Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2008, 09:11 PM

206 posts, read 1,013,365 times

Advertisements

Hello to All,

I noticed a lot on this forum that when asked what counties/ towns to stay out of it is mostly mentioned that Dekalb is definitely one , but to all Bad there is sum good . So, I wanted to know where are the suburbs in either area if anyone knows mainly Dekalb . Any and all suggestions helps.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 09:22 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
???? I don't think I've heard any posters on this board write off the entire county of DeKalb before; sure, it has its' sketchy neighborhoods, but within its borders lie

Brookhaven
Druid Hills
Emory
Decatur
Lake Claire
Dunwoody
Oak Grove

and a lot more really great neighborhoods.
I wouldn't live anywhere else (OK, well, when my lottery numbers come in, Ansley Park here I come).

Old 04-10-2008, 10:12 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,383 times
Stay away from Clayton County, at least for now. Not only has safety concerns grown there, but recent loss of accreditation of their schools will make property values plummet.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Tucker is a good suburb in Dekalb.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Didn't mean to omit Tucker from my list! Tucker is good and IMO only going to get better, especially "downtown".

Old 04-11-2008, 07:06 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I vote for Tucker too. Especially in the Livsey Elementary district. The homes are "affordable".

Like the previous poster mentioned, Clayton County is having some accreditation issues at the moment. I do think that will effect home prices in a negative manner.

Know that the Golden Rule of Real Estate applies to almost every property:

Location and school districts.

The quality of schools has a strong influence in the value of homes. Of course it is a big concern with parents and that's why this forum has it on top of the forum for everyone to refer to.

Oh and don't forget that there is a section of Tucker that is in DeKalb and a section in Gwinnett.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:16 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post

Oh and don't forget that there is a section of Tucker that is in DeKalb and a section in Gwinnett.

That's true. The vast majority of Tucker is in Dekalb, but it does cross the county line.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:07 AM

206 posts, read 1,013,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
???? I don't think I've heard any posters on this board write off the entire county of DeKalb before; sure, it has its' sketchy neighborhoods, but within its borders lie

Brookhaven
Druid Hills
Emory
Decatur
Lake Claire
Dunwoody
Oak Grove

and a lot more really great neighborhoods.
I wouldn't live anywhere else (OK, well, when my lottery numbers come in, Ansley Park here I come).
No, I haven't saw any postings that have completely wrote off the entire county of Dekalb but I was just curious and thanks for the input on Clayton , I hear and saw so much -and I heard so much bought Dekalb just didn't have the suburbian areas and I know it was some.

So i assume the Schools are good in those locations listed.? I was just concerned because my children are small - 8, 6 and 3 and they are in a charter school and I saw another forum that read the waiting list game or something to that effect So I know I would have to go through public school.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:48 AM

Yes the schools are by and large good in those neighborhoods, but you have to do your evaluation school by school in DeKalb.
The posters on here that are boosting Tucker are doing so with good reason...there are some great and affordable neighborhoods there...check out the elementary schools (Livsey and Evansdale are the ones I know), and since you have an 8 yo you should check out Henderson and Tucker Middle Schools as well (although IMO Henderson has the edge here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta