Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 01:56 AM

81 posts, read 100,440 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 (soon to be 29) year old currently living in Raleigh, NC and will be relocating to the Atlanta area, specifically Decatur, to start an MDiv Program at Columbia Theological Seminary. I'll also likely be working 25/hrs a week through an Anglican Church Fellowship. I am curious about where to meet younger, intellectual-engaged, and religious/spiritually-inclined people. I'm not a type who likes to party and have mild Asperger's syndrome, so bars or loud/crazy events (though I do enjoy live music) aren't going to be my thing. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 09:42 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Well since you're religious, I'd definitely look for any Anglican (or any denomination that you consider similar to) churches in the Metro area and join their young adults group. Usually they have events outside of church i.e., members' homes, where they mingle. I'd also recommend meetup.com and event brite. I'm going to warn you though that Millennials tend to be mildly religious, atheist, agnostic, spiritual. The trend especially for this group is towards atheism/agnosticism and so be careful of your expectations.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:58 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Well since you're religious, I'd definitely look for any Anglican (or any denomination that you consider similar to) churches in the Metro area and join their young adults group. Usually they have events outside of church i.e., members' homes, where they mingle. I'd also recommend meetup.com and event brite. I'm going to warn you though that Millennials tend to be mildly religious, atheist, agnostic, spiritual. The trend especially for this group is towards atheism/agnosticism and so be careful of your expectations.
In a city like Atlanta (or any large metropolitan area) there are going to be plenty of people of the same age and religious beliefs than any one person could possibly meet and get to know. Larger trends do not need to dissuade anyone. If only 1% of millenials held to any religious convictions in a city like Atlanta, that's still more than a person could ever get to know. And the percentage is nowhere near that low.

I would suggest attending some of the singles events at some of the larger churches that have a big singles draw. Buckhead Church, Passion City Church come to mind. Might be more evangelically minded than your Anglican/Presbyterian mold but not suggesting joining, just attending some singles events.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:00 PM

30 posts, read 54,292 times
Check out Atlanta Becoming:

https://www.facebook.com/atlantabecoming/

Old 03-27-2019, 01:21 PM

197 posts, read 204,939 times
Since you’re religious enough to actually study religion for a living, i would recommend living OTP to meet likeminded people. Decatur is VERY liberal by Georgia standards and i can imagine that most young people there aren’t religious.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
In a city like Atlanta (or any large metropolitan area) there are going to be plenty of people of the same age and religious beliefs than any one person could possibly meet and get to know. Larger trends do not need to dissuade anyone. If only 1% of millenials held to any religious convictions in a city like Atlanta, that's still more than a person could ever get to know. And the percentage is nowhere near that low.

I would suggest attending some of the singles events at some of the larger churches that have a big singles draw. Buckhead Church, Passion City Church come to mind. Might be more evangelically minded than your Anglican/Presbyterian mold but not suggesting joining, just attending some singles events.

I'm not saying the person won't find anyone who is religious but just saying that they may not be as religious as he desires. There are those who identify as christian but don't identify themselves as religious. Some say they are religious and don't even go to church. Even older generations are noticing the difference...

Old 03-27-2019, 02:26 PM

81 posts, read 100,440 times
Well, I am both very religious and very liberal. I think there is a misconception here that Religious necessarily means Conservative in a political sense. The seminary I am attending is located in Decatur, and I will be living on-campus as a matter of convenience so I really have no choice in that regard. But I think I am probably about as left as the predominant Decatur community, and my sense is that there are many left/progressive oriented Mainline Protestant Churches in that area too.

Old 03-28-2019, 12:01 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oihamad View Post
Well, I am both very religious and very liberal. I think there is a misconception here that Religious necessarily means Conservative in a political sense. The seminary I am attending is located in Decatur, and I will be living on-campus as a matter of convenience so I really have no choice in that regard. But I think I am probably about as left as the predominant Decatur community, and my sense is that there are many left/progressive oriented Mainline Protestant Churches in that area too.
You will find plenty of liberal minded religiously active people ITP. Yes, they will be more numerous and more conservative in the burbs, but there are plenty to be found locally. I would think once you get ensconced at Columbia, you will meet others that will direct you to singles groups that will fit the profile of what you are seeking. You will find a general mindset on this site that paints Christians as a monolithic type that lives in only one corner of the world.

Old 03-28-2019, 06:15 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
You will find plenty of liberal minded religiously active people ITP. Yes, they will be more numerous and more conservative in the burbs, but there are plenty to be found locally. I would think once you get ensconced at Columbia, you will meet others that will direct you to singles groups that will fit the profile of what you are seeking. You will find a general mindset on this site that paints Christians as a monolithic type that lives in only one corner of the world.
No question about that. The city of Atlanta and close by areas like Decatur have many VERY active and large churches.

I also know plenty of people who are religious and very liberal on social and political matters. Intown churches have been in the forefront of progressive social change since Day One. Who led the charge on issues like civil rights for blacks and GLBT folks and the poor and the homeless?

The churches, that's who.

Old 03-28-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
No question about that. The city of Atlanta and close by areas like Decatur have many VERY active and large churches.

I also know plenty of people who are religious and very liberal on social and political matters. Intown churches have been in the forefront of progressive social change since Day One. Who led the charge on issues like civil rights for blacks and GLBT folks and the poor and the homeless?

The churches, that's who.

Actually churches are given much more credit than they deserve for their role in the Civil Rights Movement.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/black...ment_n_3810530

Led the charge on issues for LGBT folk? Where are you getting this from? I think the media may have played a bigger part in normalizing/creating visibility for people who are LGBTQ+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta