Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 6,301 times

Advertisements

I am a caucasian twenty-something moving to the Atlanta area next year. Can anyone recommend areas in or around Atlanta that would be great for me to search for an apartment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 7,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERohm View Post
I am a caucasian twenty-something moving to the Atlanta area next year. Can anyone recommend areas in or around Atlanta that would be great for me to search for an apartment?
Lots of areas to suit your needs. Send more info--where will you work, will you have a car, what type environment,etc.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:05 AM

39 posts, read 111,345 times
lol @ "less diverse"

Old 04-05-2008, 12:49 PM

13 posts, read 43,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myndsplyntur View Post
lol @ "less diverse"
I know, right! Amazing

Old 04-05-2008, 12:56 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,744,365 times
If "lack of diversity" is what you're looking for, I would suggest:
Roswell
Upper Sandy Springs
Alpharetta
Dunwoody north of I-285
Vinings
East Cobb
Kennesaw
Acworth
Canton
Woodstock
Upper Duluth (the farther away from I-85 the better)
Cumming

Best to avoid my neighborhood; we're just swimming in diversity here...

Old 04-05-2008, 01:10 PM

401 posts, read 1,726,050 times
Come on - leave the guy alone. Diversity isn't for everyone. There are folks of all races and cultures who are more comfortable with their own. I myself like diversity - that's why I live where I live.

I also like folks being able to live their lives without being harassed unless they are hurting others. This guy is just more comfortable with his own. Leave him alone and worry about yourself. Diversity advocates making a mockery of him certainly isn't going to encourage him to value diversity, is it? Lovers of diversity can be elitist too. If you really love diversity, you have to include folks who have diverse comfort zones as well. You don't get to pick and choose what is on your list of "acceptable" diversity.

That being said, Lovin' Decatur has the list right.

Old 04-05-2008, 02:04 PM

23,299 posts, read 43,744,365 times
No, I'm not mocking anybody...I'm just a bit amused by the terminology.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:46 PM

196 posts, read 765,991 times
I agree with cmtiger. People need to be in their comfort zone. Live and let live.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:31 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,252,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
If "lack of diversity" is what you're looking for, I would suggest:
Roswell
Upper Sandy Springs
Alpharetta
Dunwoody north of I-285
Vinings
East Cobb
Kennesaw
Acworth
Canton
Woodstock
Upper Duluth (the farther away from I-85 the better)
Cumming

Best to avoid my neighborhood; we're just swimming in diversity here...

This is almost completely opposite from actual reality! Maybe you were just playing a joke on the OP. The best areas to avoid diversity are the expensive yuppie intown areas like city of Decatur and Candler Park. These areas are almost exclusively black or white with almost no foreign language speaking Asian or Hispanic people.

These older intown areas have few newer larger apartment buildings that tend to attract recent immigrants. The higher cost of these intown areas is also a deterrent for poorer immigrants. The smaller size of old intown homes is also not preferred by larger immigrant families.

Here is the proof. Look at the demographics for a couple of city of Decatur schools. Notice there is exclusively a mix of white and black and almost ZERO other categories.

Oakhurst Elementary - Decatur, Georgia - GA

Clairemont Elementary School - Decatur, Georgia - GA

Also look at the demographics for the Candler Park neighborhood. Another place to avoid diversity with only 2% each Asian and Hispanic.

Lin Elementary School - Atlanta, Georgia - GA

Now lets compare these to the so called non diverse areas mentioned above.

Here are the demogrpahics from a couple of Roswell schools.

Jackson Elementary School - Roswell, Georgia - GA

Mimosa Elementary School - Roswell, Georgia - GA

Wow! Maybe a little more diverse than those expensive intown areas.

How about Duluth. Lets look at Mason,one of the best schools in Duluth, right next to the fabled Sugarloaf Country Club.

M. H. Mason Elementary School - Duluth, Georgia - GA

This is what I would call "swimming in diversity"!

If you go up to Alpharetta it gets less diverse but still more diverse than City of Decatur.

Here is one right near downtown Alpharetta.

Manning Oaks Elementary School - Alpharetta, Georgia - GA

How about the "10" rated school right off the 141.

Medlock Bridge Elementary School - Alpharetta, Georgia - GA

How about Vinings? They have a top scoring school,surely it must be less diverse. Wrong,plenty of diversity here.

Teasley Elementary School - Smyrna, Georgia - GA

How about heading far away to Kennesaw or Acworth to escape diversity. Won't work. With lots of new apartments and shopping mall employment opportunities you attract diversity. Check out the numbers.

Baker Elementary School - Acworth, Georgia - GA

Hayes Elementary School - Kennesaw, Georgia - GA

Now what about Dunwoody? To avoid diversity in Dunwoody you need to go north of Dunwoody Club Dr. Check out these Dunwoody areas north of the 285. Definitely more diverse than city of Decatur schools.

Kingsley Elementary School - Dunwoody, Georgia - GA

Chestnut Elementary School - Dunwoody, Georgia - GA

You may be able to avoid diversity by hiding out in a sheltered intown area. However you will be missing out on one of the best features of living in a large international city like Atlanta. Maybe there is more fun to be had by exploring all areas of the city and making friends with all kinds of people.

Old 04-06-2008, 02:56 AM

196 posts, read 765,991 times
Capoeria, Do you know how the schools in Cumming are as far as diversity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta