U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:36 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,015,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
Okay, calm down. My only point is that a lot of people come here thinking it so much cheaper than where they are and find out it's not as cheap as they thought. There are often unexpected expenses.

I live in the city of Atlanta now. I can tell you that if you still plan to keep your child in private school it's going to be about the same as you're paying now, depending on the school.

Now, the suburbs are definitely cheaper all around - daycare, private school, everything. It's not the same cost of living across all of Georgia.
You know I kind of to agree with you. Coming from the tri state area originally the only real difference for us has been the housing cost......oh yeah and the car insurance....pretty much everything else is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 AM

3,334 posts, read 7,024,104 times
Kaday, do you live in Atlanta or the surrounding areas if you do I stand by my previous points? I wish you could see the mess we live in here in CA. Just the difference in state taxes is enough for me to move. CA & GA cost of living standards is totally different, if that wasn't the case then so many people wouldn't be moving to GA on a daily basis.

Old 05-02-2008, 01:40 PM

82 posts, read 304,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
You know I kind of to agree with you. Coming from the tri state area originally the only real difference for us has been the housing cost......oh yeah and the car insurance....pretty much everything else is the same.
FWIW, my car insurance will be about 40% cheaper in ATL than it is in L.A. Gas looks to be about $0.35 cheaper per gallon, though vehicle registration (tax) is similar. Property taxes will be a slightly higher percentage, though less because the homes are less. A 10'x20' Public storage unit will be $103 less per month ...

Cost of living comparisons must be made on a case by case basis, but it is a safe generalization to say that the cost of living is is much cheaper in GA than CA.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:06 PM

36 posts, read 142,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I think the only thing cheaper here is the house....
With the price of the house you have the property taxes. My neighbors house just sold for $470. It's a forclosure, on a the corner of a 40mph street. The new owners will be paying close to 5k a year in proptaxes. And that's in our housing downturn. If I want to live in a better part of my town, I've got to pay over 650k; that gets me paying over 6k a year in prop taxes.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:14 PM

Ffej, as I mentioned before state, local, & city taxes are higher in CA than in GA (especially in N. CA). Which is a significant difference that should be considered when you are comparing cost of living from one state to the next (this tells you how much you get to keep in your pocket at the end of the day) & there isn't a tax in GA like in CA when you are purchasing car from a regular person, you also get charged more if you use plastic bags in certain cities, etc. N. CA is one of the most expensive places to live in the country as quoted by CNN, Wall Street Journal, NY Times, etc. so what would be the need to make a case by case comparison, when the general fact is that this place is expensive I can attest to that so can all the people that I know that picked up and left here and those that remain for the weather.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Thank you, I know you understand and are feeling my pain which others that don't live here just don't understand.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:27 PM

[quote=plessthanpointohfive;3645523]Okay, calm down. My only point is that a lot of people come here thinking it so much cheaper than where they are and find out it's not as cheap as they thought. There are often unexpected expenses.

Unexpected expenses? Exactly our point- In Ca you can't afford to save for unexpected expenses. At least with a smaller mortgage and taxes you've got some wiggle room. Many people I know, with incomes over 100k are living paycheck to paycheck. Allot of them have tapped into their home equity, which is dwindling, to survive. There's no middle income life here. You are either stretched to your gills trying to live a middle income life or you live a lower income life. Not that I'm saying lower income is bad, it's just not what you expect when you and your spouse are college educated, he's an amazing software engineer, you have no credit card debt, no car payment, and still can't afford to buy a new dress (at Ross mind you) without worrying about what you won't be able to afford next week.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:34 PM

Okay, the buying a new dress comment didn't come across like I expected. I just want to be able to not stress so much about our daily expenses ( which don't include buying allot of dresses) and give my children a happy upbringing in a safe, healthy, stable community where I don't have to get bitter about the grungy stuff going on around me.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:42 PM

Thank you, go ahead and preach. People in GA don't know how good they have it. If my husband and I can make the same salary in GA as we do in CA with less expenses I'm moving. The expenses are way over my head and create a very stressful family dynamic. For $650K in a "good neighborhood" here still doesn't get you much. But $650K in GA is a lot of money.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:45 PM

Thank you, no apologies and or clarifications needed. You are going threw what others here like myself are experiencing. Being single in this place and going to college was pretty good but when you become a true adult and have children this place becomes over-rated and very expensive. But of course we didn't notice these things when we were single adults because this place is tailored for singles and people with money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta