Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 07:28 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,380,481 times

Advertisements

Drivers who park, stop or drive in a bike lane will now be slapped with a $100 fine.

Atlanta City Council unanimously approved the new law at Monday afternoon’s meeting. Those driving tractor-trailers will get a $1,000 fine for violating bike lane laws..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/news/local/new-a...Kj7Fk4WrgiDSP/

SOURCE: AJC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Good. They should also get the same fine for parking in a regular traffic lane.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
I’d love to see it actually get enforced. In downtown it happens constantly.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:00 AM

561 posts, read 781,142 times
It would be even better if the cops enforced the rule on themselves. I see them blocking the bike lanes too.

Old 03-19-2019, 04:02 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
The private delivery, trucking, & transportation community has been pretty silent on this issue.

FedEx, UPS, USPS, SYSCO, Staples, Knight Trucking, and a whole load of other delivery and transportation communities have blocked the biking lanes at one point or another.

They also have gotten tickets as well from what I seen.

I often wondered if the driver gets a ticket or if the ticket goes to the company. Because oftentimes the areas receiving the goods do not have a loading dock or designated delivery drop-off point.

I wonder what do the drivers do if they are held responsible for the ticket.

I know that if I was a driver, I sure as heck WILL NOT pay for a ticket for doing what is essentially a needed duty.

Not for some piece-of-crap jerkoff corporation, anyways.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:43 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
Well can we get some kinda fine for the folks on bikes that just ride in the middle of the lane and back traffic up for a mile because there's oncoming traffic and you cant pass them?

Old 03-19-2019, 07:24 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Well can we get some kinda fine for the folks on bikes that just ride in the middle of the lane and back traffic up for a mile because there's oncoming traffic and you cant pass them?
Nope, because they're following the law. If you're that against it though, support the creation of bike lanes, separated paths, and sensible infrastructure. Send some tax money in that direction. Until that time comes, bikes belong in the middle of the lane.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:38 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
The private delivery, trucking, & transportation community has been pretty silent on this issue.

FedEx, UPS, USPS, SYSCO, Staples, Knight Trucking, and a whole load of other delivery and transportation communities have blocked the biking lanes at one point or another.

I often wondered if the driver gets a ticket or if the ticket goes to the company. Because oftentimes the areas receiving the goods do not have a loading dock or designated delivery drop-off point.

I know that if I was a driver, I sure as heck WILL NOT pay for a ticket for doing what is essentially a needed duty.

For any commercial driver, regardless of the infraction whether it be directly related to the truck driver or complete negligence of the company, the driver ALWAYS gets the ticket.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:03 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Key word, if the cyclists does not feel safe riding to the right side and having vehicles pass them closer than the law 3' law, then they "take the lane" forcing passing vehicles to use the other lanes.
Quote:
40-6-294.
(a) Every person operating a bicycle upon a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, except when turning left or avoiding hazards to safe cycling, when the lane is too narrow to share safely with a motor vehicle, when traveling at the same speed as traffic, or while exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction; provided, however, that every person operating a bicycle away from the right side of the roadway shall exercise reasonable care and shall give due consideration to the other applicable rules of the road.
(c) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on bicycle paths, bicycle lanes, or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles, or when a special event permit issued by a local governing authority permits riding more than two abreast.
(e) Electric assisted bicycles as defined in Code Section 40-1-1 may be operated on bicycle paths.
https://www.gahighwaysafety.org/camp...and-bicycling/

Old 03-20-2019, 08:36 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

I think the big guys (UPS/FedEx) write it off as a cost of doing business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: