U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 01:30 PM

7 posts, read 41,699 times

Advertisements

My husband and are moving to the area to work at KSU. We're looking at living in either the Kennesaw/Acworth area or a bit farther out in Cartersville. I'm for the former, and my husband for the latter. Opinions? Are the schools in Bartow county really not as good?

Marlene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 01:59 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,747,323 times
Can't comment on the schools, but maybe someone on the schools thread can (at the top of this room). Cobb schools though are generally considered good so the Acworth/Kennesaw areas would give you that.

Cartersville has some nice areas. More of a "rural suburb" of Atlanta though they hate being called a suburb (their web site is "not atlanta.com" or something like that). Acworth is rapidly growing and expanding and new subdivisions are popping up. Kennesaw has more of the "upper-middle class" type of housing (think Conservative Republican yuppie), and has the most shopping/eating out options.

If you pick Kennesaw, you would want to route your commute to avoid the Barrett Parkway area when going to/from work. It can get extremely backed up and congested at times. Even on weekends after a certain time (1pm or so) it backs up.

Map of area to avoid:

I'd probably pick Cartersville myself just because of the large state park up there and it's a bit more rural, but that's me. None of them are "bad" decisions.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:30 PM

162 posts, read 633,738 times
If you don't mind being reminded that you are an outsider, then you may consider Cartersville. I worked at the hospital out there and have many friends from that area and that is the first thing they ask "are you from Cartersville". Which is so funny because you generally don't hear that in metro Atlanta. Cartersville is a close knit community where every one seems to know every one, but that of course is changing because of the growth out there. Cartersville is nice but you may have more variety in Kennesaw or Acworth, it all depends on what you are looking for. As far as the schools I don't think the schools out in Cartersville are too good, at least that is what I have heard.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:05 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,495,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenerenee View Post
My husband and are moving to the area to work at KSU. We're looking at living in either the Kennesaw/Acworth area or a bit farther out in Cartersville. I'm for the former, and my husband for the latter. Opinions? Are the schools in Bartow county really not as good?

Marlene
Schools in Bartow are better than most in Acworth and Kennesaw.

If you choose Acworth or Kennesaw, I'd suggest schools on the west side of US 41. Schools on the east side of US 41, between 41 and I-75, have really gone downhill, and it is noted that the school environment isn't very conducive to learning. For middle schools, I'd suggest the Durham, Lost Mountain, or McClure districts. For elementary schools, I'd suggest the districts of Frey, Ford, or a few others. Do NOT consider the district of Barber MS, and perhaps do not consider Awtrey MS. These areas have deteriorated in quality over the past five years.

In Bartow County, everything is fine, with the exception of the Cartersville City schools. Though Cartersville City schools aren't as bad as those previously mentioned poor areas of Acworth and Kennesaw, they're not exactly good. I'd recommend the Woodland district of Bartow county, which encompasses the Euharlee, Taylorsville, Kingston, and western edges of Cartersville.

The school environment in Bartow is far superior to what is occuring in Cobb. Cobb County schools have viruently pushed for "progressivism", which amounts to promotion of group work as opposed to individual work. It is churning out rather under-performing kids. The behavior of the children in most Cobb schools is unacceptable. I would only send my child to a handful of the schools, but the more I think of it, I wouldn't, considering its favortism of "progressivism".

The Woodland district of Bartow county is ideal, but Cass is okay, too. Adairsville is good, but it may be too far out of the way. The worst district in Bartow County, outside Cartersville city schools, is South Central. It sits right beside Acworth in the Emerson area.

Last edited by Scraper Enthusiast; 04-08-2008 at 04:19 PM..

Old 04-08-2008, 04:16 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,495,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Cobb View Post
If you don't mind being reminded that you are an outsider, then you may consider Cartersville. I worked at the hospital out there and have many friends from that area and that is the first thing they ask "are you from Cartersville". Which is so funny because you generally don't hear that in metro Atlanta. Cartersville is a close knit community where every one seems to know every one, but that of course is changing because of the growth out there. Cartersville is nice but you may have more variety in Kennesaw or Acworth, it all depends on what you are looking for. As far as the schools I don't think the schools out in Cartersville are too good, at least that is what I have heard.
Cartersville operates much like its own metro area. A large percentage of people in Cartersville consider Kennesaw and Acworth as a different metro area, even though its maybe ten miles away. I figure they do this because there is still a break in development patterns between Acworth and Cartersville around the Emerson area.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:23 PM

78 posts, read 336,953 times
We live in the Kennesaw / Acworth area. We like it here and have had great experiences with both Kennesaw Elementary and Big Shanty. Our daughter has had wonderful teachers and has done very well. We do plan on moving to the Kennesaw Mountain school district before my daughter is in middle school because we are in the Awtrey MS district.
I really like this area. It is not too far from Atlanta and there is everything you could possibly need within a few miles.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:07 AM

100 posts, read 340,202 times
You will be fine with any decision. But depending on where you are coming from you might want to pick either Cartersville or Acworth versus Kennesaw.

Cartersville and Acworth are more mixed communities with incomes ranging from very low to very high and they have a decent diverse population. Kennesaw is more of your traditional subrub that you see in the movies. Upper middle class, less diverse (but still a little diverse), more conservative, rich kids riding around in their nice tricked out cars.

As far as schools, many people HATE Acworth on here and say that the schools are horrible but they are probably not that bad (but then again I have no idea). The schools in Kennesaw are decent with the exception of Harrison, it is probably the best in the Kennesaw area.

As for Cartersville/Bartow County Schools. Woodland is the best in the area. It has a top notch IB program and it is a magnet school for the performing arts. It is on the Westside of Cartersville which offers a wide range of nice houses in more laid back, rural communities. Cass High School is on the Northside of town and is in a more suburban setting, the school isn't all that bad, but when compared to others in the area it is the worst. Cartersville High School is more of the inner city school, but due to A LOT of annexed subdivisions and out of district students it doesn't have an inner city feel to it. It is in Downtown Cartersville and has it own school system and because of this it has more funds to support its programs. And while its AP program is pretty good it still doesn't compare to the IB program at Woodland. But keep in mind, many parents from other areas send their kids to Cartersville so it is considered to be one of the best schools in Metro Atlanta and NW GA.

As far as shopping Kennesaw wins hands down! You can find just about anything you want on Barrett Parkway and that is why there is so much traffic on that road. Acworth and Cartersville pretty much have the same things to offer, with Cartersville having the slight upper hand due to special offerings of restaurants like D'Morgans, Appalachian Grill, Knight's, and Hearth & Harvest that bring in people from all over Metro Atlanta, NW GA, and even Tennessee to dine out.

Since you will be working in Kennesaw location will not matter because there is probably only 15 miles (at the most) between Cartersville and Kennesaw with Acworth being in between so they are all VERY close to each other.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:54 AM

7 posts, read 41,699 times
These replies really help. i'm leaning toward either the district of the new allatoona hs in acworth or that of woodland---i guess now we just have to visit and see what we think. will living in cartersville make the trip the atlanta airport that much more of a hassle?

Old 04-09-2008, 12:12 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,302,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlenerenee View Post
These replies really help. i'm leaning toward either the district of the new allatoona hs in acworth or that of woodland---i guess now we just have to visit and see what we think. will living in cartersville make the trip the atlanta airport that much more of a hassle?
Well, it's definitely going to be a longer ride.....

The Cartersville exits on 75 are in the 288-290 range, whereas Kennesaw is around 268-271, so you're around 20 miles further from the airport. Alot will depend on where in Cartersville or Acworth you end up living, as either one could result in a fairly long drive just to get to 75.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:23 PM

100 posts, read 340,202 times
Driving from Cartersville instead of Kennesaw will not add much time on to a trip to the airport because the traffic on 75 doesn't begin until you get into Kennesaw. You will be riding just fine out of Cartersville and then when you hit Kennesaw !BAM!, it becomes a parking lot! If you are leaving at non rush hour times then your trip will be fine from both cities (you just have to know how to get around construction work then, lol)

BTW, parts of Acworth (unincorparted) are in the Woodland district. But for the most part those areas are not as nice as those on the Cobb County side of Acworth. So if you want to move to the Woodland district then I would suggest the Cartersville parts (close to shopping but still rural) or the Euharlee parts (too rural and far out from shopping for me but it is a nice bedroom community, houses are cheap, and lots of nice family subdivisions.)

Check for a house in the Cartersville airport area, they are in Woodland district but still not far from the shopping areas of Cartersville.

Last edited by Yeahitsme; 04-09-2008 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta