Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:28 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,705,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Also adding to this. While I agree Atlanta metro should have addressed its road infrastructural issues earlier on, MOST of the development in Georgia in general has been concentrated into North Georgia or primarily the Atlanta metro. With that stated, road capacity outside of the metro with the exception of traveling to Florida (due to I-75 being one of the major roads to go there from a large part of the nation...) is generally not necessarily needed. Also. Most rural Interstate Highways across the country ARE only 2 lanes each direction with 3 or more laned sections primarily located through rural towns and / or hilly areas to allow for more efficient passing. If you go to California, its the same way on I-15 between Vegas and the suburbs of Los Angeles.

Even here in Texas only recently was I-35 between DFW and Austin upgraded to 3 lanes each way...and by that I mean they literally JUST finished it a few months ago at best.

I-75 between Tennessee and Florida never drops below 3 lanes and is one of the longest 3+ laned freeways that I know of.
I-75 is at least 3 lanes through most of Kentucky, and I'm pretty certain through most of Michigan. Even Ohio is working on widening the vast majority of I-75 there to 3 lanes.

Not all rural highways in every state need widening, but given that Georgia is a pass-through state for tourists and a major logistics hub, I see no reason why there hasn't been more improvements to the highways in the state outside of Metro Atlanta.

Anyone who drives these routes regularly will realize how dangerous they get with the narrow lanes in the bumper-to-bumper traffic they see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 08:19 AM
bu2

24,095 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Since leaving Houston for DFW, I realized that Houston drivers aren't that bad. They are aggressive and very fast, but they seem to know what they're doing. DFW drivers can not drive. I am constantly dealing with people sitting in the left two lanes going below the speed limit. People cutting me off cause they likely didn't even see me. People turning out in front of me, etc. My car insurance jumped up when I moved and now I know why. Didn't take long, one month and I got rear ended. Just today I had 3 close calls. I can't remember having so many close calls in Houston or Atlanta for that matter.

Also seems to be a greater spread in car speeds. In Houston it seemed like most people were doing from around 65 on the low end but in the right lanes to near 75 in the left lanes with the 80+ sticking to the left lane. Here I have people doing 55-60 in any lane with most doing right at 70. Then randomly there will be people doing 80+ weaving in and out. At least in Houston people seem to better observe left lane=fast lane.
My experience as well. And they don't know how to use entrance ramps, driving 20 until they are on the freeway.

The really odd one on that list was Austin. They really don't know how to drive there and generally are not aggressive, just slow.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:25 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
With no NYC, DC, or Philly on this list it is instantly trash in my book. I don't disagree though that Atlantan's aren't passive drivers. I'm not saying we're ultra agressive, but you need to drive offensively with speed in this town.

I used to think we weren't that bad, but then I spent a lot time travelling to midtwestern cities last year. You guys don't understand how many times I wanted to run people off the road. They just lack any sense of urgency.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:26 AM
bu2

24,095 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Yeah I’m well aware that Texans have guns like that too, but Dallas has a lower crime rate than Atlanta with a larger population. Just off that I’d say it’s probably more stupid road rage madness here, and again I looked it up. Not gonna act like random news clippings is an actual scientific study at all, but you do notice the lack of crazy stories in the news there. Didn’t see too many stories in Dallas, saw more than a couple here in just the last year. Maybe Dallas news doesn’t report it, but I doubt it. I’m not an expert on Texas at all, only been to Houston to hang out and I’ve driven thru the panhandle a few times as well, never been to Dallas. And Houston didn’t seem as bad as Atlanta and everyone says crime in Houston is worse than Atlanta. For whatever that’s worth
Houston's crime isn't nearly as bad as Atlanta. But I did seem to hear about more road rage incidents there.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:01 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,986,744 times
West Coast drivers are docile. It's annoying. Northeast is where the aggressive people are, in the south they drive extremely fast but are mostly disengaged/passive. Midwest drivers go the speed limit. Each part of the country has its own reasons for being annoying or stressful.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:17 AM

11,798 posts, read 8,008,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
My experience as well. And they don't know how to use entrance ramps, driving 20 until they are on the freeway.

The really odd one on that list was Austin. They really don't know how to drive there and generally are not aggressive, just slow.
The Austinites think the same:
//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ggressive.html

I actually came to find this survey was compiled by the gasbuddy app running statistics on users phones, which is hardly a accurate measurement as it completely dis-includes anyone not using the app and is based on frequent acceleration and braking based on a phones GPS rather than an elaborate study of driving patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
I-75 is at least 3 lanes through most of Kentucky, and I'm pretty certain through most of Michigan. Even Ohio is working on widening the vast majority of I-75 there to 3 lanes.

Not all rural highways in every state need widening, but given that Georgia is a pass-through state for tourists and a major logistics hub, I see no reason why there hasn't been more improvements to the highways in the state outside of Metro Atlanta.

Anyone who drives these routes regularly will realize how dangerous they get with the narrow lanes in the bumper-to-bumper traffic they see.
Yes but my point is even with that included, 3+ laned interstates in rural areas is not the norm. Most of them country wide are 2 lane each way.

The interstates in Georgia that connect tourist areas are 3 lanes each way. I-75 and I-95 that go to Florida are both 3 lanes each way through Georgia.

The interstates in Georgia that need additional capacity are for logistical reasons, not tourist reasons. Such as I-85 between Gwinnett and SC which is something they finally put into work. I dont think I-85 south to Alabama needs anymore capacity currently. Theres hardly any development after passing Union City and traffic down that way flows quite well.

I-20 between Alabama and Atlanta btw is also currently undergoing upgrades to make it 3 lanes each way. I-20 East to Columbia SC is fine the way it is currently and usually only gets crowded during spring when people are going to Charleston or Myrtle Beach.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 03-18-2019 at 09:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta