Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 09:17 AM

1,153 posts, read 626,487 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about the Atlanta area, not necessarily just the city itself.

Are transplants from the Northeast(NY, NJ, PA, DC, etc.) or the Deep South outside Georgia(South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and possibly North Florida and East Texas) more common?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 09:23 AM

492 posts, read 530,425 times
Here in Alpharetta honestly most of my neighbors are from the east coast or from out of the country. My neighbor to the right is from Brooklyn, to the left is a family from Massachusetts. In our lane, a couple of a families are from India, one from Korea, one from China and one from LA..

Old 04-02-2019, 09:25 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,648,366 times
The largest inbound migration flows come from NYC, Chicago, Detroit and Miami.

Native southerners, from what I've observed, are more likely to settle in the smaller sleepy towns (Birmingham, Memphis, Chattanooga, Columbus, Macon, Montgomery, Augusta, Savannah, etc.) or on the rural outskirts of Atlanta.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:26 AM

1,145 posts, read 4,198,941 times
Just my personal experience as I’m from Boston and have been here since 2004 (lived ITP for 13 yrs, OTP for 2). I would say there’s definitely more deep south transplants than northeast transplants. It makes sense as graduates from nearby SEC schools like Alabama, Florida, Ole Miss etc end up in the largest southeast city to pursue careers.

The fellow northern transplants I meet are typically older (moving for cost of living or job transfer).

Old 04-02-2019, 09:34 AM

492 posts, read 530,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Just my personal experience as I’m from Boston and have been here since 2004 (lived ITP for 13 yrs, OTP for 2). I would say there’s definitely more deep south transplants than northeast transplants. It makes sense as graduates from nearby SEC schools like Alabama, Florida, Ole Miss etc end up in the largest southeast city to pursue careers.

The fellow northern transplants I meet are typically older (moving for cost of living or job transfer).
I agree the ITP younger crowd definitely trends southern. Once you move to the suburbs you meet a lot of northern transplant familes that move here for various reasons like COL, weather or jobs..

Old 04-02-2019, 10:12 AM

10,355 posts, read 11,383,408 times
Default Which group of transplants are more common in Atlanta: Northeasterners or Deep Southerners(outside Georgia)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarHero45 View Post
I'm talking about the Atlanta area, not necessarily just the city itself.

Are transplants from the Northeast(NY, NJ, PA, DC, etc.) or the Deep South outside Georgia(South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and possibly North Florida and East Texas) more common?
In addition to transplants from other parts of Georgia outside of metro Atlanta, transplants from both the Northeast (from Massachusetts to Northern Virginia (ESPECIALLY New York and New Jersey)) and the Deep South areas you named (AL, MS, LA, North FL and East TX) are very common in the Atlanta metropolitan area.

Transplants from the Midwest (Indiana, Ohio, Western Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Illinois and (ESPECIALLY) Michigan), the Upper South (Tennessee, Kentucky, Arkansas, Missouri) and Lower Mid-Atlantic/Upper South Atlantic areas like North Carolina, and Virginia/West Virginia outside the D.C. area are also very common in the Atlanta metropolitan area.

There are also a very noticeable amount of transplants from the West Coast (particularly Southern California and even a few from the Bay Area) living in the Atlanta metropolitan area.

Atlanta is a real melting pot and a major hub for transplants from other parts of the South and the nation at-large.

Atlanta circa-2019 is basically a large major city/metro of transplants and immigrants.

Old 04-02-2019, 12:24 PM

37,822 posts, read 41,644,167 times
Southerners, and I'm including all Southerners, not just those from the quasi-amorphous Deep South. But there are as many Northern (Northeasterners and Midwesterners) transplants as there are Southern transplants in the Atlanta region.

Old 04-02-2019, 05:26 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,585,928 times
Based upon my interactions,

Atlanta Natives & midwestern people are the two most numerous groups. Ohio probably makes up 10% of the Atlanta general population.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:15 PM

82 posts, read 81,494 times
I've seen as many New Jersey plates here as I've seen in the DMV

I mean that as literal as possible

Old 04-02-2019, 07:23 PM

10,310 posts, read 8,485,208 times
I’m here in Marietta and have met several people from the northeast. Several from Philadelphia. Not too many from the west coast except me and a person I met from Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta