Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 01:56 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,154,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Reading Born 2 Rolls insights are better than any newspaper columnist out there. And we get him on CD. I'm still in awe of the depth of insight and totally non partisan viewpoint. His posts ought to be standard fare for any Journalism student. I can smell an agenda and bias from almost everyone else out there. I can't pin him down. What a good journalist should be but is rarer and rarer these days.

OK, carry on.
Agree. I'll freely admit to having (and showing a preference) but love to see balanced opposing views and they have been excellent from B2R.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 12:07 AM

4,832 posts, read 6,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Hillary was an exceptionally flawed candidate, with a checkered past and a sense of self-entitlement. She advertised herself as Obama II and Bill II and of course, the glass ceiling breaker but when it came down to it she appeared to be someone with no charisma nor empathy. She could have and should have won - I believe had she actually visited states like Michigan instead of sending out “surrogates” like her daughter she would have taken those electoral votes.

Trump personally isn’t far right at all. He just parrots lines that the deep Conservative base likes.

If Biden runs with a good VP candidate I would consider voting for him. But if it’s a very left candidate walking out of the convention I will hold my nose and vote for Trump again.
You take Hilary name out put Trump name in the first sentence would work just the same is my point, This something I said during the 2016 campaign everything that is criticize of Hilary by the right Trump is actually worst at. Who is more self-entitlement Hilary or Trump? the answer clearly Trump is way more self center, literary trying making every thing about him. His public speeches is amazing how egoistic they are. The men litteally throw a fit that his inauguration was not bigger than Obama, then called the media fake for taking ariel shots.........

Many of the ex white house figures, "Fawed" Hilary has been investigate multiple time by a Republicans congress and FBI and they found nothing. Mean while Trump was literally paying out settlement from fraud from his "Trump university" while entering office. Hilary was criticize for using a personal server but Trump has been using a private cell phone but no body or the right suddenly care about these national security concerns, Trump has rush people inside his cabinet without proper security clearance. but yet again nobody who criticizing Hilary on the right seems to care now. Republican was chanting lock her up with out her actually being guilty of anything even by the republican congress. Mean while Trump has the largest amount of campaign member arrested in American history. but yet Hilary was flawed.

You think Trump hasn't moved the republican party much further to right? Ronald Reagan was views a Quintessential conservative fugue. In essence a farther figure in the neoconservative movement.

But Donable Trump is so the right of Ronald Reagan on immigration and not supporting US allies, it makes Ronald Reagan look like Bill Marher. Today conservative leaders are basically abandoning Reagan views and moving more to right. That how Republicans in a state like Georgia went from Nathan Deal to Kemp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBWUOOzuWIY

The point I was making all of this was ignore the right...... him putting in the most extreme right wing policies on immigration, and turning the supreme count conservative is more important to conservatives then he's clearly a questionable figure for leader altogether.

So last 3 years, to most Americans this is how the Trump era has appeared...... Trump has survived the political impossible in which most politicians or even candidate would have resigned. And just when you think there a line of moderation that Democrats and Republicans would agree that shouldn't be cross Trump them repeatedly with full partisan Republican support. To Republicans now this seem like a good idea to test the waters to see how extreme non centrist they can go with candidates...... but they actually opening Pandora box.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DeadBraveHoverfly-max-1mb.gif

My point is the more Democrats see Republicans not caring for moderation the less Democrats will grow to careless about moderation also. The right wing now is a off high of Trump from 2016, attacking Democrats in the culture wars attacking Democrats using "PC" but what conservatives don't understand that is moderation from democrats, "PC" also protects Republicans from left just as much as it projects Democrats from the right. Republican would not like some one with mouth of Bill Marher attacking Republicans and The religious right, being unapologetic calling any one on the right "snowflake", "sensitive" and etc. Conservatives don't realize they're changing the rules of moderation and everything can come back to bit.

Republicans celebrate the victories in states like GA and TX during during the midterms, but these are states that Republican usual win by large margins, that fact that not just Democrats were in nail biting striking distance but unapologetic liberals Democrats turn red states purple during the midterm speaks volumes.

Old 01-26-2019, 01:37 AM

4,832 posts, read 6,069,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You are correct about Abrams. She ran a very good campaign. But I wonder if it is can be replicated.

Clinton was the more moderate candidate and won the Democratic primary. Among the Republicans, the more conservative candidate hasn't won since Reagan (who did pretty well). Before that, Goldwater. In state elections, the Republicans have often lost winnable Senate elections by going far to the right. See Alabama this year.

President Trump is a populist, but is not far right. The media is all left and doesn't understand the distinction. Cruz and Carson were the candidates on the right in the Republican primary. Trump is not ideological at all.

Republicans lost AL by supporting a candidate with scadale, it had nothing do he was far to right, he was being accused child molestation is a big deal, the fact he still got 49% makes my point.

Clinton was viewed a shoe in candidate, She had huge name recognition in the Democrat party it not surprising to any she won the nod, what I'm saying Sanders who was relative unknown not even actual Democrat suddenly become competitive that is surprising nobody saw that coming.

Trump isn't ideological but his policy are extremely right wing. Trump is "populist" of the far right.... Which is why his national number have been in 30 to 40% range the last 2 years. Trump has a 80% to 90% popularly with Republicans but astounding low number with Democrat.

The media not is all left, but you just made my point, anything that criticize him to you is illegitimate, and anything that Democrats say or "the left" don't matter to you. That's a decrease in moderation. Being moderate you can't write off everything being right or left. And something leaning left or right doesn't take away the illegitimacy of the article or story. That only if the story is false. like trump inauguration crowd that was stupid it was only a story because he made it he lied about the crowd size and criticize the media for show the crowd. Criticizing the media calling it "liberal" doesn't change what it was, Most candidates lean left or right but don't just ignore the other side. Politicians usually try to find a balance between their base and bringing people together. and if Politician can't there way they usually reach across the ally, With Trump this doesn't exist, Trump is closer to right wing media host like Hanity, O'reality and Rush than the politicians like Obama, Bush, Clinton or Reagan.

What I'm addressing this can could backfire to bite Republicans if Democrats supported a left version of Trump and etc. I believe after Trump both sides will grow more partisan.As far Adams I can tell you now Democrats will look at her campaign rather more moderate Democrat that lost by larger numbers.

Old 01-26-2019, 02:30 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,845,152 times
i voted for lucy in november but i haven't heard a peep out of her since the election, no emails or flyers or letters, maybe i'm not looking in the right places. i know she's a mom and doesn't have a lot of experience in politics so maybe she's spending this time getting her act together, in that case i can wait a while longer but in a crazy time like this i would like to hear more from her.

in terms of congress and trump, maybe this is a little controversial but it's something i've been thinking. the baby boomer generation grew up a time where resisting "the man" was the big thing, that was kind of their purpose, as a reaction to the GI generation who were in charge and created a very restrictive society. now, all of the baby boomers are in charge and they are still fighting against "the man", but there isn't any "man" to be fought against anymore. so we have a bunch of people at the top who are all pointing fingers at each other and trying to make each other look bad rather than taking responsibility. there isn't anyone who says "the buck stops here" anymore. it's always someone else's fault. trump, mcconnell, pelosi, schumer, the people running the networks; they're all doing the same thing. it's all about "optics" and trying to demonize the other side, or push the other side into doing something crazy so they can say "see? look what we told you they would do!"

for example, today the headlines from supposedly liberal media outlets like CNN are saying trump "caved" today. i saw the headline today and i was like wtf? y'all have been talking about how awful this shutdown is and how it's affecting workers who rely on their paychecks and it's shutting down the courts and airports, threatening national security, and the guy finally agreed to stop this crazy mess— and the media is trying to goad him into starting it back up again? if this was the cuban missle crisis, would the headline be "JFK caves against soviet union?" how insanely irresponsible would a newspaper be to publish something like that?

i think there's a kind of sense of unreality right now, this whole thing has a surreal nature to it. it seems like colorado senator michael bennet is the only one who is taking this seriously. to all the other people at the top, they're acting like it's all a TV show. the lack of responsibility from all of the institutions we have relied on in the past, whether it's government or the media, is just jaw-dropping. where are the "adults in the room"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CU4_aYgkU2E

Old 01-26-2019, 05:11 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,653,638 times
Why is a discussiom about national politics still ongoing in an Atlanta forum?

Old 01-26-2019, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i voted for lucy in november but i haven't heard a peep out of her since the election, no emails or flyers or letters, maybe i'm not looking in the right places. i know she's a mom and doesn't have a lot of experience in politics so maybe she's spending this time getting her act together, in that case i can wait a while longer but in a crazy time like this i would like to hear more from her.

Not to be morbid, but Lucy had 2 children and both are dead. She has no family to care for. I don’t know what her husband does.

It’s still her first month, there’s a lot to absorb. As long as she doesn’t think she should model AOC or the Congressional Black Caucus leadership - which come from safe Democratic districts - I’m giving her time.

The problem will come next year when she’s up for re-election and the focus will not be on the 6th. Sure, there will be interest and support but national attention will be on Washington and the presidential election. She will also face a candidate who knows a Republican win is no longer a gimme in the district and who hopefully will be prepared. If the party fields a good ‘ole boy candidate they will be surprised.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:05 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,868,017 times
Quote:
It’s still her first month, there’s a lot to absorb. As long as she doesn’t think she should model AOC or the Congressional Black Caucus leadership - which come from safe Democratic districts - I’m giving her time.
Not to mention that this huge Freshman class entered Congress at the beginning of the largest Government shutdown in history. Things aren't normal, but people need to give her and her fellow new Reps time. I have every confidence she'll be fine. She's passionate, smart and engaging. That's a good start in my book, and I'm glad I voted for her.

Old 01-26-2019, 11:36 AM

815 posts, read 704,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

I've been getting a lot of emails from her and she's active on Twitter.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:28 PM

10,359 posts, read 11,393,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Reading Born 2 Rolls insights are better than any newspaper columnist out there. And we get him on CD. I'm still in awe of the depth of insight and totally non partisan viewpoint. His posts ought to be standard fare for any Journalism student. I can smell an agenda and bias from almost everyone else out there. I can't pin him down. What a good journalist should be but is rarer and rarer these days.

OK, carry on.
Quote:
Agree. I'll freely admit to having (and showing a preference) but love to see balanced opposing views and they have been excellent from B2R.
I thank you both very much for the compliments and the respect.

I greatly appreciate it coming from two awesome posters and gentlemen such as yourselves, whom I also admire.

Thank you, and I hope that both of you gentlemen keep bringing your own great commentary and unique insights to the Atlanta forum and to the CD site.

Quote:
Not sure if you live and work in the district, or if some of the other posters do as well. I happen to, and have kids in local schools and of course speak with other parents in a variety of settings. Many of these parents are immigrants, in tech, and either millennials or are young Gen X.

While there is a lot of eye rolling about Trump, I haven’t heard much about gun control fears or the desire for a laundry list of “progressive” items. Any discussion about immigration shows sympathy but also that we can’t have people overstaying visas or jumping the border. Remember, ALL of these immigrants followed the rules in an often expensive and complex process.

Most of the people pretty much like what they’ve got now, and want to keep it the same (except maybe for Trump).
I do not live there anymore, but I used to live in the Georgia 6th Congressional District right near Spaghetti Junction.

I have friends who teach at Roswell High School, and I have other friends who graduated from Pope High School (including one friend who gained an Ivy League academic scholarship to Columbia University after losing a football scholarship to UNC Chapel Hill).

I have also been to many sporting events (high school football and basketball games) on the campuses of Walton, Roswell, Centennial, Chattahoochee, Northview and Milton high schools.

Plus, my airline contractor customer service/driving job that I had for many years out of the airport has taken me all over (seemingly in every nook-and-cranny) of the area within the district, so I am very familiar with the area... Probably way more familiar than I would like to be, lol.

I also used to live in the neighboring Georgia 7th Congressional District (which is undergoing many of the same major demographic changes that has made congressional elections highly-competitive in the 6th District) in Peachtree Corners where I still have many friends who are like family, including some friends that teach and are heavily involved at Norcross High School.

For my friends who teach at Roswell High School (in the 6th District) and Norcross High School (in the 7th District), school safety (and fears of school shootings and gun massacres) is a concern. The fears are not paralyzing by any means, but seemingly rising number of mass shootings (including in schools) are a concern, not only for many teachers and administrators, but also for many parents and students.

And for a figure like Lucy McBath to have won an election as a Democrat running on a gun-control platform in a congressional district like the 6th where Republicans and conservatives have totally and completely dominated the electoral process for 40 years, is a pretty earth-shaking event in Georgia politics.

I mean, a progressive African-American Democrat winning a congressional race with a pro-gun control, pro-Obamacare, pro-Planned Parenthood platform has pretty much been unfathomable in the long GOP/conservative-dominated 6th before McBath defeated Karen Handel in the November 2018 midterm election.

Even during much of the 2018 general election campaign, McBath was still viewed by many as being a long-shot candidate with little chance of defeating the incumbent Handel in a district that had only voted for Republican candidates and incumbents for the last 40 years.

But McBath's ultra-progressive platform (especially for this traditionally deeply conservative district), including her positions on gun control, health care and women's reproductive issues, appear to have connected with enough voters for her to become the first Democrat to be elected in that district since about 1976.

Quote:
I don’t see a massive blue wave coming next year. But maybe I’m not speaking with the right people. I CAN see Trump getting defeated in GA but that doesn’t mean a blanket win for Democrats.
Like others have noted, if Donald Trump were to lose in a traditionally dependably red state like Georgia in 2020 (along with someone like incumbent Republican Georgia U.S. Senator David Perdue), that in and of itself probably would be a sign of a "blue wave" and/or a really bad election night for Republicans nationally.

Though, the challenge for the GOP is not just necessarily only losing the state of Georgia on Election Night 2020. The challenge for the GOP is continuing to lose ground in the metro Atlanta outer suburbs that they traditionally have dominated for the last 30 years or so.

Like has been noted before in other posts and threads on this subject, the Georgia GOP lost about 14 legislative seats total (11 state House seats, 2 state Senate seats, and 1 very high-profile congressional seat in the Georgia 6th) on Election Night 2018 while coming to within about 400 or so votes of losing the Georgia 7th Congressional District... With all Georgia GOP losses and the near-loss in the Georgia 7th on Election Night 2018 coming in the Atlanta suburbs, where continued robust population growth, rapid demographic changes, intense dislike of President Donald Trump by minorities and college-educated suburban white female voters, and significantly increased Democratic Party activity are all working to make life much more challenging for the Georgia GOP than at anytime since about at least 2002.

Many Georgia GOP leaders (including Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives David Ralston, some in new Governor Brian Kemp's camp, and even former Governor Nathan Deal, and especially local party leaders in a demographically-shifting suburban Atlanta county like Cobb that has long been a GOP hotbed) have openly expressed fear that the GOP will continue to lose ground in the state's political scene with the massive demographic shifts going on throughout large swaths of the Atlanta suburbs.

Georgia House Speaker David Ralston has also personally slowed down movement of the GOP House caucus on such hot-button issues as continued expansion of gun rights, Religious Liberty, and a state government takeover of the Atlanta Airport for fear that moving on those issues would exacerbate the growing problems with suburban voters that the GOP is having in parts of the metro Atlanta suburbs that traditionally have been strongholds for the GOP (like the Georgia 6th Congressional District).

Incoming Georgia Governor Brian Kemp has appeared to move away from two hot-button issues like Religious Liberty and (especially) Abortion because those are issues that only serve to intensely alienate the college-educated suburban female voters... The college-educated suburban female voters that have been a dependable voting block for the GOP over the last 20-30 years or so and that are already often feeling extremely alienated from the GOP during the Trump era.

A lot of Republicans and conservatives are understandably fearing that there will be even more legislative seats in the Atlanta suburbs where Republican incumbents will be vulnerable and where Democratic challengers will be competitive in the 2020 election cycle.

And after a very competitive performance that saw Democrats make some noticeable gains in the 2018 election cycle, Democrats are feeling even more emboldened to go after even more GOP-held legislative seats in the Atlanta suburbs in 2020.

Old 01-26-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

A lot of Republicans and conservatives are understandably fearing that there will be even more legislative seats in the Atlanta suburbs where Republican incumbents will be vulnerable and where Democratic challengers will be competitive in the 2020 election cycle.

And after a very competitive performance that saw Democrats make some noticeable gains in the 2018 election cycle, Democrats are feeling even more emboldened to go after even more GOP-held legislative seats in the Atlanta suburbs in 2020.
Vulnerable is good. Being laser focused on the electorate is very good. I have no issue with any Democrats going after seats - it makes each race more competitive.

After years of living in NY and getting taxed, taxed and taxed again, I’ve seen what uncompetitive races are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta