U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 09:46 AM

21 posts, read 88,320 times

Advertisements

Anyone heard yet from a school that they were on the wait list for? I have a friend who is holding off on decision until last minute in hopes she will hear from first choice which her son is wait listed for. Are the schools aloud to go to the wait list during the "quiet" period or do they have to wait until it is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 12:52 PM

28 posts, read 109,371 times
Nope, we haven't heard anything, not as of Saturday [4/11/09].

I bet schools are allowed to go to their waitlist as soon as they want to, but I bet they don't want to. Here's why. [This is what I guess happens. This is all guesswork. I sure would like to hear from anyone who's actually worked in admissions in a competitive school!]

Schools send out a first batch of actual acceptances, waitlists, and nos.

Even in that first batch, they can safely send out more yes'es than slots, based on how many actual enrollments they've gotten in previous years. If they know they'll have 10 openings in a given grade, if in past years 2/3rds of their offers are taken, they can send out 15.

Then, let's say 95% of families putting down the big deposit show up in the fall, and 5% bug out for whatever reason. Bigger schools probably have a few "returning students" not end up returning, too, who knows how many in a weird year like this. So maybe offering 15 places gets you 8-9 warm bodies in the fall, not 10.

But the schools don't really know how many families will end up actually sending a check and a signed contract in by 4/16 -- they say very clearly that's the drop-dead date but who knows? Maybe they let some families sign up a little late for whatever reason.

For all these reasons, I bet even if schools are pretty sure that they will end up bringing in lots of kids from their waitlist they wait until all the mail's in from the deadline before they start making those calls.

Remember that families who are offered a spot can really do three things, not 2. They can say yes, they can say no, or they can just not say anything.

The only reason I could see why schools would draw from the waitlist this early is if tons of the parents who they offered a spot to told the schools almost immediately "no thanks." I just don't think people work that way. Ask yourself -- if you got an offer from one school, you might wait until the last minute even if you knew you were going, in order to hold on to the money a few more days. If you got one offer and a waitlist or two, you'd definitely wait, just to see if the other schools contacted you. And if you got two or more actual offers, you'd probably wait until the last minute while you and your kid tried to figure out which one was really, truly the best fit.

Also, remember that Admissions Committees are not some mystery robot computer, they are human beings who actually have to meet. They probably don't meet daily. Anyway, most of the folks who run these schools are on Spring Break this week, too. While we're biting our nails, they're taking the first break they've had in weeks!

Your friend's best bet is probably to sign up with the one they've got.

Old 04-12-2009, 06:25 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,278,647 times
Actually, L, W and P were not on spring break this week, "private school" spring break was a few weeks ago. However, since you have to assume that many of the applicants were on Spring Break, there is no way they could have heard everyone yet even if everyone is going to accept.

It has been several years, since I went through this process and I can't remember what the letter says. I realize the deposit is a lot of money, but if you are willing to lose that can you accept at one while waiting for the other.

At the college level, this is allowed (of course you lose the deposit) as long as you didn't apply early decision. Some colleges even return the deposit. In reality, most "well known" colleges take very few from the wait list, so I don't know how much this really happens.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:02 AM

2,042 posts, read 4,904,495 times
We got a "yes," but haven't sent our acceptance in yet b/c we're scrambling to come up with the deposit (not an insignificant amount of money). Yes, we knew we'd have to do this, but cash flow is unpredictable these days in both of our businesses, and we didn't have it on hand as planned. So, I suspect that there are others in our boat who plan to accept the offer but are still working on the funding.

Old 04-16-2009, 03:25 PM

3 posts, read 9,538 times
Does anyone know someone who was accepted off a waitlist? Also now that we are through the end of business 4/16, please post if you hear from a school about being accepted from the waitlist.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 PM

168 posts, read 495,179 times
I'd be really careful about relying too much on typical situations or anecodotal information this year. All bets are off because of the economy. Schools are expected to lose students to public schools and applications were down at many top schools. Many applicants' situations have changed since they applied three or four months ago.

Also, don't assume that families with multiple acceptances will wait around to decide. It varies. Many families rank the schools after they've visited them all and decline the backups as soon as they hear from numero uno. Largely out of empathy for people waiting to hear.

All in all, if I knew I was high on the waitlist, I'd be feeling pretty confident this year.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:59 PM

297 posts, read 1,422,792 times
I have a good friend who has been waitlisted at 2 schools, and she is still waiting to hear something. Has anybody heard anything yet? If so, from which school(s)?

Old 04-20-2009, 02:56 PM

I have a friend who just got off the wait list for 7th grade at one school.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:50 PM

297 posts, read 1,422,792 times
Thank you. My friend is waiting to hear about Kindergarten at Lovett and The Walker School.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:35 PM

It was neither of those schools.

There is some possibility (a real rumor of the 5th degree) that some schools have expanded in grades where they had the most demand (ie middle school) and shrunk in grades where there was less.

Lovett use to only take 40 kids and in the past more than half have been siblings. So, if this trend is still the case, it may be very difficult to get off the waitlist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or