Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2019, 09:33 AM

1 posts, read 797 times

Advertisements

I'm traveling to Atlanta for an interview for a job in the Cumberland area later this week and have some questions to help me decide where to live if offered the job and I accept.

1. I'm 30, single, and I don't want to spend more than $1,400 on rent. It seems that with that budget depending on location I could get something ranging from a studio in Midtown to a small house in Smyrna correct?

2. Where is the largest concentration of nightclubs and bars on a single street? Kind of like a "Carson Street" in Pittsburgh? From 10-year old articles it appears to be "Crescent Ave" in Midtown but I don't know this to be true?

3. Where is the largest concentration of nightclubs and bars catering to the "successful young professional"crowd? And where do they tend to live?

4. Where is the largest concentration of nightclubs and bars catering to the young "working class" crowd? And where do they tend to live?

5. Where is the largest concentration of nightclubs and bars catering to hip hop/rap?

6. Is the social club for the Atlanta Hawks any good? I heard its open bar, buffet, and couches for people to socialize during the basketball games?

7. From Google Maps traffic, traveling northbound from Midtown to Cumberland on I-75 seems to be 20 minutes in the morning and the same trip in the evening southbound from Cumberland to Midtown seems to be the same?

8. How far is too far to take home ladies from the club? Like if I am clubbing in midtown and say I have a house in Smyrna, would that look bad or okay?

9. Any areas that would have a negative connotation if I say I live there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 11:09 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,750,558 times
No you can't get a small house for $1,400 in Smyrna - at least not one that a 30 something young professional would want to live in. You might be able to rent a small condo in the area.

20 minutes Midtown to Smyrna and vice versa is too optimistic during the week. That might be true on the weekend when you are out clubbing but not during commute times during the week. Also makes a big difference if you are talking about inside I-285 in the Cumberland/Vinings area or outside I-285 in the Smyrna area.

I am just 2 miles from I-285 in Smyrna and the best I could hope for during regular commute times would be 30 minutes. I would set expectations higher than that.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM

821 posts, read 720,117 times
I can answer the club part. Buckhead and Midtown are where the majority are concentrated.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:36 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,979,428 times
Quote:
7. From Google Maps traffic, traveling northbound from Midtown to Cumberland on I-75 seems to be 20 minutes in the morning and the same trip in the evening southbound from Cumberland to Midtown seems to be the same?
Yeah, good luck with that. Traffic southbound on the connector in the afternoons starting at around 3:30pm and lasting until about 7:30pm is some of the worst the city has to offer. Your commute home would be miserable.

Quote:
8. How far is too far to take home ladies from the club?
Depends on two things: what kind of ladies, and how much game you got. Since you asked that question, it seems like you are interested in hook-ups, not dating. I once knew a guy who was so good at it, he could get people to come home with him to Jonesboro. But that's not gonna work for 99% of the people out there. If you're hoping to get random hook-ups to come with you from a nightclub, you better stick to midtown or Buckhead. It's the difference between, "My place is right up the street!" and "hang on, let me give you directions..." I think every minute that passes between the club and your house gives "this is going to be great!" more time to turn into "going home with some rando I just met tonight may not be the best idea."

Quote:
9. Any areas that would have a negative connotation if I say I live there?
Depends who you ask. From the lifestyle you have, I'd say anything outside midtown or Buckhead is a big no. You can reassess in a few years, when your lifestyle has changed and you no longer need to overpay to live in a hip area. But for now, it seems like the cache of a good address is going to be worth it for you.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:44 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,321,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
20 minutes Midtown to Smyrna and vice versa is too optimistic during the week. That might be true on the weekend when you are out clubbing but not during commute times during the week. Also makes a big difference if you are talking about inside I-285 in the Cumberland/Vinings area or outside I-285 in the Smyrna area.

I am just 2 miles from I-285 in Smyrna and the best I could hope for during regular commute times would be 30 minutes. I would set expectations higher than that.
Yes, this does make a difference. I live just across the river (in Atlanta) from the southern part of Smyrna/Vinings. The trip into midtown, even at peak times, is not bad at all. If you head up further into Smyrna, north of 285 or towards the Cumberland area, the commute will get much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Yeah, good luck with that. Traffic southbound on the connector in the afternoons starting at around 3:30pm and lasting until about 7:30pm is some of the worst the city has to offer. Your commute home would be miserable.
In the afternoons from Smyrna to Midtown, go around on Atlanta Rd/Marietta Blvd/Marietta St. Will cut that commute time in half.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life_Restart_Button View Post
I'm traveling to Atlanta for an interview for a job in the Cumberland area later this week and have some questions to help me decide where to live if offered the job and I accept.

1. I'm 30, single, and I don't want to spend more than $1,400 on rent. It seems that with that budget depending on location I could get something ranging from a studio in Midtown to a small house in Smyrna correct?

2. Where is the largest concentration of nightclubs and bars on a single street? Kind of like a "Carson Street" in Pittsburgh? From 10-year old articles it appears to be "Crescent Ave" in Midtown but I don't know this to be true?

3. Where is the largest concentration of nightclubs and bars catering to the "successful young professional"crowd? And where do they tend to live?

4. Where is the largest concentration of nightclubs and bars catering to the young "working class" crowd? And where do they tend to live?

5. Where is the largest concentration of nightclubs and bars catering to hip hop/rap?

6. Is the social club for the Atlanta Hawks any good? I heard its open bar, buffet, and couches for people to socialize during the basketball games?
I'm not a club guy, so I don't know anything specifically about clubs. But, if you are working in Cumberland and want to live near a lot of bars, restaurants, and stuff, you might look into West Midtown (Howell Mill around 10th and 14th). I have looked at numerous apartments' websites, and it looks like you might be able to swing a newer 1-bedroom for $1,400. That's the bottom level listed on most of their pages, so I don't know what's actually available. It's a pretty easy commute to and from Cumberland...easier than the middle of Midtown.

That area of Howell Mill is lined with bars and restaurants. There is also "The Compound", which is a busy hip hop club, just around the corner on Brady. At least, I think it's still there and active. I know it used to bring a pretty huge crowd, as we'd get in the middle of it while dining in the area. It would also get you much closer to clubs in Midtown from which you could bring ladies home if you're good at that.

Quote:
Morning yes. Evening, no.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:05 AM

93 posts, read 82,187 times
With your age, interests, and work location I would pick somewhere closer to Midtown or Buckhead or inbetween.

That way you can take Uber/Lyft and not have to risk driving while intoxicated. You will save on valet parking and surge pricing is really not an issue outside of the Friday night dinner hours. There are a ton of ride-share drivers here.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:19 AM

3,698 posts, read 5,945,128 times
Based on OP's questions I think he needs to hit the life restart button yet again.

Buckhead is where you want to be. Please don't come to Midtown.

Cumberland is an easy commute.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:35 AM

2,302 posts, read 2,967,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Based on OP's questions I think he needs to hit the life restart button yet again.

Buckhead is where you want to be. Please don't come to Midtown.

Cumberland is an easy commute.
As a resident of Buckhead, I disagree. You should def concentrate on Midtown.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:16 AM

197 posts, read 182,648 times
LOL please don't move to Atlanta.

Old 02-25-2019, 05:54 PM

893 posts, read 1,319,281 times
Look into west midtown:
Avana westside
507 bishop
The mark

I think you can get a 1 bedroom for 1500 over there and their very nice.

You can take huff rd to w. marietta to s. Atlanta road and be in Cumberland in less than 20mins without even getting on the highway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta