Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 12:53 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Based on what I've read, and what I know about Oracle in Austin, I don't believe anything is official for Nashville. I can believe CEO Ellison is scouting Nashville what with Amazon officially announcing its plans but Oracle only a year ago this month opened a new campus in Austin and has an additional 20 acres of available land on that site. Oracle's hub in Austin could eventually employ 10,000 people.

When I see Ellison or one of his senior charges at the Podium in Nashville, I'll believe it.
I doubt the journalists for these publication would risk ruining their reputations by leaking this information if it wasn't a done deal.

https://www.nashvillepost.com/busine...local-presence

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill..._news_headline

You may technically be right, but If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck, there's no reason to think it's anything other than a duck.

Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 02:41 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
How is Tennessee getting Oracle and Amazon jobs with a Religious Liberty Law on the books? Goes against what people on here have been saying. How is this possible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Because of an active, concentrated entertainment district that is fun and safe?

Just a guess.
Both of you are wrong. Their corporate welfare game is stronger. Yeah, luring companies like that is good for headlines, but longer term do the costs outweigh the benefits?

Old 03-08-2019, 03:32 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
I see them both as good things. Traditional big banking are generally for the very wealthy and those with good lawyers. Ted Turner did not believe God- so anything with his name on should be gone. I think Atlanta identity will be stronger- especially in technology.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:39 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Both of you are wrong. Their corporate welfare game is stronger. Yeah, luring companies like that is good for headlines, but longer term do the costs outweigh the benefits?
I seriously doubt that Nashville/TN offered more in incentives for HQ2 than Atlanta/GA. And when it comes to highly-skilled jobs like that, incentives play a more secondary role anyway since Amazon didn't pick the places that offered the most in incentives.

I think any differences in most incentive packages offered by booming major Southern cities and their states (the Triangle, Charlotte, Atlanta, Nashville, Dallas, Austin, etc.) is pretty negligible anyway.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:52 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
If I remember correctly, Nashville offered a whopping $128 million in total for HQ2.

I suspect the fact that the lady leading the search is a native of Nashville had more to do with them landing the operations center.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:05 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I see them both as good things. Traditional big banking are generally for the very wealthy and those with good lawyers. Ted Turner did not believe God- so anything with his name on should be gone. I think Atlanta identity will be stronger- especially in technology.

I'm not sure I'm understanding this. Are you saying because he was atheist that anything with his name on it should be done away with?

Old 03-09-2019, 09:23 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Yeah, I mean ther....wait, what??? If you don’t believe in God then you shouldn’t have anything named after you? Is this for real?

Old 03-09-2019, 06:04 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I doubt the journalists for these publication would risk ruining their reputations by leaking this information if it wasn't a done deal.

You may technically be right, but If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and talks like a duck, there's no reason to think it's anything other than a duck.

Just saying.
When I see Ellison at the podium, then I'll believe it. Amazon and Apple were scouting towns too. Raleigh was so sure Apple was going to pick them then as soon as Amazon said it was going to NYC and D.C., Apple announced it would build a second Austin campus to go with the first one opened almost four years ago. THAT came from APPLE not a journalist report on scouting.

Samsung scouted several cities about -5-6 years ago, looking to expand its chip-making production in the U.S. Albany, NY thought it might get it. Again, OFFICIAL word came from SAMSUNG who decided to just expand its plant in Austin.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:57 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

Just saying.

as a for instance, I did a post in another forum about Google leasing 100% of an office building in Austin but again Alphabet has made now. So I take it as speculation until the company announces it.

Old 03-10-2019, 04:47 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,362,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yeah, I mean ther....wait, what??? If you don’t believe in God then you shouldn’t have anything named after you? Is this for real?

We have powers out there that are still trying to silence people who identify as atheists/agnostics and so I'm not surprised that such a comment was made in relation to Turner.

I believe I saw something about some people from Suntrust visiting GSU to talk with the students. I'm curious if Suntrust will even have a presence in Atlanta by the time the majority of the students graduate.

One thing I notice is that I'm not hearing about people moving to Atlanta for finance. You know what...I might actually do a thread on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta