U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:28 AM

313 posts, read 1,036,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justforyoualwayz View Post
I was watching the Food Network and they had on different hot dog places around the country, you know like Pink's in LA. I can't help it; it sounds really good.
Ok I couldnt resist...I am from GA...born and raised in Albany where we have the famous Jimmy's hotdogs and they are good...one can easily eat 2-3 and maybe more. I know Macon has a hotdog place too that has been featured on the food network, sorry cant remember the name.

I live inthe greater LA area now...and me and my family went to this famous Pinks and yes...we waited in a line for almost an hour to get their famous chili dog...and what a sham! I couldve made a better dog in my own kitchen. I mean, what the heck?? There was nothing special about it...like I said one could easily duplicate this at home with canned hormel chili.

Now..Jimmy's is special...think hotdog bun (like newengland style..cut on top of the bun as opposed to a normal buy-at-the-grocerystore hotdog bun where the cut in the bun is sideways). The dogs are of the cheap variety...probably boiled first...placed in the bun, which is toasted, with mustard, onions and their hotdog chili(which is more like a sauce) all packed in...and then it is steamed (I think) so all the flavors just mesh perfectly. It is just good. It doesnt hold a candle to the Pinks. I would never go back to Pinks...I just cant understand why people would wait in line for a nothing-special-to-it dog. But then again I dont understand alot things these Californians do or think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 10:51 AM

8 posts, read 38,701 times
The one in Macon is Nu-Way Weiners.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:08 PM

13,394 posts, read 51,365,162 times
Don't know about the southside-

Mike's Hot Dogs (Chicago 'Dogs)- Sandy Springs & North Springs
and there's a place in Downtown Canton on Main St. (Chicago 'Dogs)
Man, I love a Chicago 'Dog!

And if you're ever in Chicago (somebody help me- I forgot the name) there's a chain that has Chicago 'Dogs and tamales. Oh, are they good!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:04 PM

642 posts, read 2,007,473 times
Sure there's no such thing as an Italian hot dog place down here right? Talk about things to miss from back home.

Old 04-17-2008, 12:28 PM

10,893 posts, read 10,062,198 times
Runnergrl - But as you well know, NEVER leave a Jimmy's hotdog wrapper in your car! We used to actually hide them in someone's vehicle to pay a prank on them! Time to fumigate!!!

They are actually the best hotdog I ever tasted. Downtown, across the street from the bus station. You see everyone in there - no class distinction here - from the wino, to the house wife, to the lawyers and judges!

Old 04-17-2008, 02:04 PM

539 posts, read 1,914,907 times
Do they sell reds (or "red hots") here in the south?

Last edited by cool_mommy; 04-17-2008 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 04-17-2008, 03:28 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,206,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_mommy View Post
Do they sell reds (or "red hots") here in the south?
I think I have seen them in convenience stores in North GA.

This is a type of sausage?

Old 04-17-2008, 03:34 PM

539 posts, read 1,914,907 times
No, its actually a hot dog in a red casing. They are very popular in Maine and can be found in most of New England but I haven't seen any here. I was just wondering, my husband loves them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or