Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:53 PM

12 posts, read 40,246 times

Advertisements

Ok, I will be in Atlanta in 10 days and need to look for a rental house or apartment in an area with good public schools, quiet and safe neighborhood, is this possible?

I keep reading about the terrible traffic, crime, etc,I would love to ride MARTA into town, even if it means taking a BUS to Marietta Street, we are not very picky we just want a nice area for our kids, and I would hate to spend 3 hours a day just commuting and not spending time with them.

ok let me organize my questions:

1- Is there a good safe neighborhood without bumping bass sounds at night with good schools and near a MARTA station?

2- is it possible to ride the bus to Marietta St.? Since MARTA does not have a station there?

thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 07:31 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Decatur (E6)

Candler Park (E4)

Old 04-08-2008, 07:43 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,805 times
Five Points station (all trains stop there) is located a block from Marietta St and the CNN Center station (East-West line) is also near Marietta St. Marietta St is fairly long starting downtown and going all the way out to Georgia Tech. Knowing where on Marietta St you need to go would make it easier to determine if MARTA would work for you.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:18 PM

168 posts, read 561,057 times
MARTA Bus Route 1 Map (http://www.itsmarta.com/getthere/buspages/1.html - broken link)

The number 1 bus (easy enough to remember, eh?) takes you from 5 points station along Marietta Street. Live anywhere near a station (or a park and ride) and you're golden. Brookhaven maybe? Post your max rent.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by este.eri View Post
1- Is there a good safe neighborhood without bumping bass sounds at night with good schools and near a MARTA station?
The other posts cover the MARTA bit, but hey, this is ATLANTA.. "bumping bass sounds" can be heard for many miles through the air like the songs of the humpback whale (only much more obnoxious). I live 25 miles West of the city in the boonie burbs and on average about once every 20 minutes or so my windows rattle with the "whoop whoop whoop" of one. Parts of Brookhaven as someone suggested above though MIGHT offer some relief (if you can afford it).

Old 04-09-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
MARTA Bus Route 1 Map (http://www.itsmarta.com/getthere/buspages/1.html - broken link)

The number 1 bus (easy enough to remember, eh?) takes you from 5 points station along Marietta Street. Live anywhere near a station (or a park and ride) and you're golden. Brookhaven maybe? Post your max rent.
Not anymore. I take that bus every day. It goes down Marietta St from Five Points until Spring St and then loops around past the aquarium before getting back to Marietta St at Jones Ave.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:38 AM

12 posts, read 40,246 times
Default wait!...I will be working near GA tech...on Marietta St

so what bus should I take from 5 points? also is Decatur nice?...

Candler Park or Decatur....but I have read that the east side of the city is full of crime...no?.....also that the schools suck...no?...as far as the bumping bass sounds at night...when I was growing up I used to live in North Philadelphia....sirens...gunshots...and non stop bumbing bass, sometimes screams was very normal for me ... not anymore. I just want to get a good sleep and have my kids go to a good elementary school.

I will rent, max budget $1100 more or less, two bedroom apt/house is fine, what do you think?...

Last edited by este.eri; 04-10-2008 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-10-2008, 09:04 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
so what bus should I take from 5 points? also is Decatur nice?...

Candler Park or Decatur....but I have read that the east side of the city is full of crime...no?.....also that the schools suck...no?...as far as the bumping bass sounds at night...when I was growing up I used to live in North Philadelphia....sirens...gunshots...and non stop bumbing bass, sometimes screams was very normal for me ... not anymore. I just want to get a good sleep and have my kids go to a good elementary school.

I will rent, max budget $1100 more or less, two bedroom apt/house is fine, what do you think?...
The southeast side can be problematic (there are exceptions ie Grant Park), but the northeast side is generally OK. You won't find a bad elementary school within the city of Decatur (it has its own school system), and I believe Candler Park is served by Mary Lin Elementary...there's been a lot of positive feedback from Mary Lin parents on this forum.
I think your rent budget is workable in those neighborhoods, especially now that homeowners are having to resort to renting out properties that aren't moving in the slow market.
Here's a good resource for finding rentals in those areas.

Creative Loafing Atlanta | Home/

Old 04-10-2008, 09:12 AM

340 posts, read 1,576,945 times
URL link to rental property in the area: atlanta apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 04-10-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
so what bus should I take from 5 points?
Again, it depends on where you need to go. Giving us an address or cross street of where you need to end up would be helpful. From Five Points most of downtown along Marietta St is faster walking than waiting for a bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: