooms plus guests who are visiting the home. My guess is people with $850k to spend want more room for their families and to have a "guest bathroom" for visitors to use that isn't full of stuff for kids.
2,889 square feet with five bedrooms does not mean small bedrooms. Take this house for example. 2,845 square feet with five bedrooms. All bedrooms are a decent size (11'x14'), and the house has an extensive main living area (bonus room is not included in square footage).

Quote:
2) Second house, I'm not sure. Is there still a homeless problem in Central Park? Maybe being right across the street is just a little too close for comfort for the $600k range? Maybe people don't WANT to live that close to music festivals? The real estate agent should also be fired immediately because the official listing only has 1 picture. Most reasonable people suspect there's something inside the owners don't want you see when the only picture is the outside of the house. Not sure where Curbed got the additional photos, they don't seem to be on the official listing: 379 Pine Street NE – Keller Knapp Realty Jennifer Engel doesn't seem serious about moving this home.
The house isn't even listed on Redfin, but it is on Zillow, and Zillow has about 30 photos. Note that the parking pad is in the very back of the yard without a path between it and the house, without walking through the grass. That's going to be a huge turnoff to the vast majority of people looking to drop $600k on a house. Also, not the greatest location for going car-free, so most looking there will probably have a car.

Quote:
5) I think a single family home with only 2 bedrooms is probably difficult to sell just about anywhere. Especially when you get less square footage than most 2-bedroom apartments.
Yeah, a 2/2 SFH with under 1,200 square feet is going to be a tough sell.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:51 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,017,531 times
Quote:
Note that the parking pad is in the very back of the yard without a path between it and the house, without walking through the grass.
Agreed. This is a crazy set up. I think what's even more concerning than having to walk through your yard to get to the car is having to manually open up some gate every time you want to come and go. Does it even lock from the outside? That seems like an awful lot of fun in the rain! First you get to get all wet, and then you get muddy shoes walking through your yard. Well, what do you want for only $600k?

It's a really bad set-up that a lot of people who may not even mind it themselves might be thinking, "Well, I don't care, but I'm smart enough to realize MOST people do, so this house is going to be really tricky for me to move someday."

Also, what type of agent puts images on Zillow, but not the OFFICIAL listing?? An amateur, that's who. How she got this listing is a mystery.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:34 PM

10,739 posts, read 13,333,084 times
And, keep in mind, these are FIVE homes out of how many thousands for sale???

Old 03-19-2019, 04:47 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,341,316 times
2.5 months later, and the Charles Allen house is still on the market, but with a price drop.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:46 PM

17 posts, read 13,432 times
Charles Allen (finally) under contract..there are some nice things about the home but it was really 4 bedroom, as one was pretty tiny and not private. The kitchen was renovated...15 years ago. Tiny closets. And age related issues...all this plus a busy street a block or two from Grady high made it a tougher sell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: