U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 02:19 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,447,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
So another question comes to mind. Really how is the weather? How long are the winters? What is the period of time when the weather is blazing hot? How is the drought situation? Don't get me wrong I love GA but just have to ask & I'd rather be in the heat than the cold.
The weather isn't southern CA (does it get any better than San Diego?), but it's lovely here IMO...there are definitely four seasons here, but the winters are mild, the spring and fall are wonderful, and the summers, while hot, are nothing compared to below the "gnat line" (the coastal plain; south LA, MS, AL, GA and FL).
The drought situation is much improved, which is not to say our problems have completely disappeared...the lack of political will around this crisis is astonishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 02:22 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,432,840 times
Atlanta really is not that cold in my opinion. However, you will probably need a winter coat. I can play tennis almost all year long. Here is a link for averages for weather in Atlanta: Average Weather for Atlanta, GA - Temperature and Precipitation

Yes we have a drought. Some of the restrictions are easing up. I think that everyone in the US should treat water as a scarce resource. It's not like we are restricted in how much water we can consume (drinking). Yes I am changing my planting habits for the beds in my yard. Yes my car is very yellow from the pollen. Yes I purchased a front loading washing machine a few years ago along with other energy saving appliances. If Las Vegas can support tourism and residents - then Atlanta should be fine. We all must watch the consumption of our precious natural resources.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:52 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,230,457 times
I'm going to throw a wrench into this by asking you what it is you love about where you live? I don't want to deter you from moving here but coming from the Bay area where you're near the ocean and so many incredible cultural offerings, I just want to make sure you really do get the full picture. The bottom line is that you can find all of these things you're looking for here (minus the water) but you have to look REALLY hard. And it's soooo easy to get lazy (oh, we'll just do Chick-fil-a drive thru again tonight...Saturday museum? Nah, Costco is closer!) Living intown is one option but so much depends on what you love about where you are and the type of community you're looking for. Alpharetta is a beautiful suburb but once you're there, well, that's it. Alpharetta you'll get a big beautiful house on a golf course. Diversity in comparison to San Fran only exists intown. And soccer you can find anywhere. Driving is brutal and IMO, there's no alternative. But other than that, yeah, it's cheaper. I just don't know anymore if that's enough of a draw.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:52 PM

3,349 posts, read 7,042,149 times
Sweettea1, thanks for the info. I grew up in LA and went to school in the Northern part of CA. There isn't too much that I love about the Bay Area, I'm pretty frustrated with the expense. The traffic here is pretty bad it could take me 2 hours or longer to get to work in San Francisco and I live 30 minutes away. So I have grown accustom to either telecommuting, carpooling, and or using public transportation. But what I like about the Bay Area is that there are many different places to dine and if I wanted to I could be in Napa in 45 minutes. People are very understanding to some degree about people that have children, so they aren't looking at me funny when I have to leave early because my child might be sick. I love to telecommute and occasionally bring my children to work. The weather is drastically different than So. CA. It could get rather cold here. The schools are very expensive and horrible. You hardly see people with children and if you do they have one child. My husband loves this place since he moved here over 30 years ago (I've lived her for almost 15 years). Frankly I am tired of all the drug addicted people, prostitutes, and crap you see and can almost step in if you aren't careful on the streets when you go to San Francisco. In LA I love the space between the homes, the old world design, places to dine, the overall class people have. A lot of the people here are just a little rough looking here, there really isn't a dress code for going to work (casual is in here, to some degree I like it too but I can't stand people who don't find it necessary to do the basics like comb their hair, not ware flip flops to work, or have tons of tattoos and died hair (nothing against folks that are into that type of thing) and or wear close to nothing and come to work.

Some of the beaches here are really nice but are too cold to get into all year-round. In LA there isn't a problem to go into the water but how often do folks get to go to the beach, not that often we just know that it is there. So I guess when I move to ATL if I get the beach itch I could always go to Savannah, Florida, or the Carribean since it is so close. But I also love seeing the mountains here too. I think what I will really enjoy about GA is if I'm bored going to NY, DC, or the Carribean isn't too far (in CA you could drive 8 hours in the car and still be in CA.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:34 PM

401 posts, read 1,594,353 times
I'm with George and Lovin' - sounds like Decatur (within the city limits - 30030) is a good alternative for you. Decatur is an urban small town - close to downtown ATL. It is diverse (and pretty left leaning). We have folks of all races, nationalities and sexual orientations living together. We even have a Republican or two here (my dh included) that get along with everyone just fine. My kids have friends of different races, nationalities, etc. and it's no big deal.

The schools here are very good - lots of art, music, foreign language.. .very progressive, hands on pedagogy - lots of kids too. The elementaries are Clairemont, Winnona Park, Oakhurst and Glennwood Academy. Renfroe is the middle school and then there is Decatur High.

Re sports, Decatur has its own soccer leagues that are less competitive and there is also AYSA (Atlanta Youth Soccer Ass'n) and the YMCA that are a little more competitive and have practices/games nearby. Decatur's lacrosse league actually is pretty competitive - they love lacrosse around here.

Houses in Decatur are a little smaller than the typical suburban ATL house but if you are from CA that shouldn't be an adjustment. You can very easily rent for $2000 per month. A purchase of a house (I'm assuming you want 3 or 4 BR) would run from about $400,000 to about $550,000. Top of the line new construction would be more.

Decatur is the county seat for DeKalb Co. so we have a pretty bustling central square with a lot of restaurants (not chains) and boutiques, a metro station and lots of people walking around. There are a lot of town festivals, wine tastings... etc so you might have some good opportunities to showcase your culinary talents!

I won't say that there is no crime in Decatur, but it's certainly one of the safest places in ATL. They have their own police force which is very on top of things so the criminals do not consider this a good place to "do business." I have no qualms about walking around at night and have never had an incident in nearly a decade here. We get the occasional nuisance crime - stolen bike or yard tools - particularly if you leave them out all night - but not much more than that. I haven't stepped on a single prostitute or druggie since I've been here.

You also sound like you might like Candler Park or Lake Claire. These are in Atlanta proper and are adjacent to Decatur. They are very progressive and also have a ton of kids and excellent schools. They also have some cool commercial nodes with hip restaurants and shops. Zip there is 30307. The schools are Mary Lin Elementary, Inman Middle and Grady High.

Closest Beach - Tybee Island - 4 hours
Closest mountain town - Asheville, NC - 3.5 hours - but the N. GA mountains are about 2 hrs away.

Last edited by cmtiger; 04-11-2008 at 05:42 PM..

Old 04-11-2008, 05:47 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,447,029 times
Good call, cmtiger...
I'll go out on a limb and give my opinion on the neighborhoods in Atlanta that have the closest thing to a northern CA "vibe":

Decatur
Avondale Estates
Poncey-Highland
Inman Park
Candler Park
Lake Claire
Druid Hills (outside the mansion district)
Emory
Midtown
Grant Park
Cabbagetown
Kirkwood
East Atlanta
Virginia Highland

Some might argue Morningside and Ansley Park, but I think you're losing the "funk factor" and moving into serious yuppiedom there.
There now, that can of worms has been opened...

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-11-2008 at 05:59 PM..

Old 04-11-2008, 05:51 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,432,840 times
This little restaurant/cafe might inspire you. It's called Duck's Cosmic Kitchen and it is located off the main path of Decatur but the locals have heavily supported it because of the good food and neighborhood feel.

Small Business Marketing - Atlanta

Old 04-11-2008, 05:56 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,230,457 times
Okay, sounds like you're definitely up for a change! People here are VERY welcoming. When I had my second child, I had meals dropped off at my house for two weeks from people I never met. I had previously lived in NYC for 12 years and never even knew the names of my neighbors!
People for the most part are understanding about having children in the workplace from what I've seen. If you're open to the fact that it's a 4 hour drive to the nearest beach, 2 hours from the mountains and other than that great fine dining and great greasy spoons but not too much middle of the road (more of an Applebees community for middle of the road) you'll be fine.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:11 PM

3,349 posts, read 7,042,149 times
Duck's Cosmic Kitchen looks really cool and will be one of the first placing I go to when I move. Cmtiger, thanks for the info but do you really need $400-$500K to purchase a home? I want something cheaper than my $550K home I purchased in CA we were really hoping to get something between $300-$400K range, but stunning in comparison to the 1000 sq ft home we bought 3 years ago. LovinDecatur I will check out those areas too, but are you sure about those places in terms of raising kids as my biggest concern is my children. I can always commute to the action I don't necessarily have to live in the action if that makes sense just want to make sure those areas exist in GA my husband really loves to go out and he really LOVES coffee.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:14 PM

1,573 posts, read 5,762,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Good call, cmtiger...
I'll go out on a limb and give my opinion on the neighborhoods in Atlanta that have the closest thing to a northern CA "vibe":

Decatur
Avondale Estates
Poncey-Highland
Inman Park
Candler Park
Lake Claire
Druid Hills (outside the mansion district)
Emory
Midtown
Grant Park
Cabbagetown
Kirkwood
East Atlanta
Virginia Highland

Some might argue Morningside and Ansley Park, but I think you're losing the "funk factor" and moving into serious yuppiedom there.
There now, that can of worms has been opened...
These are all great neighborhoods (I live in the City of Decatur myself) and I think you will be AMAZED at how much charm they have for the price. While neighborhoods like Virginia Highlands, Candler Park, Inman Park, Morningside, etc, are fairly expensive by Atlanta standards, they are easily 1/3 or 1/4 of the price you would pay for a similar house in a similar close to downtown neighborhood in San Francisco. And don't be overwhelmed by this long list of neighborhoods because they are all in the same general location -- east of downtown/midtown (between 1-6 miles away from the heart of downtown) and inside the perimeter (also known as ITP). If you don't already know, the perimeter is a highway that circles the city, much like the Beltway in DC, only smaller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta