Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 05:44 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I assume you've read the bill, Need4Camaro? And you fully understand it, since you're commenting on it here?

I read thru all of it a couple times- the bill most definitely does improve the framework for MARTA access/ability in the region. It's mostly good, as most of it is just adding tons of new options and flexibility for all the counties, and not taking anything away.

Except that one line about heavy rail in N Fulton, that likely had to be slipped in there in order to gain support. But it's not like that was about to happen if not for this- it was already shot down and replaced with this BRT plan before the bill passed. It just made it official, it wasn't going to happen anyway for lack of referendum funds.
IIRC they were reconsidering extending the Red Line to Alpharetta prior to that bill passing and I believe most of us thought that rebranding MARTA into ATL would dis-associate HRT from the MARTA stigma which 'in hope' would have assisted it, that along with entitling every county under one brand would have theoretically removed the boundaries that has haulted HRT expansion for decades. I personally believe MARTA HRT expansion has been intentfully designed to fail from our political leaders, not our voting commuters.

The BRT system they have planned would be okay for those inter-commuting between N.Fulton, but to Atlanta? That is 3 different transfers.
-- Transfer 1 is the local bus to take you to a BRT station (or walking there)
-- Transfer 2 is North Springs
-- Transfer 3 is the local bus within Downtown

It may get steam...but I doubt anywhere near as much as HRT would have.

The BRT system in place there to me just looks like a bandaid or a 'bonus' so to speak behind their reasoning of building the HOT lanes.

As for the rest of the 'ATL' system -- I'm sure buses will be more in sync and better coordinated but the real issue never was them to begin with - the lack of train connectivity was the issue.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:15 PM

561 posts, read 781,142 times
Michigan Lefts just work. We need them here, but it won't happen due to public ignorance/fear of them and/or space constraints on many routes.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:16 PM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Well, there shouldn't be signals at individual businesses unless they are huge shopping centers, which is what I think you meant.

Yes diverging diamonds only work at freeway/interstate junctions.

Roundabouts are reducing wait times and smog after people learn to use them.
No. I'm referring to left turns that aren't signalized.

Roundabouts work in some places. They don't work in others, especially very busy intersections. Have you ever used a 3 lane wide roundabout? Its difficult.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:18 PM
bu2

24,102 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
IIRC they were reconsidering extending the Red Line to Alpharetta prior to that bill passing and I believe most of us thought that rebranding MARTA into ATL would dis-associate HRT from the MARTA stigma which 'in hope' would have assisted it, that along with entitling every county under one brand would have theoretically removed the boundaries that has haulted HRT expansion for decades. I personally believe MARTA HRT expansion has been intentfully designed to fail from our political leaders, not our voting commuters.

The BRT system they have planned would be okay for those inter-commuting between N.Fulton, but to Atlanta? That is 3 different transfers.
-- Transfer 1 is the local bus to take you to a BRT station (or walking there)
-- Transfer 2 is North Springs
-- Transfer 3 is the local bus within Downtown

It may get steam...but I doubt anywhere near as much as HRT would have.

The BRT system in place there to me just looks like a bandaid or a 'bonus' so to speak behind their reasoning of building the HOT lanes.

As for the rest of the 'ATL' system -- I'm sure buses will be more in sync and better coordinated but the real issue never was them to begin with - the lack of train connectivity was the issue.
The standard is that you lose 25-40% of riders with each transfer.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:30 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The standard is that you lose 25-40% of riders with each transfer.
and the same will happen if light rail extensions are built rather than continuing with heavy rail.

Even if what you can build is less for now, the time to make the transition will dissuade thousands of potential riders.

I wish we could convince them that the cost difference is worth it to extend our heavy rail.

No American city will ever be able to build heavy rail from scratch so we need to exploit this valuable asset, not starting building bourgeois light rail like the little cities.

Old 05-07-2019, 09:29 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
Michigan Lefts just work. We need them here, but it won't happen due to public ignorance/fear of them and/or space constraints on many routes.
They have pros and cons, like anything else. They do reduce collision points, but require you to drive somewhat further, and possibly stop up to three separate times in order to complete what would have been the left turn. At a busy intersection, this could make what was the left turn easily take five minutes.

The only place they could be implemented here would be suburban highways. Nowhere in the developed area has the space.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:13 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
and the same will happen if light rail extensions are built rather than continuing with heavy rail.

Even if what you can build is less for now, the time to make the transition will dissuade thousands of potential riders.

I wish we could convince them that the cost difference is worth it to extend our heavy rail.

No American city will ever be able to build heavy rail from scratch so we need to exploit this valuable asset, not starting building bourgeois light rail like the little cities.
I remember when they were proposing LRT from North Springs.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:41 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I remember when they were proposing LRT from North Springs.
Ah, memories.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:02 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Ah, memories.
And people on here were against that too because it required a transfer, same with BRT. One thing is with the BRT and toll lanes, it's like a compromise between private auto drivers and transit riders, even though it would be better if we somehow extended the Red Line and still put toll lanes on 400. Of course funding and space makes that nearly impossible.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
And people on here were against that too because it required a transfer, same with BRT. One thing is with the BRT and toll lanes, it's like a compromise between private auto drivers and transit riders, even though it would be better if we somehow extended the Red Line and still put toll lanes on 400. Of course funding and space makes that nearly impossible.
Passage of HB 930 (creation of The ATL) made that impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta