Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 05:42 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times

Advertisements

It comes into your house the same as your phone line. They have to drill a new hole for the fiber line, which as you can imagine, is tiny. They do have to install a slightly larger box your wall that's about the size of an electrical outlet and sticks out a few inches. It also has some blinky lights on it and actually looks kind of cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 05:55 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It comes into your house the same as your phone line. They have to drill a new hole for the fiber line, which as you can imagine, is tiny. They do have to install a slightly larger box your wall that's about the size of an electrical outlet and sticks out a few inches. It also has some blinky lights on it and actually looks kind of cool.
Once the fiber comes in where does it need to run further? In my case, I guess it goes into the garage, but then, does that fiber need to visibly travel across my hallway into the structured wiring panel, or could the fiber terminate in the garage, connect to the Cat5e that lives between the siding and the drywall?

Old 01-10-2019, 06:00 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Dynamo X View Post
It has been a pain trying to get stable Internet! Currently, we're using Xfinity performance internet up to 60mph for the purpose of TV streaming, gaming, and internet surfing.

Our house has no Ethernet ports, therefore our network is wireless. We have a AC1900 cable/modem router (Netgear) along with wireless Extenders throughout the house. One of our strongest extenders is Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 as well. But despite all this, we constantly get signal drops when streaming TV and surfing online. Our home is near 8000 sq ft, which can be tough on a wireless network, and the basement has the weakest connections obviously.

Yesterday, I was approached by an AT&T salesperson about their Fiber internet option. I previous had Verizon FIOS when I lived in DC, and it was very reliable. I am considering another option, but I don't to be stuck in another bad contract.

Has anyone tried either service? Is it worth switching over to AT&T Fiber? I just want a stable connection without drops. I was planning to host a SB party, but I'm too embarrassed at this point.

Thanks!
Yes. Between Comcast and AT&T, only one offers fiber.

Comcast plant has been hanging there on poles for years - the way they get to gigabit speed is to keep adding channels, but you only get 1 gig in one direction! Uploading videos and sending photos is limited to 35 Mbps.

Before this turns into a discussion on "what do you really need, though?" go with the company who built all brand-new lines from the central office to your house, and does it for half as much.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:02 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Oh, I don't know. In my house, it comes right into my living room from the wall outside, so they just put the gateway right there. Once the fiber is in your house, it seems to convert to ethernet through the little box they install because that's how the gateway connects. So I imagine that would be the case for you, too, and you can just run as much ethernet wire as you want to connect to wherever you decide to place the gateway.

If you wanted, I'm sure they'd run the fiber line up the side of your house to the next floor and pop it in through the wall in a different spot. The fiber wire is pretty small, but I can understand why you might not want it to run up the side of your home. I guess it could run through a wall, too, but I don't know if AT&T would do that for you or if you'd be on your own to get someone else to.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Oh, I don't know. In my house, it comes right into my living room from the wall outside, so they just put the gateway right there. Once the fiber is in your house, it seems to convert to ethernet through the little box they install because that's how the gateway connects. So I imagine that would be the case for you, too, and you can just run as much ethernet wire as you want to connect to wherever you decide to place the gateway.

If you wanted, I'm sure they'd run the fiber line up the side of your house to the next floor and pop it in through the wall in a different spot. The fiber wire is pretty small, but I can understand why you might not want it to run up the side of your home. I guess it could run through a wall, too, but I don't know if AT&T would do that for you or if you'd be on your own to get someone else to.
AT&T techs have carte blanche for running wires, you won't pay for an extra outlet like you will from the cable company. I've never seen an installer run fiber vertical to the second story, so I wouldn't worry about that. They do what's necessary to get it inside the dwelling at the ground level, and then take it up from there.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:33 AM

276 posts, read 430,898 times
When I got ATT Fiber installed, I had the option of having it enter my home, a town house, on the third story. I changed my mind though, as the den month second floor over the garage, is where I usually am. My experience is they will get it into the house and then use the modern to turn on wifi. Any other wiring would be on you.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:09 AM

561 posts, read 781,008 times
Fiber is better without question. The upload speeds are worth it without considering anything else.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:53 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,249,708 times
The AT&T technician came and identified the fiber pedestal that services me. He says he can’t install it because there’s no conduit and only the end unit of the townhome could get it. I thought they lay fiber, and bury later.

I hope Comcast activates the Docsis 3.1 symmetrical upload soon so I don’t have to wait on AT&T to decide when they install a conduit or whatever.

Old 01-11-2019, 01:36 PM

403 posts, read 619,657 times
Look into a wireless mesh network many options, google Wifi is probably most user friendly

Old 01-11-2019, 05:17 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
I have AT&T gigabit, $60 a month for the first year, with no monthly cap (I used 3TB last month so that’s a good thing).

House size > 8000 sq ft including basement. About 50 active devices give or take. No slowdowns or issues at any time. TV is via Directv Now, Amazon or Netflix.

I use an Untangle router which limits speed somewhat to around 600 Mbps (bus speed on an old PC I repurposed, will be upgrading). Untangle is used for content filtering and turning off the kids’ network connectivity when it’s time for bed. I use their provided modem in passthrough mode.

WiFi is via Eero mesh network, with 4 base stations (with Ethernet backhaul) and a couple of wireless repeaters. Get solid signal everywhere, usually around 100 Mbps or more. 7 ms ping times via wireless, very little jitter. Eero is in access point mode.

Actiontec MoCa adapters are also used, using existing coax as transmission medium. These also provide very fast stable connections.

In a few areas I use powerline, but they aren’t as fast - maybe 25 Mbps. I have 320A service divided between 2 panels, not optimal for powerline networking.

I’ve also had FiOS in the past; AT&T fiber is the same. I’ve also had Xfinity 300 which was ok, but AT&T is better in EVERY way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta