U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 12:42 PM

36 posts, read 142,964 times

Advertisements

Getting some great info on moving to Atl Area from Bay Area; thanks allot.
I'm in a similar situation. I'd like to move out of the Bay Area, were in the East Bay, and have been researching the software industry in North Atl. My husband has over 10 years developing and is in his earning prime, but we still are having trouble making it on one income here. Any suggestions as to jobs in the software industry there? Also, Is it a standard there for employers to pay for health ins. for the whole family or just the employee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2008, 01:03 PM

3,345 posts, read 7,038,122 times
Great questions about the insurance. I have the same question. What part of Georgia are your considering moving to & when? What part of the Bay Area do you live in now? I can't wait to leave this place too expensive and very over-rated.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:14 PM

36 posts, read 142,964 times
We're in Castro Valley, unincorporated Alameda County.
We don't have a move date yet. I'm still researching. I've looked into Roswell before and then decided staying in the Bay Area is better for my husbands job. He really doesn't want to leave. He grew up in Alabama and then Minnasota (sp?) and couldn't wait to live in CA. I am still trying to prove to him that we could do better for our family elsewhere. I see this place (Bay Area) falling apart and he doesn't think that's it's really effecting us.
I don't know how people live in Atl, but here, without 2 big incomes we live Very frugally. Pretty much everything we have is a hand me down. We struggle to keep up a 40 year old 1500sq ft house. The expenses here, such as groceries, gas and recreation are just increasing ( gas-3.85 for 87octane, eggs $3 carton, over $400 for T-ball.) I've made so many cuts in our budget, I'm stuck as to what else I can do. Granted, we have good friends and family near and they would be missed, but how are we supposed to save for retirement, college and enjoy life a bit with out going into the red. Sorry , but this seems to be common among many parents here. Now and I'm wondering if we could do what we would like to do, save and buy clothes some where other than target, if we live in ATL.

Old 05-01-2008, 02:17 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,485,377 times
I think the only thing cheaper here is the house....

Old 05-01-2008, 02:26 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,184,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I think the only thing cheaper here is the house....
I think pless is probably correct. Your lifestyle reads like mine. It seems like there are lots of people who can afford more a more luxurious lifestyle, but in all honesty, they must have family incomes in excess of $150K, or be running into the red, or not saving at all for kids' college and retirement - or all of the above! It's not financial nirvana here, either, so be careful to look before your leap.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:37 PM

Thank you, I disagree with the last two posts as I have lived in Georgia and I doubt that they have lived in the Bay Area where my husband and I are broke making over $180K (and there is no way for one of us to even think about not working). Atlanta has a lot to offer your family such as other kids to play with. Where as in the Bay Area this place is for single people, families tend to have 1 kid if any at all. You simply can not live off of a decent salary here, where any where else in the US you can. The Bay Area is the only place in this country were one can not afford to rent an apartment off of minimum wage. My rinky dink home in CA is 1000 sq and is not in the best area is worth over $700K in ATL you don't have to spend nearly as much. That means a lot. A good school in CA means private school which will cost close to if not over $2000/month. A place to rent $2000+ if you don't want to live in the ghetto (these are true apartments and not townhomes which GA is used to). And frankly kids are not finishing school like they are in GA. For single women I would say ATL is not the place to be its the Bay Area but if you are married with kids Georgia is ideal.

Please convince your husband to move. It was very difficult to convince my husband as well because he has been here for over 30 years. But he realized as did I that this place is making us broke and we can't enjoy our family (we never take a vacation). If anything you get from my post, you can't take the weather to the bank and we all are going to get old and having money in the bank is better than living the pretend and very much over-rated lifestyle of the Bay Area (there's more to life).

Old 05-01-2008, 04:12 PM

One last thing I'd like to ad while I'm on the box, I doubt that people in GA aren't afraid to go out to eat a their favorite restaurants as we are here. In "good neighborhoods" here in the Bay Area restaurants and their customers have been robbed at gun point (with a whole gang of robbers).

I know some will say that the ATL has crime too but I don't think it is anything compared to the Bay Area where anything goes & don't get me started on the protesters.

And one more thing about the expense here, if you actually live in San Francisco $2000 will get you a studio apartment (not a house like in GA, just to clarify) & to own you will need a minimum of $600K for a condo (people must sell drugs here because I don't know how they can afford to buy homes at 1.2 mill in today's market where there are bidding wars still (mostly in SF not the rest of the bay area)).
You'll have to pay threw the nose for parking (where you live and work that stuff is not free), plus you have to calculate all the parking tickets you will get (which is very common) because you can't find parking.

So GA folks you have it good, the home is not the only thing cheap about GA.

Old 05-01-2008, 07:15 PM

169 posts, read 477,302 times
GA is much cheaper than SF. We moved down here from NYC and my sister lives in SF. We used to compare our expenses when I was in NY and they were similar. Her housing was actually more expensive then ours. We moved to Alpharetta and before we knew it we were homeowners with a mortgage lower than any rent we ever paid in NYC, 2 cars etc. and easily able to acquire everything we wanted.
Plus we were able to live on one income. If your husband is in software Alpharetta has a lot of tech companies. You will be able to live on one income here and the area is very safe, a bit boring but safe. It all depends on your priorities and where you are in life kids, etc. We have a very nice 4 bed basement home that has ended up being too large for us that we will soon be renting or selling. We also want to be in an area that has better public transportation(driving is overated) and more to do. So our next move will probably be to something smaller and either urban or near a college area.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:54 PM

Jomaark, what's your take on the difference between Alpharettta, East & West Cobb, & Marietta? Which areas do you like and why? I'll be revisiting those areas this month and just wanted some feedback. I'll also be checking out Decatur & Norcross.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:17 PM

169 posts, read 477,302 times
I am sure I am going to get zapped for this because everyone is always mentioning East and West Cobb but I don't get it. Personally I like Alpharetta the best. Too be honest I only go to East and West Cobb to the Smyrna Marketplace and Vinings restaurant area and that's not very often. Marietta doesn't impress me. That said I am not an old house fixer upper person. When we first moved here we looked at buying in the VA Highlands area which is a very cool area but the minute you buy a house you have to renovate it. That's changed now with time and McMansions but after living in small spaces in NYC we wanted house space. Alpharetta at least where we live is a half hour to Atlanta non rush hour. We end up going to the city at least once or twice a week for a movie, museum, dinner, music etc. and it's a very easy trip. I
like the newness of Alpharetta. It feels like the most
eastern urban suburban area of metro Atlanta. It diverse contrary to what you read on here as well. One thing I would say to anyone moving here is yes you can get more
house for your money the farther you get from Atlanta but north of Alpharetta is still rural in many places. Contrary to what you read on the boards Alpharetta has homes from the 200's and up not just 500,000 and up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta