Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 05:44 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,337,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
So, do folks on motorized scooters get to pick and choose when they are pedestrians? Had one going down the center lane of Ponce/Scott Bvd after dark, but then you see them speeding down sidewalks and through crosswalks. Enforcing bad behavior on these seems like an impossible task (maybe put cameras on these to record the actions of the riders?)

I'll be honest and say when they came out, I didn't know that they weren't allowed on sidewalks due to the amount of people I saw riding them on sidewalks.

I'd say unless you're walking with a scooter, you should be on the road when it's in use. Putting cameras up would be a good idea...not sure where GSU has them in the area. I don't think cameras would necessarily deter people from riding them on the sidewalk. There should be signs as right now there aren't any on campus I've seen and unfortunately the police will have to start ticketing people because it really is out of hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
It's not the scooter companies job to enforce local ordinances. Idiots will be idiots no matter on a scooter, walking, on a bike, or in a car.

I see what you're saying but the scooter companies need to make it so that when people use their products, they return them to a location where they must park them upright and out of the way of people walking. I was thinking like how they have bike stands or what have you and unless they return it to one, they get charged a fee. I know that this would increase costs for the companies and it would be a pain for consumers because people love putting **** anywhere they want, but I'm tired of seeing scooters in the walkway.

I was going to take a picture today just to show you how they are in the middle of the sidewalk (and not all sidewalks are wide and even the wide ones get crowded). What should happen if people start tripping over them (I know they are suppose to look where they are going but still)? Who would get sued? Would it be the business nearest where it was left, the city? I'm really asking I don't know. What I do know is that so far it's regular citizens having to put them out of the way, which is a nuisance but even more importantly, a safety concern.

The scooter companies need to do more. It's not their job to enforce ordinances but I'm pretty sure they are the ones parking them on the sidewalks. I'm thinking Atlanta police will have to start enforcing the rule sooner than later.

Another question...are they paying the city to have their scooters everywhere like that? The sidewalk is public property and so I do wonder especially with places like GSU, are they getting taxed?

Old 02-06-2019, 07:17 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,898,122 times
I was leaving a hotel recently and there was a guy coming out who was in a wheelchair who couldn't get down the sidewalk to meet his Uber because there was a scooter in the middle of the sidewalk. It is like giant, metal litter.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:31 PM

@Pinetreelover I agree. I legit want to take a bat to those things.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:22 PM

1,979 posts, read 1,273,367 times
Perhaps the cities could authorize the car-booting companies to put a boot on improperly parked scooters, or "tow" them to a lot that charges a $20 a day storage fee.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:56 AM

1,005 posts, read 721,297 times
I've seen more bikes here in the West End area than I've seen scooters, and more scooters closer to the AUC. But then you just hop over a couple streets near the Westside and scooters are just everywhere... not so much near four-lane Northside but blegh. I have, however, been seeing far more of these scooters upright than strewn about the sidewalks and roads. Maybe something's changed.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:26 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,766,678 times
Decatur has begun regulating the scooters—they have come to an agreement with Lime, but not Bird. As I read it, Decatur is requiring Lime to pay $4000 a year, and essentially be responsive to the City’s requests for distribution and pickup and such.

https://decaturish.com/2019/02/decat...-be-impounded/

Old 02-07-2019, 11:20 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
Perhaps the cities could authorize the car-booting companies to put a boot on improperly parked scooters, or "tow" them to a lot that charges a $20 a day storage fee.
City of Atlanta Dept of Public Works began removing illegally placed scooters and impounding them.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtZB5JNg..._web_copy_link

Old 02-07-2019, 12:33 PM

1,697 posts, read 2,239,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
City of Atlanta Dept of Public Works began removing illegally placed scooters and impounding them.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtZB5JNg..._web_copy_link
That’s great news, in my opinion. My main issue with them has been the way they are parked, although I have had someone riding on the sidewalk run into me. Some may defend the companies and say that the customers are responsible for the way they park them, but I doubt the companies would be able to convince the Department of Public Works that they shouldn’t have to pay to get them out of impound because a customer parked a scooter illegally.

Old 02-07-2019, 12:40 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
That’s great news, in my opinion. My main issue with them has been the way they are parked, although I have had someone riding on the sidewalk run into me. Some may defend the companies and say that the customers are responsible for the way they park them, but I doubt the companies would be able to convince the Department of Public Works that they shouldn’t have to pay to get them out of impound because a customer parked a scooter illegally.
IMO the scooter companies aren't going to pay to get them out of impound, cheaper to just drop new ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta