Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times

Advertisements

Since you are making house size a priority, I was going to suggest the NE Atlanta suburbs, which include

LaVista Park
Victoria Estates
Leafmore/Creek Park Hills
Sagamore Hills
Oak Grove
Briarcliff Woods
Echo Woods
Echo Lake
Breckenridge
Amberwood
Briarlake
Cravey Dr area

These are great neighborhoods convenient to Tech, and you'll get a bit more bang for your buck than you would in the NW Atlanta suburbs IMO.
There is quite a bit of new construction in these established neighborhoods, sizable houses with prices generally $800M-1.6MM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 08:06 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,710 times
I actually photograph virtual tours of intown homes for sale for other real estate agents and I know of 2 homes on the market right now that might suit many of your requirements. You can view the virtual tours at:

Lavista Park homes for sale - intown Atlanta homes for sale - 1403 Sheridan Road (http://www.showing247.com/1403sheridan/ - broken link)

Brookhaven homes for sale - Buckhead homes for sale - intown Atlanta homes for sale - 27 Brookhaven Drive (http://www.showing247.com/27brookhaven/ - broken link)

Both are convenient commutes to Georgia Tech. One has a heated saltwater pool, the other has room to add a pool. Both have 5 bedrooms and are priced a little over $1 million.

Taking a look should at least give you an idea for what $1+ million will buy.

I'm actually working on another virtual tour at the moment for a $1,100,000 house in Midtown that has both a pool and a 2-car garage (extremely rare in Midtown) but it only has 4 bedrooms. It's a spectacular true Arts & Crafts mansion with new kitchen and master bath. I'll post a link when the tour is finished if you'd like to see it.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
I actually photograph virtual tours of intown homes for sale for other real estate agents and I know of 2 homes on the market right now that might suit many of your requirements. You can view the virtual tours at:

Lavista Park homes for sale - intown Atlanta homes for sale - 1403 Sheridan Road (http://www.showing247.com/1403sheridan/ - broken link)

Brookhaven homes for sale - Buckhead homes for sale - intown Atlanta homes for sale - 27 Brookhaven Drive (http://www.showing247.com/27brookhaven/ - broken link)
Amazing, and just goes to show you what "location, location, location" really means- I could buy either of those homes brand new with the same level of finish in Cherokee County for under $400k all day.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:27 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Amazing, and just goes to show you what "location, location, location" really means- I could buy either of those homes brand new with the same level of finish in Cherokee County for under $400k all day.

I'm not familiar with Cherokee county prices, but I tend to doubt that. Regardless of the specifics, however, you can certainly get far more for your money the further out you're willing to go, but not everyone wants to spend their life on the expressway driving back and forth in traffic and then at the end of the day be stuck out in the country away from everything. There's a lot less land intown and we won't be finding any more than we have already so each little patch has more people interested in owning it.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:36 AM

6 posts, read 19,153 times
Hi,
I live in Midtown and love it. I am about 7 blocks from GA Tech. I will be moving though and have 2 condos I need to sell or rent. 2BR/2.5BA, 3 level, and 2BR/1.5A, 2 level.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Default An Alternate - Peachtree Hills

Alternate:

If you can handle just a few miles North of the downtown/Midtown area, there is a very nice area called "Peachtree Hills".

Peachtree Hills has some really nice older homes (some larger) and it has a nice neighborhood feel to it with a lot of trees, etc. The location is excellent, because you're not far from downtown/Midtown, but you're also very close to "Buckhead", which is the northern area of the city where you'll find a couple of higher-end large malls, lots of restaurants, and a soon to be completed high-end shopping district called "The Streets of Buckhead" which will be completed next year sometime.

Peachtree Hills is also close to the Lindbergh MARTA rail station, which has a large parking lot, so you could use the rail when needed (or even walk to it from certain parts of that neighborhood.

A map of the Peachtree Hills area is HERE.

Here's some more links with info:

Peachtree Hills Civic Association - Home Page

Peachtree Hills Neighborhood Information, Schools, Real Estate, Population Demographics Information for Peachtree Hills - ajchomefinder.com (http://homes.ajchomefinder.com/neighborhoods/profile.asp?nhid=155 - broken link)

Peachtree Hills Atlanta restaurants | Restaurant menus, reviews and maps on urbanspoon.com

Old 04-11-2008, 09:53 PM

49 posts, read 166,596 times
What about Brookwood Hills?
It's beautiful and right by Tech....I believe your price range could work there.

I do not know about the schools...but they have a community swim, etc.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:13 AM

9 posts, read 18,703 times
Default Traffic

Heh heh, laughing, traffic is a Nightmare with a capital N. Be prepared to be afraid for your life. I stay home alot more now that we live here. And "bad" is just not descriptive or severe enough for what traffic is here.

Old 05-23-2008, 02:49 PM

151 posts, read 526,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Perhaps, but unless you work near there you'd actually be living in your car.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:16 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postprime View Post
Perhaps, but unless you work near there you'd actually be living in your car.
Depends on your work schedule. I work in the heart of downtown and my morning commute at 6am is less than 45 minutes, and the drive home at 4pm is under an hour on most days. I'm gone before the kids get up in the morning, so the length of my commute doesn't affect family time anyway, and I'm home way before dinner. I'll take that deal over spending $1 million+ for a house any day.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta