U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:23 PM

7 posts, read 21,585 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Kennesaw, GA in July, and I am bi-racial. I have two young boys who are bi-racial, and their father is Caucasian. I have never been to Georgia, and was wondering about Diversity in that area. I'm from the Boston area, and people keep telling me that racism is still very bad down there. I'm hesitant about the move. Can someone please help me. I raise my children to be very open-minded to everyone. I would appreciate any information pertaining to this subject or anything about that area. I also wanted to know about Baker School, and Shiloh Green apartment homes. Please reply.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,302,386 times
While Kennesaw isn't the most "diverse" area of the Atlanta metro, it's not likely that you'll encounter any problems there outside of the occasional stare. Most of what you hear about racism down here (especially when you hear it from people in other parts of the country who've never lived here) is much overblown.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Thanks BobKovacs and I appreciate your feedback.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:57 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,720,608 times
Kennesaw is surprisingly diverse and solidly middle-class, with the exception of some wealthier areas closer to Kennesaw Mountain. Your kids probably won't be the only bi-racial kids in their school. For the past 10-15 years, Kennesaw has attracted middle-class families of all backgrounds who seek a more conventional suburban community.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,495,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Kennesaw is surprisingly diverse and solidly middle-class, with the exception of some wealthier areas closer to Kennesaw Mountain. Your kids probably won't be the only bi-racial kids in their school. For the past 10-15 years, Kennesaw has attracted middle-class families of all backgrounds who seek a more conventional suburban community.
Basically you're promoting the de-whiteification of Kennesaw. It's not like we haven't seen enough of that in tons of other metro Atlanta areas.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:32 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,747,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Basically you're promoting the de-whiteification of Kennesaw. It's not like we haven't seen enough of that in tons of other metro Atlanta areas.
Um... it's not like a single unemployed parent with 10 kids on Section 8 from New Orleans is asking about Kennesaw Scraper - calm down. I have a feeling Kennesaw will survive a middle-class family with bi-racial children.

___

To answer the OP, Kennesaw is typically what in the past was seen as the, "White, upper-middle income, conservative, Republican, Southern Baptist, yuppy" area. That was probably a pretty accurate representation as well until the Olympics, but once that hit people started coming in from pretty much all over the world throughout the metro area - including Kennesaw.

Today, Kennesaw has (beside bad traffic) one of the busiest Costco stores in the U.S. where if you go there on any given day, you will most likely hear at least 4-5 different languages being spoken by the shoppers. Eat at a local restaurant and there will be a "scattering" of people from varied other places, or the occasional white family who has adopted an Asian child (which seems oddly popular in this area - I suppose it's trendy and people around there DO like to keep up on trends - think "Orange County, CA" but not liberal and with a slight twang).

Yes, it's still yuppie. It's still majority white. It's still majority conservative Republican, but it's changing. So far, not for the bad - just lots more people (and traffic). The schools in North Cobb are generally very good and it has one of the lower crime rates in the metro area. Your kids shouldn't encounter any troubles at all, unless you send them to school in dreds and gangsta rap clothing in which case they'll catch hell from the kids and be sent home (pretty much the same in any school). Somehow I doubt you're the type of folks to do that, though.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 PM

14,390 posts, read 23,064,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staisee View Post
I will be relocating to Kennesaw, GA in July, and I am bi-racial. I have two young boys who are bi-racial, and their father is Caucasian. I have never been to Georgia, and was wondering about Diversity in that area. I'm from the Boston area, and people keep telling me that racism is still very bad down there. I'm hesitant about the move. Can someone please help me. I raise my children to be very open-minded to everyone. I would appreciate any information pertaining to this subject or anything about that area. I also wanted to know about Baker School, and Shiloh Green apartment homes. Please reply.......
Baker is a good school and is actually very diverse. It feeds into Barber Middle (good) and North Cobb High (great).

All three schools are diverse. You will like them.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:02 AM

1,178 posts, read 3,495,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Baker is a good school and is actually very diverse. It feeds into Barber Middle (good) and North Cobb High (great).

All three schools are diverse. You will like them.
Barber Middle School is not a good school, not by any stretch of the imagination.
North Cobb High is not good.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:29 AM

12,046 posts, read 11,509,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ0104 View Post
I don't know about people from Boston, but people from California (my point of origin) think all kinds of wierd things about Georgia that are off-base (people from Georgia have strange ideas about California too, but that's another topic). I seriously doubt you or your kids will encounter more racism in this area than where you would any other major metro area. Boston is a bastion of liberalism, but it also has its own issues with race. I think more of a determining factor of whether or not you're happy here is how suburban you're willing to live. If you're looking for a good, solid suburban life with a reasonable COL, you'll be very happy here. The schools will also probably pleasantly surprise you. If you're expecting an urban lifestyle on the cheap, you'll probably be disappointed. Even the hippest most urban neighborhoods in city central Atlanta don't have much of a city feel compared to many other places.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied with some feedback.... I am looking for a good area to raise a family, and from what I hear, Kennesaw sounds like it's on the top of my list. Does anyone know anything about the Shiloh Green apt. community?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta