U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:32 AM

31 posts, read 87,194 times

Advertisements

What are the best places to live in downtown atlanta, in regards to acessibility to public transportation, shopping and dog friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:04 AM

21,871 posts, read 13,426,870 times
I have several questions before I can answer your question.

1. What is your definition of downtown Atlanta? I consider downtown Atlanta as the Philips Arena and the Georgia State while some people consider Inman Park as downtown.

2. Are you purchasing something or are you planning to rent?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:27 AM

That is a good question I am not that familair with the area. We currently rent from equity apartments and are able to transfer without penalties, so we are looking to continue renting until we get an idea of where we would want to liveWe will be visiting the area soon to view apartments.
some apartments they have are Savannah Midtown at 215 North Avenue and there is also one at 1660 Peechtree street, there is also the Savannah at park place at 31 perimeter Center East. Just want to know if we are looking in the right areas and safety is also a concern.
thanks for your help.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:34 AM

Sorry about that, should have been more specific. I will check out that information. thanks

Old 04-09-2008, 11:09 AM

Here's my two cents worth:

Savannah Midtown appears to be a nice place. You could easily walk to the local Publix and Walgreens as they are literally next door. There is Central Park - it's not the nicest park in my opinion - but at least you will have some grass for your dog. I would not be walking around late at night at Central Park - but you should be fine during the day. You could also walk to a couple of restaurants but not much in terms of small local shops.

Park Place is not downtown - it's around Perimeter Mall.

Where will you be working? The closest MARTA station around Savannah would probably be Civic Center Station.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:37 AM

I knew that park place isnt downtown, it was one of the apartments that we thought were nice.

From your response, I would say that Savannah midtown wouldnt be a top choice.
My husband is transferring within his company and there are some various possibility which are outside of the city, but I am looking at some opportunities in the city.
We figured maybe it would be easier moving to a new city to meet people and get acquinted by starting out in the city. Is this a good idea when it comes to Atlanta?
I have lived and did undergrad in philadelphia, which I loved, so figured why not try looking in the city. Are the two cities a god comparison. They say it is a difference visiting there than actually living there, so just looking for insider advice to see if this is a right choice. We heard buckhead was nice too, not too sure about the commute to downtown. Are we better off in the suburbs?

Old 04-09-2008, 11:40 AM

425 posts, read 1,609,812 times
When you say downtown, I think of Fairlie Poplar district (ex: 123 Luckie) and the general area where the eateries are located (Rosa's, Loaf & Kettle, etc...).

Old 04-09-2008, 12:25 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,567,013 times
1660 Peachtree street is a good location and you would be located in-between Buckhead & Midtown and not far from Piedmont Park either Arts Center Marta station is located down the street and Atlantic Station is close as well. I think that location would be best for city living by far!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhn View Post
That is a good question I am not that familair with the area. We currently rent from equity apartments and are able to transfer without penalties, so we are looking to continue renting until we get an idea of where we would want to liveWe will be visiting the area soon to view apartments.
some apartments they have are Savannah Midtown at 215 North Avenue and there is also one at 1660 Peechtree street, there is also the Savannah at park place at 31 perimeter Center East. Just want to know if we are looking in the right areas and safety is also a concern.
thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amhn View Post
I knew that park place isnt downtown, it was one of the apartments that we thought were nice.

From your response, I would say that Savannah midtown wouldnt be a top choice.
My husband is transferring within his company and there are some various possibility which are outside of the city, but I am looking at some opportunities in the city.
We figured maybe it would be easier moving to a new city to meet people and get acquinted by starting out in the city. Is this a good idea when it comes to Atlanta?
I have lived and did undergrad in philadelphia, which I loved, so figured why not try looking in the city. Are the two cities a god comparison. They say it is a difference visiting there than actually living there, so just looking for insider advice to see if this is a right choice. We heard buckhead was nice too, not too sure about the commute to downtown. Are we better off in the suburbs?
I think that it still depends on where you both plan to work. Our public transportation is not the best for the city but you could always find a "Park and Ride" station where you could park your car and then take the subway. MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority is the website.

In terms of location, burbs or city - I think it is all a lifestyle question. Certainly you could be happy living in either location but I am a city kind of guy.

Philly, in my opinion is more urban than Atlanta. If you will be working truly in downtown, then I would think that Savannah Midtown would be a good choice.

Some restaurants around Savannah within walking distance or a very quick drive:

Sushi Restaurant Bar, Midtown, Atlanta, Georgia, GA, 30308
O'Terrill's -- Good Food and Drink
http://www.thaipalate.com/
Get your hot doughnuts - literally Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
Top Floor : DiningGuide Restaurant Profile of Top Floor in Atlanta Georgia (Top Floor)

You should come down for a weekend and see the area. You would be just blocks away from the Fox Theater. The Fox Theatre - Atlanta, GA - Sweeney Todd, Jerry Seinfeld, Dolly Parton

Check with Savannah at Midtown to see if there is a dog walk within the facility as that would be nice and solve your late night outings.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:17 PM

Hi, Thank you so much for all the advice, we are planning a trip up there.
One more question for you You said you are a city guy, if you were given the opportunity to move in the city, where would your first choice be and why?
thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or