Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 02:23 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times

Advertisements

Being somewhat new to the metro, the one area I haven't really explored yet is Midtown/Downtown.

Apologize if this comes off as naive, but are there any bad areas in Downtown to be avoided (during a Saturday afternoon let's say) from a safety standpoint. I'd hate to find out the hard way. If I'm being honest, I have a fairly low threshold for feeling unsafe.

I'm wanting to head down there with the family to explore sometime after the superbowl hoopla ends.

Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 02:28 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
No, you'll be fine.

Once you go south of The Underground, the environment gets pretty gritty. But being from Detroit, I never felt unsafe.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:30 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,983,256 times
South of Alabama street. I mean it's not actually dangerous, but it's definitely the sketchier side of downtown. Centennial Park and Peachtree Street and the blocks in between are all fine, although desolate on a weekend--weekdays are far better.

Anything north of North Avenue (all of Midtown) is perfectly fine.

The area between downtown and midtown feels desolate on foot but honestly it's fine, especially on Peachtree.

Old 01-22-2019, 03:49 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Being somewhat new to the metro, the one area I haven't really explored yet is Midtown/Downtown.

Apologize if this comes off as naive, but are there any bad areas in Downtown to be avoided (during a Saturday afternoon let's say) from a safety standpoint. I'd hate to find out the hard way. If I'm being honest, I have a fairly low threshold for feeling unsafe.

I'm wanting to head down there with the family to explore sometime after the superbowl hoopla ends.

Thanks for the input!
Then I would say stay north of Underground Atlanta. There's plenty of downtown to explore.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:02 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
The good thing about downtown is there are no ares that look fine, but are really unsafe...or vice versa.

You'll get a really good idea of how safe you are just by observing your surroundings. You're unlikely to accidentally wander into an unsafe area. You'll know it's happening.

Old 01-23-2019, 07:17 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post

Thanks for the input!
During the Super Bowl events is the best time to explore the area!

Old 01-23-2019, 07:46 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,363,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
During the Super Bowl events is the best time to explore the area!

An excellent idea! I'm pretty sure there will be increased security on the streets. I usually wouldn't go to DT on a weekend but when I do, I always walk on the main roads. Please do not use any side streets. I'd follow CQholt's recommendation though.

Old 01-23-2019, 09:19 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
An excellent idea! I'm pretty sure there will be increased security on the streets. I usually wouldn't go to DT on a weekend but when I do, I always walk on the main roads. Please do not use any side streets. I'd follow CQholt's recommendation though.
If y'all only knew. There will eyes everywhere on everyone at all times.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:38 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,363,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If y'all only knew. There will eyes everywhere on everyone at all times.

I don't want to tell you the thoughts that came to mind when you said that lol. But thanks for letting me know.

I re-read my post and this doesn't have anything to do with what you said but I didn't mean to make it sound as if I don't come DT during weekends because of safety reasons. I just don't really have much of a reason to. It's pretty empty where I go on a Saturday/Sunday and so I don't really like that but it shouldn't deter anyone from going with family, especially if they go during Superbowl.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:43 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Occaisionally, my wife and I escape the burbs and head somewhere into town for the weekend. Sort of akin to a weekend getaway but in Atlanta. We'll stay in Buckhead, Midtown and as well as in Downtown. Stayed in Downtown early this past fall - got to the hotel Saturday late morning and left Sunday after lunch. Had a great time wandering around, dining, etc. Never felt the least bit uneasy. In fact, in my opinion, Downtown is better than it was 6 or 7 years ago when I lived much, much closer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: