Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 04:51 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
85 on the Southside is 3 lanes until I-185.
No it's not. I drive that route every day.

It's 4 lanes from the airport to Exit 41 in Newnan where it narrows to 3 lanes, then it narrows further to 2 lanes once you cross over into Meriwether County all the way to Alabama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 05:22 PM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post

It's 4 lanes from the airport to Exit 41 in Newnan where it narrows to 3 lanes, then it narrows further to 2 lanes once you cross over into Meriwether County all the way to Alabama.
Yeah but in the grand scheme in comparison to most of Georgia's roads (and most of the country for that matter) I find I-85 South to be fairly aquadate for traffic capacity.

For a harsh rural interstate, see I-12 between I-10 just outside of Mississippi all the way to Baton Rouge, and again on I-10 between Baton Rouge and Lake Charles. That road is the devil.

I dont think there is a need for I-85 to be 3 lanes going toward Montgomery. It narrows into 2 lanes WELL after leaving the Atlanta Metro.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:54 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I dunno about Dallas. Just above everyone and their son in Texas owns a gun sooooooooo.
Yeah I’m well aware that Texans have guns like that too, but Dallas has a lower crime rate than Atlanta with a larger population. Just off that I’d say it’s probably more stupid road rage madness here, and again I looked it up. Not gonna act like random news clippings is an actual scientific study at all, but you do notice the lack of crazy stories in the news there. Didn’t see too many stories in Dallas, saw more than a couple here in just the last year. Maybe Dallas news doesn’t report it, but I doubt it. I’m not an expert on Texas at all, only been to Houston to hang out and I’ve driven thru the panhandle a few times as well, never been to Dallas. And Houston didn’t seem as bad as Atlanta and everyone says crime in Houston is worse than Atlanta. For whatever that’s worth

Old 03-17-2019, 07:00 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:

You said it was 2 lanes state line to state line but ok .

Old 03-17-2019, 07:46 PM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
I think another factor that contributes to the aggressiveness in Atlanta/Georgia is the just plain inadequate road infrastructure.

Most of the interstate highways and interchanges in GA outside the big cities were only built to handle rural traffic volumes. Yet, despite the explosive industrial and residential growth that has occurred, to this day both I-85 and I-20 are still 2-lane highways from state line to state line. It's now typical for these highways to be bumper to bumper with traffic between all of the pass-through tourists and big rig trucks going to/from all of the distribution centers.

Even in Metro Atlanta proper, leaders have only been reactive in adding road capacity. Of the few arterial roads that are in place, the vast majority of them again were only built to handle low density residential and non commercial/industrial traffic volumes.
Quote:

Also adding to this. While I agree Atlanta metro should have addressed its road infrastructural issues earlier on, MOST of the development in Georgia in general has been concentrated into North Georgia or primarily the Atlanta metro. With that stated, road capacity outside of the metro with the exception of traveling to Florida (due to I-75 being one of the major roads to go there from a large part of the nation...) is generally not necessarily needed. Also. Most rural Interstate Highways across the country ARE only 2 lanes each direction with 3 or more laned sections primarily located through rural towns and / or hilly areas to allow for more efficient passing. If you go to California, its the same way on I-15 between Vegas and the suburbs of Los Angeles.

Even here in Texas only recently was I-35 between DFW and Austin upgraded to 3 lanes each way...and by that I mean they literally JUST finished it a few months ago at best.

I-75 between Tennessee and Florida never drops below 3 lanes and is one of the longest 3+ laned freeways that I know of.

Old 03-17-2019, 07:59 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
I'm not sure that Atlanta drivers are more aggressive, I think they are just trying to survive ! That is the worst city I've ever driven in.

Old 03-17-2019, 08:12 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:

It narrows at exit 47. And it's done pretty badly for southbound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
I'm not sure that Atlanta drivers are more aggressive, I think they are just trying to survive ! That is the worst city I've ever driven in.
Oh, honey! You need to drive in more cities. It's not even close.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
It narrows at exit 47. And it's done pretty badly for southbound.
Yep, I agree with that. I assume it was recession-related, as GDOT never did actually finish it (signage is still hit or miss, lane pavement is warped, etc.)

Old 03-18-2019, 06:18 AM

Quote:

No, you just misunderstood my post (and evidently was the only one to do so).

Old 03-18-2019, 06:24 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times
Miami-FT Lauderdale should be on that list. Crazy doesn’t even come close to the insanity I’ve seen on the highways. I really can’t understand why people hang on your bumper. Switching lanes just to be ahead of you is another one. We both end up at the redlight at the same time anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta