U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:22 PM

3,479 posts, read 6,483,043 times

Advertisements

Woodstock is a nice area, but I only envision the commute to I-285 getting worse with time, given the influx of people to Atlanta and their tendency to relocate to the outer burbs.

Honestly, consider what you value the most, and I think that you will find that family time is important. If you can work around the major rush hours, then commuting will not be terrible. But if you do a 9-5 job, then things will not be pleasant at all.

I believe Smyrna is a great area and you would fit in well there and still have very good schools (I don't think Woodstock schools are bad, but they aren't on the top of the list.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 01:23 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,178,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletnice View Post
we would like to start a family down the road so we would like to be in a safe family friendly environment with good schools, just in case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
Woodstock is a nice area, but I only envision the commute to I-285 getting worse with time, given the influx of people to Atlanta and their tendency to relocate to the outer burbs.

Honestly, consider what you value the most, and I think that you will find that family time is important. If you can work around the major rush hours, then commuting will not be terrible. But if you do a 9-5 job, then things will not be pleasant at all.

I believe Smyrna is a great area and you would fit in well there and still have very good schools (I don't think Woodstock schools are bad, but they aren't on the top of the list.)
Given that the original poster hasn't started a family yet but would like to, "down the road", I'm with wxjay. People seem to think the Smyrna area schools are getting better all the time. By the time skilletnice is likely to be actually sending a child to school, the school situation in both Smyrna and Woodstock will likely have evolved some and meanwhile, the traffic is likely only going to keep on getting worse.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:31 PM

49 posts, read 148,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
I think you are right about traffic. Fortunately, my DH is an early bird...and is in a somewhat flexible position. And, like I posted earlier...to get to exit 8 on 575...his WORST days leaving @ 5:30 have been an hour.

Anyhow, I just have to say that the nail in the coffin for me with Smyrna was schools. Yes, Teasley elementary is a good school. But, depending on what you are looking for in a school...the middle / high school options are not impressive. If you intend to go the private school route, there are few better places than Smyrna - great location in regards to several private schools. Cherokee county schools (I'm talking south CC....not rural...not woodstock) are quite good.

Since I already have 1 in elementary school...middle school is not that far off...and we didn't want to knowingly buy in a place where we weren't impressed with the next school in the pipeline. Granted, things can change anywhere....but I didn't want to go into it knowing that in 4 years I was going to have to move or go private.

I definitely think you have to rank what is important to you, personally. And one factor is how long you want this house to last you. We have bought different homes over the years, each with a different need in that regard.

This time I wanted a house where I could stay put, until I had kids out of the house. Granted, we might not do that...but I wanted to buy one knowing that...if that is how things play out...I'm happy with this house meeting those needs....so schools had to rank highly - the whole pipeline of schools.

Just my $0.02, of course.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:38 PM

49 posts, read 148,524 times
And actually, I would say....if you think this is a 7-ish year house....go to Smyrna.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:27 PM

157 posts, read 274,057 times
And these areas are safe.......right?

Old 04-19-2008, 03:38 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,853,583 times
Woodstock and Canton -- mark them off your list unless you want to live in your car and use your home for sleep only!!! This is no joke. You have so many nice options in East Cobb and Sandy Springs. This gives you a choice of two counties. Many people would love to have your problem. You are on the right track when you state that you are scared of the commute. The shorter the commute in metro Atlanta, the happier you will be. This is the simple rule of thumb.

Old 04-19-2008, 04:16 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,295,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Woodstock and Canton -- mark them off your list unless you want to live in your car and use your home for sleep only!!! This is no joke. You have so many nice options in East Cobb and Sandy Springs. This gives you a choice of two counties. Many people would love to have your problem. You are on the right track when you state that you are scared of the commute. The shorter the commute in metro Atlanta, the happier you will be. This is the simple rule of thumb.
Exaggerate much???? While I'll agree that the commute from Canton/Woodstock isn't the shortest thing in the world, it's not as bad as people make it out to be- especially if you've got a slightly flexible work schedule.

So they buy a house in East Cobb off of Trickum Road, and spend 30-40 minutes weaving through backroads to get to 75 at the 120 loop- and this is better than hopping on 575 and merging onto 75 how, exactly?

Old 04-19-2008, 07:00 PM

157 posts, read 274,057 times
BobKovvacs,

I knew you would jump in on my thread. I hear that the commute into down town is horrible. Being that i am outside will that still be a mess? any words of wisdom for the alpharetta area? we have friends who live in canton (bridgemill) we like the houses in this area.......if i have to be at work at 730 is that not early enough?

Old 04-20-2008, 05:16 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,295,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletnice View Post
BobKovvacs,

I knew you would jump in on my thread. I hear that the commute into down town is horrible. Being that i am outside will that still be a mess? any words of wisdom for the alpharetta area? we have friends who live in canton (bridgemill) we like the houses in this area.......if i have to be at work at 730 is that not early enough?
I'd say that's early enough. If you leave the house by 6, you'll be in the office by 7. If you leave at 6:30, you may be late some days. It's all a matter of what you're willing to tolerate in order to live where you want to live.

The commute from Alpharetta can be just as bad- especially if you get very far from 400. Just getting to 400 on some of the connector roads out there can be more painful than the whole commute from Canton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or