U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 12:28 PM

100 posts, read 340,202 times

Advertisements

As far as the difference between exit numbers you have to keep in mind the numbers skip A LOT. There is only FOUR exists between Kennesaw and Cartersville (even less if you consider unincorparted Cartersville). And for the most part anywhere in Cartersville or Acworth will not be a long ride to 75 (there are good connection routes to the interstate from just about anywhere in the two cities), but from a place like Euharlee it will be a long ride.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 02:28 PM

247 posts, read 1,187,095 times
I'm really surprise nobody told you about the HUGE power plant in Cartersville, Plant Bowen. The Bowen plant is the third largest producer of greehouse gas via power generation in the United States, emitting 20.5 million tons of CO2 in the atmosphere each year. I would not want my family living near that.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:20 PM

100 posts, read 340,202 times
Well since most of its pollution goes to other areas in Atlanta and doesn't affect Cartersville that much, that would probably be the main reason it wasn't mentioned. Also, the plant isn't even in Cartersville. It is in the Stilesboro-Taylorsville area. You are better off living in Cartersville than anywhere south of the plant (Paulding, Fulton, Polk, Cobb, etc) since that is where the wind blows most of Plant Bowen's pollution. But I wouldn't live right next to the plant either.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:40 PM

321 posts, read 1,441,389 times
I lived in Cartersville for 5 years, then relocated to Kennesaw. I was on the west side of Cartersville, very near the airport -- also fairly near the power plant, and I was not in the least bit affected by it.

I'd go back to Cartersville in a heartbeat if my SO wasn't so set against it as he works in Marietta and hates a long commute. It is really growing a lot, but in a positive way. There is a huge park there (Dellinger Park) that has trails, a pool, mini-golf, tennis courts and lots of ball fields. There is a new hike-bike path that goes from Old Alabama Road, along Douthit Ferry and joins with Dellinger Park. Lots of new ball fields there too. For those interested in that sort of thing, there is the Booth Museum of Western Art, which is the 2nd largest art museum in the state, and just beautiful! There's the live theater. The downtown area is charming, they have parades at Christmas and July 4th. I lived in the Woodland school district, though no kids, but very desirable.

Housing is very reasonable and varied. There's the brand new Carter Grove Plantation on Old Alabama Road, and Grove Point which is a little more established. It's at Douthit Ferry & Pine Grove Roads. Grove Point has a retail area also, as will Carter Grove. Plus of course lots of existing housing in all price ranges. Waterford is very nice, it's right across the street from Dellinger Park, on Etowah Drive. It's also not hard to find a little bit of acreage at a reasonable price. My old house had a 2/3 acre lot!

I am not a native of GA, but I still felt very comfortable there. If people ask if you're from the area, most of them don't mean it in a negative way. There are enough non-natives that you won't have any trouble. In fact, my next door neighbor became the mayor after he moved out of the neighborhood. He and his wife were Cartersville natives, and really nice folks!

And a lot of people here will say that it's boring. There's no shopping mall -- darn!!

Kennesaw is also nice, but it's very congested.

As for the commute, I lived 10 miles from I-75, but it was a lovely drive down Old Alabama, through the 2 stop signs in Emerson, and right onto 75. Took about 15 minutes. You don't hit a lot of traffic until you get to Kennesaw. With the new communities along Old Alabama, it's going to get a bit more congested, but I know there's a plan in the works to re-route traffic to bypass Emerson, but I have no idea how far in the future that is going to be.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:53 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,495,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
I'm really surprise nobody told you about the HUGE power plant in Cartersville, Plant Bowen. The Bowen plant is the third largest producer of greehouse gas via power generation in the United States, emitting 20.5 million tons of CO2 in the atmosphere each year. I would not want my family living near that.
Wow, CO2 (carbon Dioxide), something humans and other animals emit. You must be paranoid to buy the nonsense about CO2. The "side-effects" of CO2 emissions is junk science, but people had money to make by telling a lot of lies.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:18 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,107,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Wow, CO2 (carbon Dioxide), something humans and other animals emit. You must be paranoid to buy the nonsense about CO2. The "side-effects" of CO2 emissions is junk science, but people had money to make by telling a lot of lies.
LOL.......

People seem to forget there's a difference b/t CO2 and CO, plants take in CO2 and release O2 (oxygen to breathe). Global warming suffers from concentrations of CO, not so much from CO2

Old 04-09-2008, 10:19 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,107,405 times
I forgot to add, If you're only going to KSU and can see you being there for much longer, I'd move farther out 75. Just my opinion.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:48 PM

7 posts, read 41,699 times
I must admit the idea of trying to live where "the wind doesn't blow" gives me pause. Again, this discussion has been immensely helpful. Thanks a ton!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,283 times
Cool I love Cartersville

Cartersville offers a lot to families. The comments about the schools -- I would choose Woodland or Cartersville City. My son went through the Cartersville system from Kindergarten through high school. He is now attending Berry College. If you lean more towards athletics choose Cartersville, more towards the arts go for Woodland.

We have several different entertainment choices. Each summer weekend down on the square in old downtown we have live music and food. The entertainment is free. We have a local theater group offer good plays. Allatoona lake is here if you like that kind of thing - fishing, boating, picnicing. We have the Booth Western Museum, Etowah Indian Mounds, and Tellus. We have several great resturants and we have several great churches.

Our location is great because we are between Atlanta and Chattanooga. Our travel time to Chamblee Tucker Road- no traffic- is 35 minutes. If we go during rush hour it takes an hour.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 3,177 times
Are you looking to buy or rent? When are you moving? I have a new townhouse in Acworth that is really close to Kennesaw. We are probably going to be renting it out. Not sure if you are interested or not. It is 1500 SqFt 3 bed 2.5 bath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta