Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 07:48 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,859,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinGA View Post
Hi, all! We moved to Atlanta (Buckhead) in January 2018 from the Northeast. We are currently in the process of evaluating private schools for our daughter who will be entering into 1st grade. I have already heard that a non-expansion year will be tough for admissions. Her kindergarten teacher said that she was academically capable of attending Westminster, which seems like the reference point around here, but her dad and I don’t feel like it would be a good fit given the reputation it has for being a pressure-cooker and socially competitive -- even in the early years. (Please correct me if I got it wrong!)

Our daughter is very curious and creative with a strong interest in the arts. She is a hard-worker and self-directed. She is a kind and sensitive creature who marches to her own drum. Also, we are a biracial family (Caucasian and Indian); so, diversity/acceptance of diversity does matter to us. Lastly, we are more spiritual than religious and wonder how she’ll fit in to some of these schools given that we don’t go to church.

Being new to the area, I am having a really hard time narrowing down the list from six to four. If anyone could help me navigate the maze and give me the insider’s perspective on the real vibe of the different schools, I would be so super appreciative. I am just trying to find the best fit for her.

Current List:
Atlanta International School
Galloway
HIES
Trinity
Pace
Lovett
Consider adding Woodward and Paideia to your list. Your comments about the arts and acceptance immediately brought those two to mind.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 06:45 PM

3 posts, read 3,545 times
Default Another Vote for High Meadows

Someone else mentioned High Meadows School, which is in Roswell, and I have to second this recommendation. It is a progressive IB world school (following the primary years IB curriculum) and really focuses on student-led learning combined with a whole-child approach to curriculum. The community is diverse, tolerant and accepting of all walks of life. It's a small school of around 300 students, offers preschool - 8th grade, is set on 40 beautiful acres, and offers an amazing environment for learning.

They emphasize and nurture an overall love of learning, critical thinking, global citizenship, problem-solving, curiosity, self-advocacy, responsibility and respect. Mindfulness and intentionality are also prevalent themes throughout the classrooms.

HMS also emphasizes the unique period of our lives known as childhood. How cool is it to measure the volume of mud puddles, identify the natural patterns found in nature, learn what it was like for early settlers and pioneers by sheering a sheep, carding and weaving wool, building a fire, cooking your lunch and making homemade butter? Standard lower years classes include art, theater, music, PE (which includes swimming), environmental sciences, library, technology/computers/robotics, and Spanish. And did I mention the menagerie of animals that reside on campus? Goats, chickens, sheep, ponies, horses, bunnies and a pot-bellied pig named Hamilton, all of whom play an everyday role in the students' lives?

Instead of asking why you would measure the volume of a mud puddle, High Meadows would ask why not; and once you've measured the volume, the conversation might turn to learning about the science of rain clouds, soil saturation and absorption, or perhaps water filtration systems, or pollution, or whether it's also raining in Australia... Open-ended learning is around every corner, in every classroom, and across the entire campus.

We have two very different children - one is highly driven and an over-achiever, while the other one is a dreamer who lives and breathes outside the box. Both children thrive at High Meadows.

If you can't tell, we simply love it at High Meadows. We didn't actually know we were looking for it until we found it, and it was a light bulb moment in our lives.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:01 AM

2,306 posts, read 2,991,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuslife View Post

If you can't tell, we simply love it at High Meadows. We didn't actually know we were looking for it until we found it, and it was a light bulb moment in our lives.
Love High Meadows. I love their philosophy and the outdoor experiences. However, I will caution the OP to consider location very seriously. High Meadows is a real haul from most parts of Buckhead. Imagine when your child is old enough to stay for after school activities--You will be in rush hour traffic going to East Cobb/Roswell. I would give that commute a test-drive before you apply.

Do you have other children? Location is even more important if you have more than one, being picked up at different times.

I think you are wise to cast a wide net, as competition will be fierce for those few spots in first. When is your child's birthday? If she has a summer birthday, you could. . .well, I'm not trying to start a flame war, but you could hold her back.

Of course, at AIS, your child will be taught 50% of the time in Spanish/French/German or 30% of the time in Madarin, depending on what track she is in. It stands out from the rest of your list for that reason.

Last edited by AtlJan; 02-13-2020 at 10:57 AM..

Old 02-19-2020, 04:00 PM

527 posts, read 319,563 times
Quote:
Hi, thanks so much for your help and really great question. No, to be completely (and embarrassingly?) honest, I really don't know what I'm looking for as far as curriculum. Sounds like I should kind of know that. Whole child??? As I said, I am kind of overwhelmed and lost at the moment in this process. Yes, more of a non-traditional learning environment is what I'm imagining would work well for my 5yo daughter. This whole thing feels more like a college application process than something geared for first grade!

Yes, we are indeed currently renting (close to Roswell/Piedmont), but my husband just loves the Buckhead area. Paideia seems like it would be an ideal fit (sounds like very, very low acceptance rate though), but the commute is just awful. Someone else I very much respect mentioned Cliff Valley, too. I think we'd definitely have to move for those two.

Any thoughts on AIS? My husband is from India, and that is currently his top choice. I'm trying to remain open to find the best fit.

Again, so appreciative of your input. It is so hard not knowing the real skinny on all of the different schools. I just don't have a true sense of any of them. There's only so much you can take away on an hour

These schools are insanely expensive. I would recommend some serious research before applying let alone giving them a dime.

You will like live close to a great public elementary school. That would be worth exploring as well...

Old 08-03-2020, 11:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,399 times
We have family friends with happy kids at Pace, Marist, HIES, Woodward. Many great options in town. We also have our kids at Westminster and they love it, too. Lots of good choices. But know that Westminster is not a pressure cooker—in fact, kids know they don’t have to be Uber-Uber to get into a great school. This year, some kids in the ~bottom half of the class got into UVA, Notre Dame, Michigan, etc. so kids can find their preferred level of effort/ pressure and know that options will be good wherever you fall. Not everyone there wants to go to HYP, but all have a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta