Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 08:39 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Wonder what has to have happened in your life to be the one wielding an instrument of death and blaming those that get in your way as the danger?

We have the numbers. We know drivers are at fault most of the time. We got to get serious about stopping this killing.
So by this I guess you also think that when someone (in a car or not) gets hit by a train, it's the train's fault?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 10:55 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Quote:
Wonder what has to have happened in your life to be the one wielding an instrument of death and blaming those that get in your way as the danger?

We have the numbers. We know drivers are at fault most of the time. We got to get serious about stopping this killing.
All I know is that I didn’t hit any of the five or so bikers going the wrong way through the roundabout. They are not dead because I did more than just follow the rules of the road they chose to ignore, and if the fifty or so other bikers in this enthusiast group can’t correct their own, they are part of the problem.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:14 AM

2,324 posts, read 2,905,224 times
Does anyone know which city dept I can contact and ask for more crosswalks installed in my neighborhood?

Old 07-24-2019, 07:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
When cyclists develop a sense of entitlement and arrogance, it won't save them from being killed. 4000-6000 pound vehicles regularly turn onto side streets. It just so happens that such maneuvers cross over bike lanes. You will lose, every time. We don't make 90-degree turns (successfully) at 35 mph, look for turn signals or brake lights. Even if someone fails to signal, you'll see brakes. It just might save your life.
Just riding a bicycle does not make one feel entitled or arrogant. Trust me those people feel the same when driving a car too. Yes I have seen some entitled and arrogant behavior from cyclists and call them out on it, because it makes me look bad, upsets drivers and then they could take their anger out on me.
Drivers need to be aware on streets with bike lanes when performing turn movements to look for bicycles. At the same time, cyclists need to ride defensively SLOW DOWN. I try and stay out of drivers blindspots and anticipate a right hook when approaching intersections. I check vehicles turn signals, etc. when riding and watch out for drivers who are blinded by sun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Does anyone know which city dept I can contact and ask for more crosswalks installed in my neighborhood?
To start with, request crosswalks with ATL311. Then talk with your councilmember.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:39 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
All I know is that I didn’t hit any of the five or so bikers going the wrong way through the roundabout. They are not dead because I did more than just follow the rules of the road they chose to ignore, and if the fifty or so other bikers in this enthusiast group can’t correct their own, they are part of the problem.
Not running down five bikers is normal behavior. Congratulations. Did you stop and ask them to thank you for not killing them?

Being a good moral human being trumps the "rules of the road".

It is not reasonable to expect pedestrians to follow all jaywalking laws, cars to follow speeding laws, nor bikes to follow all the same laws as cars. It just isn't going to happen.

Of course the number show when fatalities happen, the driver is usually the one at fault. They are the one not following the rules of the road.

We need to design out streets to be safe for all in that reality. That means using design to slow the cars so uses can mix or providing protected facilities for other users.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:47 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBurgh View Post
Public works does the implementation but I'd start by lobbying your council member. It would help if you can get a petition signed by your neighbors.

Old 07-24-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Not running down five bikers is normal behavior. Congratulations. Did you stop and ask them to thank you for not killing them?

Being a good moral human being trumps the "rules of the road".

It is not reasonable to expect pedestrians to follow all jaywalking laws, cars to follow speeding laws, nor bikes to follow all the same laws as cars. It just isn't going to happen.

Of course the number show when fatalities happen, the driver is usually the one at fault. They are the one not following the rules of the road.

We need to design out streets to be safe for all in that reality. That means using design to slow the cars so uses can mix or providing protected facilities for other users.
jsvh, the point of my post is not that I did anything wonderful. I worked to the best of my abilities not to hurt another human being—I work to keep people safe. But, the bikers in this group were NOT doing their part. They ignored the clearly marked arrows and bike symbols on the road, and did what felt good at the time. Their intentional acts made it more difficult for me to keep them safe. If they pull the same maneuver x number of times, eventually it will have a very bad outcome, and some folks will instinctively blame the car driver.
Especially disconcerting is that these bikers were apparently part of a biking club with 50 or so participating at this time, and I am sure that more then a few of these members argue for safer roads, and protest whenever there is biker involved in an automobile accident.

And, not that it matters to you, I want more bike lanes and for everyone to behave responsibly. Even as I realize that some people are irresponsible whether they are driving a car or riding a bike, I am still especially discouraged that a bicycle enthusiast group could behave so irresponsibly, and that someone like you, who obviously wants safer roads response to this is dismissive sarcasm.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:06 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,869,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
jsvh, the point of my post is not that I did anything wonderful. I worked to the best of my abilities not to hurt another human being—I work to keep people safe. But, the bikers in this group were NOT doing their part. They ignored the clearly marked arrows and bike symbols on the road, and did what felt good at the time. Their intentional acts made it more difficult for me to keep them safe. If they pull the same maneuver x number of times, eventually it will have a very bad outcome, and some folks will instinctively blame the car driver.
Especially disconcerting is that these bikers were apparently part of a biking club with 50 or so participating at this time, and I am sure that more then a few of these members argue for safer roads, and protest whenever there is biker involved in an automobile accident.

And, not that it matters to you, I want more bike lanes and for everyone to behave responsibly. Even as I realize that some people are irresponsible whether they are driving a car or riding a bike, I am still especially discouraged that a bicycle enthusiast group could behave so irresponsibly, and that someone like you, who obviously wants safer roads response to this is dismissive sarcasm.
And what if I told you that bikes and pedestrians breaking the law made them safer?

Bikes / pedestrians going before the light is green. "Idaho Stop". Taking the entire car lane instead of staying in bike-gutter-lane all show indications it is the safer way to go.

https://ggwash.org/view/71937/why-pe...-safety-advice

Being visible to drivers is key. Those bikers going the wrong way through the middle of the round-a-bout got noticed (and thus avoided) by drivers. However, like the scooter rider killed last week, if they tried hugging the gutter on the edge of traffic they are likely to get crushed by a vehicle that doesn't even realize they are there.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:31 AM

Quote:
And what if I told you that bikes and pedestrians breaking the law made them safer?
I would say that you are a zealot and a terrible advocate for bicyclists and pedestrians.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:31 AM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Not sure if it's mentioned before, but one thing that doesn't help is the law that bikers have to ride on the road and not on the sidewalks. I think Georgia is the only state with that law, that I know of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta