Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 06:15 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Sorry but it reeks of non assimilation and yes it is offensive.
No one said anything about non-assimilation but you, and no one is offended but you, ron.

Quote:
Shame we have people come on here and ask these types of questions in 2019.
Are you saying that it's a shame that we have people coming on City-Data Forum to ask questions about where to live when moving to a new city?

I am pretty certain that asking questions and finding out about where to live when moving to a new city is one of the purposes of the City-Data website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 06:26 PM

290 posts, read 368,968 times
Quote:
America exports stuff all over the world. What you said makes no sense. Anywhere you go there will be what you are talking about. Been all over with business travel not once have I had to ask for an “American” grocery store. Doing such would be ridiculous. Just like me going to another country and asking where all the Americans are at so I can feel “comfortable”. I would be shunned and should be.
Believe it or not, you can’t get barbecue sauce, hot dogs, spaghetti, etc. everywhere. At least in China you have to go to the imported section of a more upscale supermarket or a supermarket that is devoted to selling imported “western” products (Jenny Lou’s in Beijing). They cannot be found at your normal supermarket or farmers market.

If you started living in a foreign country I bet you would miss spaghetti and meatballs, a good beef brisket or a taco. There are expats all over the world that live in expat communities. This is due to language barriers, common way of thinking, etc. Search up Sanlitun in Beijing. Nobody in foreign countries care if you want to live with people of the same background as you.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
There are plenty of apartments with huge Indian communities in the 30339 zip code. If you don’t have children that area is really nice. Cannot point out specific apartment complexes however because I’m not very familiar with that area.

If you do have school aged children the Walton High School area is the best, that area has some of the best public schools in the state and the Southeast United States. Walton has a decent sized Indian community (my estimate is at least 13-15% and growing). However, there are no apartments in the area so you may have to rent a single family house. Wheeler isn’t bad either but not as good and prestigious as Walton, there is a decent Indian community there too (10-15% is my guess and it is also growing). This area however does not have a ton of Indian grocery stores.

The area with the most Indians living in Apartment complexes is Alpharetta. Most apartment complexes there are well over 50-60% Indian. There are plenty of Indian grocery stores and restaurants here.

The area with the most Indians in metro Atlanta is South Forsyth County. Most of the elementary schools there are more than 40% Indian. Daves Creek elementary is about 65% Indian. Many Indian groceries and restaurants here. This area however is very far from where your husband will be working and does not have a lot of apartment complexes (only one comes to mind is Summit Crossing apartments). It is usually at least a 45 min drive during rush hour.

Please note that most Indians that live in the Atlanta area are South Indian (Telugu, Tamil, Kannada) but there are still many North Indians that live in Atlanta, just not as many as South Indians.
While Wheeler High School may not necessarily be as highly regarded as Walton High School, Wheeler High School is still more way better than just "not bad."

Wheeler High School is home to one of the most highly regarded STEM (Science Technology Engineering Math) magnet programs in the entire U.S. with a great regular curriculum outside of the program, as well.

Wheeler Magnet: The Center for Advanced Studies in Science, Math and Technology

Quote:
The Wheeler Magnet Program was ranked #2 in Study.com's list of 30 Top High School STEM Programs in the nation!
Top 30 High School STEM Programs (Study.com)

The OP should know that Wheeler is an excellent school, especially for a family who has to live in apartment housing.

Lots of community support and involvement, lots of financial investment by the Cobb County School Board, an exceptional STEM magnet program and a great regular curriculum... Wheeler is a great school that the OP should feel very good about sending their children to, if they have children.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:33 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
ron, if you were moving to India don't you think you'd be interested in finding an apartment with Americans and American grocery stores nearby?
The op never said they were moving directly from India, you presumed that. They could well be moving from elsewhere in the USA.
I come from California in a predominantly white community and the stereotype of Atlanta is that there are a lot of African Americans living here.
That said , how would it come across asking to live in an apartment with mostly white people because that was what I was comfortable with?

Old 04-08-2019, 06:53 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,755 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, you can’t get barbecue sauce, hot dogs, spaghetti, etc. everywhere. At least in China you have to go to the imported section of a more upscale supermarket or a supermarket that is devoted to selling imported “western” products (Jenny Lou’s in Beijing). They cannot be found at your normal supermarket or farmers market.

If you started living in a foreign country I bet you would miss spaghetti and meatballs, a good beef brisket or a taco. There are expats all over the world that live in expat communities. This is due to language barriers, common way of thinking, etc. Search up Sanlitun in Beijing. Nobody in foreign countries care if you want to live with people of the same background as you.

Why would I be buying hotdogs or BBQ sauce in China? When I travel I eat the local cuisine. I don't go to a McDonalds or KFC. I also don't go to a store requesting BBQ sauce. Talk about someone not traveling.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:23 AM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
The op never said they were moving directly from India, you presumed that. They could well be moving from elsewhere in the USA.
I come from California in a predominantly white community and the stereotype of Atlanta is that there are a lot of African Americans living here.
That said , how would it come across asking to live in an apartment with mostly white people because that was what I was comfortable with?
Well, you have a point. I did assume they were moving directly from India and that could well be wrong.

Old 04-08-2019, 04:40 PM

290 posts, read 368,968 times
Quote:

Why would I be buying hotdogs or BBQ sauce in China? When I travel I eat the local cuisine. I don't go to a McDonalds or KFC. I also don't go to a store requesting BBQ sauce. Talk about someone not traveling.
We are not talking about traveling. Is the OP just traveling to Atlanta? If you can understand English the answer would be NO. I’m talking about if you were living in China already for more than a year and planning on staying for the foreseeable future. You probably already ate the local cuisine everyday for a year. You are saying you won’t miss any American cuisine?

I even wrote the word living clearly in my response so you either didn’t fully read what I wrote or you don’t understand English.

This is starting to get very off track. I’m just trying to talk some sense to you because clearly you are lacking some.

Old 04-08-2019, 05:04 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,382,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantauser9 View Post
Hi , we are planning to move to Atlanta area . my husband’s office is near the zip code 30339 Atlanta . We are looking for an apartment with Indians (Notth Indians possibly)around . Also the Indian groceries etc are not too far .please help and advise .
Evening, Atlantauser9! I know little about the 30339 zip code; however, I do live in South Forsyth County. Many Indians live in our neighborhood (I would guess that about 30% of our neighborhood is Indian) and there are many Indian restaurants (yum!) and grocery stores in the area. There are also many cricket teams, which seem to play on Sundays. The commute might be too far for your husband, but I do think you should look into it.

Best of luck to you and your family!

Old 04-08-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Evening, Atlantauser9! I know little about the 30339 zip code; however, I do live in South Forsyth County. Many Indians live in our neighborhood (I would guess that about 30% of our neighborhood is Indian) and there are many Indian restaurants (yum!) and grocery stores in the area. There are also many cricket teams, which seem to play on Sundays. The commute might be too far for your husband, but I do think you should look into it.

Best of luck to you and your family!
Yes, a commute from South Forsyth County to the Atlanta 30339 zip code (Cumberland/Vinings area) would be quite the challenge on many days where morning commute times could range as high as over an hour-and-a-half one-way because of the extremely heavy traffic on southbound Georgia 400.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:11 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,755 times
Quote:
We are not talking about traveling. Is the OP just traveling to Atlanta? If you can understand English the answer would be NO. I’m talking about if you were living in China already for more than a year and planning on staying for the foreseeable future. You probably already ate the local cuisine everyday for a year. You are saying you won’t miss any American cuisine?

I even wrote the word living clearly in my response so you either didn’t fully read what I wrote or you don’t understand English.

This is starting to get very off track. I’m just trying to talk some sense to you because clearly you are lacking some.
Your first post said I clearly “have never been out of the country”. I told you that I have and not once did I ever ask someone to point me to Americans or an American grocery store because that would be ridiculous and very crass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta