Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,162,733 times

Advertisements

The new interchange would be between SR 155 and Bill Gardner Pkwy.
I-75/Bethlehem Rd Interchange-Henry County by brandon walker, on Flickr

I-75/Bethlehem Rd Interchange-Henry County by brandon walker, on Flickr
Quote:
To date, all project activities have been funded with Henry County SPLOST IV dollars. Expenditures to date total $238,673 covering the interchange feasibility study and interchange justification report. Remaining funds of $5.2 million are sufficient to cover preliminary engineering and the environmental impact study.

The design process will take two to three years. When the environmental report has been completed, it will be submitted to FHWA before Henry County can receive a final approval to build the new exit.

Right of way acquisition could start in 2021-2022 and take about two years to complete. Construction is tentatively planned to start by 2025 with the new exit open by 2028. Henry County is working with Georgia DOT and the Atlanta Regional Commission to secure state and federal funding to cover right of way and construction. Total project costs are estimated at $40-50 million.
https://movinghenryforward.org/2018/...dministration/

Last edited by Airforceguy; 01-24-2019 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 07:53 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,707,982 times
9 years? My goodness.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:43 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
9 years? My goodness.
Seriously! 9 years?? 2-3 years just to design a simple ramp interchange? Or, looking closer, that's including completely re-aligning Bethlehem Road into new ROW. I don't know anything about this area, but what is this new intersection supposed to solve? I see that it connects to a large distribution warehouse area, but that area seems perfectly accessible from McDonough Rd. Is there an issue at McDonough that this exit will aid? I know that's a big hot-spot for traffic backup.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:23 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Tha would actually be a pretty quick turnaround.

The IJR for Exit 49 on I-85 (Amlajack Interchange) here in Coweta County was submitted about 10 years ago, and they haven't even completed the engineering for it yet.

Meanwhile, the Poplar Road interchange (exit 44 on I-85) has taken 14 years since the IJR, and it still won't open for another few weeks.

Poor Peachtree City / Fayette County have been looking forward to Exit 61 on I-85 (Fairburn) being reconfigured for the longest, yet GDOT keeps blowing them off.

Last edited by citidata18; 01-25-2019 at 12:45 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 04:19 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,699,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Seriously! 9 years?? 2-3 years just to design a simple ramp interchange? Or, looking closer, that's including completely re-aligning Bethlehem Road into new ROW. I don't know anything about this area, but what is this new intersection supposed to solve? I see that it connects to a large distribution warehouse area, but that area seems perfectly accessible from McDonough Rd. Is there an issue at McDonough that this exit will aid? I know that's a big hot-spot for traffic backup.
Traffic backs up significantly on McDonough Road because of all of the semi-trucks feom the warehouses trying to access I-75.

It's a huge PITA/inconvenience for residents and commercials establishments they share that exit with, as it greatly increases their drive times since those semi-trucks take a lot longer getting through intersections, turnings, mergibg onto I-75, etc.

Of course, going down to the Locust Grove exit takes them out of the way and Highway 20 isn't much relief because then you're running into all of the shopping center traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta