U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 09:19 AM

5,871 posts, read 4,302,188 times

Advertisements

SR 400 Express Lanes Visualization
Rate this post positively

Old 02-28-2019, 09:43 AM

23,729 posts, read 19,155,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
First choke point for BRT; where the Express Lanes lose their barrier and mix with general lanes at Pitts Rd.
Glad to see in-line BRT Stations: Holcomb Bridge Rd, North Point Mall, Old Milton Pkwy.
For $1.8B North Fulton is getting 14-lanes of freeway cut thru their area.

Old 02-28-2019, 10:38 AM

5,871 posts, read 4,302,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
First choke point for BRT; where the Express Lanes lose their barrier and mix with general lanes at Pitts Rd.
That choke-point is going to be a disaster.

Quote:
Glad to see in-line BRT Stations: Holcomb Bridge Rd, North Point Mall, Old Milton Pkwy.
Those will probably be cut back when the inevitable cost increases start coming in.

Quote:
For $1.8B North Fulton is getting 14-lanes of freeway cut thru their area.
And you'll STILL have people complaining that the lanes aren't "free."

Old 02-28-2019, 11:37 AM

5,634 posts, read 3,876,610 times
Well, this looks pretty awful.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Well, this looks pretty awful.
I know all those lanes, at a stand-still with red lights stretching to the horizon. How magical.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:20 PM

30,394 posts, read 28,558,830 times
Is this where the high speed buses would run?

Old 02-28-2019, 12:36 PM

6,549 posts, read 3,971,608 times
I wish they'd cancel this stupid boondoggle, and extend the Red Line from N Springs to Windward. Take the cars off 400, don't put more on. All this displacement and cost, for what exactly? Just encouraging more cars, and where are these cars going to go and going to funnel into? Are they adding managed lanes along all the surface roads too? If not, then how does this really solve commute traffic issues? It just moves the bottleneck points and makes the surface roads even worse.

Residents of N Fulton pay for MARTA and could have had the unique opportunity to have a one-seat train ride to lots of jobs at Perimeter Center, Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown, and to the airport. While bypassing all the traffic congestion of 400.

Roswell I think has population like almost 100,000... so how do you justify Roswell funding and participating in MARTA (which is a metropolitan entity, not just for Atlanta), all these decades, and not getting a single train station for it.

How many people live in Avondale Estates? Like 2,000? And they get 2 heavy rail stations to serve their neighborhood.

Man, this whole metro and the way it's run is just completely backwards. As is this state. Screw it all, that's my analysis.

Old 02-28-2019, 12:53 PM

5,845 posts, read 4,785,112 times
I went over to the first of the public meetings for this project this morning. Boy are people down in Sandy Springs going to get the short end of the stick.

First of all, there are dozens of homes slated for demolition. Many of these homes are for the lanes themselves, some of them are for rebuilding local bridges.

Second, it's very clear that when they designed the 285/400 interchange project, they didn't plan for these lanes. What they're going to do just north of North Springs station is have three pairs of lane sets--one for mainline 400, one for 400 collector-distributor, and a third for the express lanes. Taken together, 400 will go from four lanes per direction to one of the widest freeways in the state.

Third, all that demolition does not include even more homes that will be taken along 285 for their own express lanes.

Finally, this would all but kill the Red Line expansion. There would simply be nowhere to put it without taking even more homes. I talked to one of the officials there, and he said that MARTA is satisfied with the BRT expansion. Let that sink in: MARTA is on board with this, despite public meeting after public meeting where citizens made it crystal clear that they wanted rail despite its cost. So GADOT did not put into the design any sort of space for a future rail expansion.

The only way I can see saving room for future Red Line expansion is to axe the BRT expansion entirely and to rework the Sandy Springs portion of the design. The lanes need to go up, not out. Without BRT, MARTA will still be looking for a solution, and they'll need not just the funding but the physical room to do it. Now once you get into Roswell and north, there's more room on either side of 400, so space isn't as big of a problem there. But that 5 miles or so from North Springs to the Chattahoochee is going to be a problem.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:55 PM

4,234 posts, read 5,213,928 times
given what i've seen atlanta do recently for "business" and "world class" status i will not be surprised if this crazy thing gets built. someday in the far future it might be a like our pyramids, this bizarre web of concrete ploughed through the forest that people come from far away to see.

i think being inside cars around all of these things is kind of deceptive, just the amount of people fit into the huge space is so terribly inefficient. the cars make it look like there are just millions of people on the road. take this image from WABE:

http://mediad.publicbroadcasting.net...Traffic_12.jpg

how many people are in the image? it looks like it could be hundreds of people but there are less than 80 cars in the image.

Last edited by Beretta; 03-23-2019 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: copyright infringement; post links to pics only

Old 02-28-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I wish they'd cancel this stupid boondoggle, and extend the Red Line from N Springs to Windward. Take the cars off 400, don't put more on. All this displacement and cost, for what exactly? Just encouraging more cars, and where are these cars going to go and going to funnel into? Are they adding managed lanes along all the surface roads too? If not, then how does this really solve commute traffic issues? It just moves the bottleneck points and makes the surface roads even worse.

Residents of N Fulton pay for MARTA and could have had the unique opportunity to have a one-seat train ride to lots of jobs at Perimeter Center, Buckhead, Midtown, Downtown, and to the airport. While bypassing all the traffic congestion of 400.

Roswell I think has population like almost 100,000... so how do you justify Roswell funding and participating in MARTA (which is a metropolitan entity, not just for Atlanta), all these decades, and not getting a single train station for it.

How many people live in Avondale Estates? Like 2,000? And they get 2 heavy rail stations to serve their neighborhood.

Man, this whole metro and the way it's run is just completely backwards. As is this state. Screw it all, that's my analysis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I went over to the first of the public meetings for this project this morning. Boy are people down in Sandy Springs going to get the short end of the stick.

First of all, there are dozens of homes slated for demolition. Many of these homes are for the lanes themselves, some of them are for rebuilding local bridges.

Second, it's very clear that when they designed the 285/400 interchange project, they didn't plan for these lanes. What they're going to do just north of North Springs station is have three pairs of lane sets--one for mainline 400, one for 400 collector-distributor, and a third for the express lanes. Taken together, 400 will go from four lanes per direction to one of the widest freeways in the state.

Third, all that demolition does not include even more homes that will be taken along 285 for their own express lanes.

Finally, this would all but kill the Red Line expansion. There would simply be nowhere to put it without taking even more homes. I talked to one of the officials there, and he said that MARTA is satisfied with the BRT expansion. Let that sink in: MARTA is on board with this, despite public meeting after public meeting where citizens made it crystal clear that they wanted rail despite its cost. So GADOT did not put into the design any sort of space for a future rail expansion.

The only way I can see saving room for future Red Line expansion is to axe the BRT expansion entirely and to rework the Sandy Springs portion of the design. The lanes need to go up, not out. Without BRT, MARTA will still be looking for a solution, and they'll need not just the funding but the physical room to do it. Now once you get into Roswell and north, there's more room on either side of 400, so space isn't as big of a problem there. But that 5 miles or so from North Springs to the Chattahoochee is going to be a problem.
Majority of the blame lays at the feet of North Fulton mayors and county commissioners, who could have pushed for a Red Line extension over this project, but didn't. Even Johns Creek was against rail.

Rail extension into North Fulton is DEAD, this was put into HB 930 which created ATL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or