Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 10:43 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
GWCC hosted 3 million visitors in 2017 so there's still another 50 million out there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...=1557415756994
We're getting pretty off-topic, but those numbers are shaky. This report below shows San Francisco with 24.6 million, less than Dallas. Does anybody believe Atlanta gets twice as many leisure visitors as San Francisco?

Atlanta and Dallas are not tourist cities.

https://www.sftravel.com/article/san...g-year-tourism

Old 05-11-2019, 11:47 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
We're getting pretty off-topic, but those numbers are shaky. This report below shows San Francisco with 24.6 million, less than Dallas. Does anybody believe Atlanta gets twice as many leisure visitors as San Francisco?

That's probably an apples-to-oranges conversation going there. How many people travel here specifically to see the CoA, versus those who travel to San Francisco specifically to see San Francisco?

Old 05-11-2019, 12:32 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
That's probably an apples-to-oranges conversation going there. How many people travel here specifically to see the CoA, versus those who travel to San Francisco specifically to see San Francisco?
I'm sure people travel to see CoA on a fairly regular basis but Atlanta in general is not known for tourism especially in comparison to locations like Orlando, Miami, New Orleans, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington D.C. and New York. Atlanta like Dallas is a live/work, business hub and a large host to intercontinental travel and business. There are still plenty of things to do and see within the metro for outsiders but I can think of several other get away hubs long before I would take a vacation in the metro, no offense to it its just... that's not Atlantas theme.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:52 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,157,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm sure people travel to see CoA on a fairly regular basis but Atlanta in general is not known for tourism especially in comparison to locations like Orlando, Miami, New Orleans, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington D.C. and New York. Atlanta like Dallas is a live/work, business hub and a large host to intercontinental travel and business. There are still plenty of things to do and see within the metro for outsiders but I can think of several other get away hubs long before I would take a vacation in the metro, no offense to it its just... that's not Atlantas theme.
I wasn't arguing against that. I agree that San Fran probably gets more tourists than here. No, I was arguing about the tourist numbers and conclusions drawn from them.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:23 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post

Then explain why Atlanta has more hotel rooms than San Francisco. Many more.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:36 PM

11,801 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Then explain why Atlanta has more hotel rooms than San Francisco. Many more.
There could be many reasons for that.

I personally believe however a LARGE portion of that is due to international and domestic business affairs due to Atlanta being a large international hub. San Francisco while being a coastal city, is not a hub. In fact even on the interstate you actually have to go out of the way to reach San Francisco as it does not exist on any primary routes except for I-80 where as Atlanta exists on three heavily traveled primary routes (I-75 / I-85 and I-20) and all three are necessary for inter-commercial traffic throughout the Southeastern and somewhat Midwestern region. That alone (not accounting for Atlanta's well known history for being a hub) logistically positions Atlanta in a far more favorable place in terms of visiting traffic than San Francisco.

Another thing however about San Francsico is, in general -- unless you don't live in the Pacific, there's almost no reason to visit it unless you've never been - everything you can see in San Fran / minus the Golden Gate Bridge - you can also see in Los Angeles or Seattle / Portland, the rest of the continent is fairly 'far' from San Francisco. For those who don't live in the Pacific, it is a pretty interesting place however.

Personally, I believe this is mainly due to logistical positioning being wildly different between the two metro's.

Old 05-12-2019, 06:55 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
There could be many reasons for that.

I personally believe however a LARGE portion of that is due to international and domestic business affairs due to Atlanta being a large international hub. San Francisco while being a coastal city, is not a hub. In fact even on the interstate you actually have to go out of the way to reach San Francisco as it does not exist on any primary routes except for I-80 where as Atlanta exists on three heavily traveled primary routes (I-75 / I-85 and I-20) and all three are necessary for inter-commercial traffic throughout the Southeastern and somewhat Midwestern region. That alone (not accounting for Atlanta's well known history for being a hub) logistically positions Atlanta in a far more favorable place in terms of visiting traffic than San Francisco.

Another thing however about San Francsico is, in general -- unless you don't live in the Pacific, there's almost no reason to visit it unless you've never been - everything you can see in San Fran / minus the Golden Gate Bridge - you can also see in Los Angeles or Seattle / Portland, the rest of the continent is fairly 'far' from San Francisco. For those who don't live in the Pacific, it is a pretty interesting place however.

Personally, I believe this is mainly due to logistical positioning being wildly different between the two metro's.
Exactly.

This is the regional hub for a much broader and more heavily populated area than San Francisco. This is just the latest example of bu2 scoffing at and minimizing the importance of Atlanta and its place in the world.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:02 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
Atlanta sees so many visitors mainly due to Hartsfield and its transient nature as a business hub for both domestic and international causes. Neither Dallas or Atlanta are known for vacationing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Exactly.

This is the regional hub for a much broader and more heavily populated area than San Francisco. This is just the latest example of bu2 scoffing at and minimizing the importance of Atlanta and its place in the world.

A lot of people on here are clueless, has nothing to do with the airport traffic in itself it's not being counted. Believe it or not Atlanta is a destination for people that live in smaller cities from the southeast on the weekends and it's also a destination for a huge number of events, concerts, festivals, especially for blacks including Black Gay Pride week. Try getting a room here on a holiday weekend like Labor Day and you will see. Not sure about the exact numbers, I think the numbers on these lists might be a little suspect but nevertheless, from most lists I've seen Atlanta is still a top ten travel destination in the US in terms of raw numbers of visitors when you wouldn't expect it to be. It's probably the same reason that Atlanta is a top five city for number of Facebook likes as mentioned on the general US thread. The definition of "tourism" is probably cloudy in this instance though to be fair. They're probably counting people that come from around the southeast for short weekend trips to go to concerts or just to do things like shop, whereas San Francisco, Vegas, and Orlando most people are actually visiting those cities for world renowned tourist attractions. It's really all related to Atlanta's regional influence in the Southeast. When I lived inn Alabama for instance, for people who didn't travel much anywhere, going to Atlanta was a big deal for them.

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...in-the-us.html

Last edited by Huntsville_secede; 05-13-2019 at 08:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta