Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Overall Religious Leaning of MVPS
Very Liberal Protestant 1 100.00%
Moderately Liberal Protestant 0 0%
Moderately Conservative / Evangelical 0 0%
Very Conservative / Evangelical 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 04:06 PM

6 posts, read 9,999 times

Advertisements

Hi! Can anyone who has children at Mount Vernon (or has relevant knowledge about the school)—particularly upper school students—please expand a little bit on the theological leanings of the school?

Obviously it is Christian and Presbyterian—presumably PCUSA Presbyterian, assuming it's closely aligned with the church on the same property, which it may not be. But those designations still leave room for wondering more specifically what religious life is like at the school (at the upper school in particular).

For example, is Mount Vernon a school that is accepting of openly gay students or teachers? (I'm using this particular question as a quick litmus test to better understand its overall vibe).

And of course, the answer to this question may well be "it's in the process of changing."

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 04:46 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,855,128 times
I don't have children there, but do have other connections to the school. I would call it "Christian lite" and they have, indeed, had gay and trans students there before/now. It is not in the same evangelical vein as a Wesleyan or a Whitefield Academy. I don't know the ins and outs of the upper school schedule, but I think that there is chapel and I know they have a praise band, for example, but I don't religion is heavily emphasized other than a general Judeo-Christian foundation. If anyone else has better information, feel free to correct me though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta