U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2008, 12:46 PM
 
31 posts, read 87,232 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are considering relocating to the Atlanta area. His job would be in Alpharetta and I would be working in downtown Atlanta.
We have a young daugter, so schools are also very important. We are looking for a convenient location for both of us with access to the metro for me.. Convenient acess to shopping and parks, (family friendly area) would be great, with housing cost preferrably at a max of 300k.
Any advice would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2008, 02:06 PM
 
9,124 posts, read 33,334,451 times
Reputation: 3570
Depending on how much of a commute you're willing to endure, Alpharetta could be a good option for you- good schools, reasonable prices, and convenient to everything (shopping, parks, etc). The most difficult part of your commute could be getting to 400, though, as the roads leading to the exits get jammed up some times. 400 itself can be a bit painful, but not as bad as people often make it sound. Compared to JAX traffic, though, it's a lot heavier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2008, 02:51 PM
 
17 posts, read 71,453 times
Reputation: 26
Geez, STAY in Jax! Are you insane??!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2008, 06:57 PM
 
288 posts, read 849,651 times
Reputation: 68
McFarland area is really nice, my friends have a house up off that exit, and its not as busy as say North Point area. There are some nice subdivisions off of Highway 9 you might look into, and the Polo Fields community is nice as well! The commute up and down 400 to downtown is definitely pretty heavy traffic, unless you leave really early in the morning you may be able to miss some of it. Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
23,120 posts, read 36,450,813 times
Reputation: 15470
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate31410 View Post
Geez, STAY in Jax! Are you insane??!!
LOL gotta laugh at this...I'm an Atlanta native and find myself daydreaming about a move to Jax sometimes...my cousin lives in Riverside; I love that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 05:17 AM
 
Location: Metropolis, USA
1,104 posts, read 1,223,888 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate31410 View Post
Geez, STAY in Jax! Are you insane??!!
Can you explain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 05:24 AM
 
Location: Metropolis, USA
1,104 posts, read 1,223,888 times
Reputation: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
LOL gotta laugh at this...I'm an Atlanta native and find myself daydreaming about a move to Jax sometimes...my cousin lives in Riverside; I love that area.
I just moved to Atlanta from Riverside (Jax). I loved Riverside but once you get to the rest of the city it was a whole different world lol. Jax may be a nice place to visit or live depending one what you like. Luckily I found Inman Park which is almost identical to Riverside. They both even have a 5 Points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 06:41 AM
 
14 posts, read 39,582 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhn View Post
Hi,
My husband and I are considering relocating to the Atlanta area. His job would be in Alpharetta and I would be working in downtown Atlanta.
We have a young daugter, so schools are also very important. We are looking for a convenient location for both of us with access to the metro for me.. Convenient acess to shopping and parks, (family friendly area) would be great, with housing cost preferrably at a max of 300k.
Any advice would be great. Thanks

I suggest looking into Cherokee County, GA. I live in Cherokee County which offers high-scoring award winning schools & 11th fastest growing county nationwide. It is convenient to Alpharetta and also offers a better commute to Atlanta than Alpharetta itself. Cherokee County taxes and housing prices are more reasonable--you will get alot more for your 300K in Cherokee County than in Fulton County. As for convenience and school district I recommend either the Sequoah High School, Dean Rusk Middle School, Mountain Road/Hickory Flat Elementary OR Avery Elem, Creekland Middle, Creekview High districts. Avery/Creekland/Creekview are all new facilities and NOT overcrowded as yet and housing in these districts are alittle more reasonable for a new/er home than far south county (Towne Lake) and less congestion. By the way....all new commercial development along I-20 with major stores in process...VERY nice! Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, MD
293 posts, read 515,382 times
Reputation: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
I just moved to Atlanta from Riverside (Jax). I loved Riverside but once you get to the rest of the city it was a whole different world lol. Jax may be a nice place to visit or live depending one what you like. Luckily I found Inman Park which is almost identical to Riverside. They both even have a 5 Points.
...I lived in J-Ville for three years. I know exactly what you are talking about!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-14-2008, 11:53 AM
 
169 posts, read 477,429 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jena1967 View Post
I suggest looking into Cherokee County, GA. I live in Cherokee County which offers high-scoring award winning schools & 11th fastest growing county nationwide. It is convenient to Alpharetta and also offers a better commute to Atlanta than Alpharetta itself. Cherokee County taxes and housing prices are more reasonable--you will get alot more for your 300K in Cherokee County than in Fulton County. As for convenience and school district I recommend either the Sequoah High School, Dean Rusk Middle School, Mountain Road/Hickory Flat Elementary OR Avery Elem, Creekland Middle, Creekview High districts. Avery/Creekland/Creekview are all new facilities and NOT overcrowded as yet and housing in these districts are alittle more reasonable for a new/er home than far south county (Towne Lake) and less congestion. By the way....all new commercial development along I-20 with major stores in process...VERY nice! Hope this helps!
I'm curious how can Cherokee County make a better commute to Atlanta than Alpharetta when Alpharetta
is south of Cherokee County and closer to Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:55 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top