U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 12:40 PM

3,345 posts, read 7,039,484 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving from the Bay Area/California in June of this year. Many of our friends and family think we are nuts for moving from California but it is just too expensive and the education system here is horrible. Unfortunately our friends and family have nothing but very negative things to say about moving to GA. I have a 6 year old and a 2 year old and don't know which area to move to. I'd like to move to a very good but diverse area. Where the children have activities (they play soccer). We'd prefer to move to an area where sports and education are of the highest quality.

My husband fell in love with Alpharetta but his friends that moved from GA to Richmond, VA said that they hated GA and that it was a very racist place. They tried to convince us to move there but it just wasn't my cup of tea. Others say that it is very difficult to find a job and that folks are not very open minded (although I do realize that a place is what you make of it). My husband liked the downtown & Buckhead area as well but said that it looked a little sketchy. I haven't been in GA for over 7 years so the crime really worries me especially since I watch CNN daily and they often talk about the crime rate in ATL & the previous posts on this site have gone over the crime situation too. Someone on one of the posts mentioned Marietta for having crime which surprises me because I hear that the education system is good in that city.

When I move to GA I would like to open a catering business and was told Buckhead or Midtown would be ideal. Could some one recommend an area for a food business where there is a lot of foot traffic and or a lot of businesses near by? In CA there are many requirements for opening up a restaurant type of business, but haven't found the GA Health Dept. could anyone provide info on that. Is the process for opening a business in GA very complicated?

What's up with lease to own options?

Also my husband is an Accountant are accounting jobs hard to come by? How long could one estimate it takes to get a job in GA?

Please provide truthful information on things to do and which areas would be ideal to relocate to like Alpharetta area (am a little worried about Alpharetta because they say Fulton county is not a good county for schools), Marrietta, Duluth, Norcross, Roswell & any other place you could recommend.

Thank you so much and I appreciate your patience with my long winded post. But it is a big move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 12:48 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,326,608 times
Your husband shouldn't have a problem finding an accounting job in just about any part of the metro, but he should really look into what the salaries would be, since that will drive what you can afford (and where you can afford).

You'll have the same level of regulations opening your catering business here as you do in CA- health department requirements, licenses, inspections, etc.

WRT where to live, alot will depend on your budget, and also what you consider "diverse". To some, "diverse" means 90% black, while to others it means one black family, one hispanic family, and one asian family in the neighborhood- the "right" location for you will highly depend on what you're really looking for.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM

23,120 posts, read 36,432,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Unfortunately our friends and family have nothing but very negative things to say about moving to GA.

My husband fell in love with Alpharetta but his friends that moved from GA to Richmond, VA said that they hated GA and that it was a very racist place.
What bloody nonsense...have any of these experts on southern culture ever even been here?

Look, the bottom line is that the Atlanta metropolitan area has over 5 million people, the majority of whom at this point aren't even southern. Sure, there are racists lurking about, just like in Boston, NYC, Chicago and Los Angeles.

Sorry if I seem touchy on the subject, but I had to put up with crass comments like that all the time during my years in NYC.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:17 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,429,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What bloody nonsense...have any of these experts on southern culture ever even been here?

Look, the bottom line is that the Atlanta metropolitan area has over 5 million people, the majority of whom at this point aren't even southern. Sure, there are racists lurking about, just like in Boston, NYC, Chicago and Los Angeles.

Sorry if I seem touchy on the subject, but I had to put up with crass comments like that all the time during my years in NYC.
Bravo!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 01:34 PM

Default Moving in June

Thank you all for your responses. Diverse to me means that folks are open to blacks being in a neighborhood. Where I can see other ethnic/nationalities without people being weird. We don't have to live all amongst blacks or whites just in a safe environment. Diverse to me also means that there are several different places to eat at and things to do (we love Asian, Mexican, and Italian food). I like seeing people exercising as my husband and I both run. Basically we'd like to make friends.

In terms of our price range we don't want to spend what we do here in CA. I guess no more than $2000/mo. Eventually, once we have lived in GA for a couple of months and have figured out where we want to be in GA then we'd want to buy a place.

I've heard a lot about Gwinett County could any one give some information about cities and living experience there? Also, a realtor told me that Decatur was dangerous it that true?

Thanks for the info.

Bayarea-girl

Old 04-11-2008, 01:42 PM

I think you just relax your preconceived notions about "Crackertown"; come and spend some time here with an experienced realtor and get to know the areas...you'll find your niche.
Is the city of Decatur (zip 30030) dangerous? NO

Old 04-11-2008, 01:43 PM

I will answer before LovinDecatur has an aneurysm. No Decatur is not dangerous - especially when you refer to the City of Decatur. The City of Decatur is a part of DeKalb County but it is very different from the rest of Decatur.

Here is the link for the City of Decatur. City of Decatur, GA It has it's own police, fire and school system. Many families chose City of Decatur for it's school system. Here is a link to the school system City Schools of Decatur

Check out this website for school ratings: GreatSchools.net

Old 04-11-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I will answer before LovinDecatur has an aneurysm.
Too late..I'm at least 150/110 now

Old 04-11-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Too late..I'm at least 150/110 now
Sorry I was too slow. As soon as I Google the number for 911, I will call the paramedics.

Last edited by George Chong; 04-11-2008 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-11-2008, 02:10 PM

So another question comes to mind. Really how is the weather? How long are the winters? What is the period of time when the weather is blazing hot? How is the drought situation? Don't get me wrong I love GA but just have to ask & I'd rather be in the heat than the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta