U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 PM

4,457 posts, read 6,278,895 times

Advertisements

She may as well save her money and go to coppin, morgan, umes or bowie state before coming here for cau...jmho...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 06:44 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,564,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
She may as well save her money and go to coppin, morgan, umes or bowie state before coming here for cau...jmho...
Your certainly entitled to your opionion but lets be honest here...

Those schools are rated lower than Clark Atlanta University by far Undergraduately and on The Graduate level. Clark Atlanta University produces the most African-American Business and Mass Communications than any school in America and Top companies and graduate schools recruit the business graduates yearly. The Business School & The Mass Media Department are included as some of the best in the country. CAU is highly rated in the Eduacation and Social Work as well. You cannot discount the exposure you receive being in Atlanta and also in the AUC Atlanta University Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia with Morehouse, ITC and Spelman.

Also CAU draws it's students nationally and from all over the world whereas the schools you mentioned above are regional schools (state schools) with most of the students coming from the surrounding area which limits the exposure the student may receive. CAU is a Private Comprehensive University...It's not even close and most people know that. You just dont here CAU students having to constantly brag about it...Find A Way or Make One... Clark Atlanta University

Old 02-04-2010, 07:46 AM

CAU has gotten the short hand of the stick due to the economy.

I don't know, if you have been on campus but the student population this semester is pretty low. Then again, CAU always has a high fall enrollment and extreme swing in the Spring. They have dropped so many classes due to the lack of students. My current world lit class has 5 people in it and it was alot more enrolled but I guess they didn't get financially enrolled and were dropped.

Their great for Mass Communication and Business.

Either way, I was looking to it from an economic standpoint.

MSU is $3,200 for 1 semester. CAU is $6800+ (need to check my account). CAU, most students have to get private loans to cover the difference in between their FA and cost.

Sadly, I've been hearing alot of folks planning on leaving CAU and not returning in the fall because they don't think their getting their monies worth here. Hell, I'm thinking about going to GSU and I like it here (most due to the class times, its hard to get into classes these days).

I don't know, if it was different when you were here about 5 years ago but the vibe has been pretty somber lately...

Old 02-04-2010, 08:05 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,564,783 times
You can say the economy has been hard on all colleges but of course they will always hit HBCU harder...The same cycle happens everyear and people from all the AUC schools and Private HBCU's many times end up transfering to their local state school or back home to save money or because their parents can no longer afford it. Everyone I know who had to transfer mostly regretted it but in the end your getting your education. That's what matters most .

Economy hits historically black colleges hard - CNN.com

Old 02-04-2010, 11:57 AM

1,910 posts, read 4,167,738 times
Gunner20, Atlanta is a great town and a very large city, but I think the way your girlfriend thinks is why several people are disappointed when they get to ATL. Sounds like she has unrealistic expectations.

Lets analyze. Baltimore is actually a more densely populated and more urban atmosphere than Atlanta, so how could someone from Baltimore expect to come to Atlanta and be "blown away" and "dazzled" at the big city life of ATL when it's actually less urban than Bmore? ATL is great, but it's not some densely populated city like the ones up in the Northeast or Chicago, LA, San Fran.

She'll be just fine and probably wont experience any more "wildness" than she did in B-More, and find ATL to be more laid back than back at the house, so she'll be just fine.

People come to Atlanta expecting everything to look and be like some BET video and thats just not the case.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:04 PM

Yea, I've seen that article and I knew the girl in it too...

It doesn't help that private loan market has gotten more restrictive since the crisis either.

Dont even get me started on the CAU FA office....If GSU can give me peace alone on that topic, goodbye lol...

Quote:
Lets analyze. Baltimore is actually a more densely populated and more urban atmosphere than Atlanta, so how could someone from Baltimore expect to come to Atlanta and be "blown away" and "dazzled" at the big city life of ATL when it's actually less urban than Bmore?
True. 5 Points/Peachtree Street remind me of Greenmount Ave in B-more or downtown on Fayette or Baltimore Street.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,490 times
Default Your feed back is welcomed.

Hello , I am new to the forum, and I am not sure if you are still willing to talk with anyone regarding your experience. My daughter was accepted to the Clark and at one point we did not think we could afford it, but I think we can, I did not understand the process and the financial package they sent to us. I would love to get your feed back, we live in California. I also wanted to know what you thought the college. I am not even sure where to look for a reply, I guess my personal email , if not I will log back into this forum and look for your reply,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
This isn't really a good forum to ask that type of question because many aren't too informated on this subject but as a Clark Atlanta University graduate I can tell you that the University offers excellent programs in Business & Mass Communications, Engineering dual degree with GA Tech & a host of other programs on the undergraduate & graduate level. I attended CAU from 1998-2002 and graduated with honors as a scholarship-student from California.

Now of course you have to come here focused because there are tons of distractions in the Atlanta University Center [url=http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2971]New Georgia Encyclopedia: Atlanta University Center[/url] since it's located smack dab in the middle of Atlanta but like most places of higher education if you focus and hunker down and remember what your purpose for being here and you will succeed. Alot of time students would lose focus on why they were there because most students who attend school there are not from GA and it was their first time away from home. Also most of the students come from middle-to upper class backrounds and majority white high-school/junior high education so for the first time these students are learning around a predominately Black academic-society were everybody is trying to do well and everyone around you is striving for perfection & it's ok to just be yourself without trying to "act white" or "act uppity", you can finally be yourself.

But you wouldn't know this from popular Hip-Hop culture. This is the Black culture that educated/respectable Blacks have always cherished, not the 5 o'clock news variety and music videos that most people around the world get to see. But I digress...

Let me state that being among your own in a such a great academic environment is very humbling & works out well for the over 10,000 students & faculty at Spelman, Morehouse, Clark Atlanta University & ITC. It's the largest consortium of HBCU's in the world, all of the top tier companies & grad & law schools recruit students from those campuses.

However It doesn't come at a cheap price tag since they are private institutions but the academic, social and networking experience I had prepared me well for the life connections that you need in this world.

Also I was accepted to The University of Southern California on a full-academic scholarship for graduate school after my undergraduate career. Many students go on to the top grad/med/law school programs in the world or enter corporate America or the work force. The atmosphere and camaraderie among the students is excellent and the AUC draws students from all 50 states and all over the world. Of course I could've stayed in California and attended a number of Universities on a full-ride but they couldn't offer the overall experience that the AUC offers.

Send me a Private Message and I can talk to you personally about my experience and refer you to a few admissions counselors who can talk to you.

[url=http://www.cau.edu/]Clark Atlanta University[/url]
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clark_Atlanta_University]Clark Atlanta University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_University_Center]Atlanta University Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/url]

Old 05-11-2011, 03:23 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,276,306 times
Google college confidential and utilize the expertise of the parents at the parents forum and financial aid forums there.

Does she have other, more affordable options?

Old 05-11-2011, 05:40 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,474,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Gunner20, Atlanta is a great town and a very large city, but I think the way your girlfriend thinks is why several people are disappointed when they get to ATL. Sounds like she has unrealistic expectations.

Lets analyze. Baltimore is actually a more densely populated and more urban atmosphere than Atlanta, so how could someone from Baltimore expect to come to Atlanta and be "blown away" and "dazzled" at the big city life of ATL when it's actually less urban than Bmore? ATL is great, but it's not some densely populated city like the ones up in the Northeast or Chicago, LA, San Fran.

She'll be just fine and probably wont experience any more "wildness" than she did in B-More, and find ATL to be more laid back than back at the house, so she'll be just fine.

People come to Atlanta expecting everything to look and be like some BET video and thats just not the case.

Sorry density doesnt cut it Baltimore is just as dry as the desert in las Vegas most of them go to DC for shopping and partying. There are alot of them here in Atlanta too, and talk about southern those people are really country, at least the african americans are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or