Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 02:13 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I don’t like metric based studies in the case. Studies like this one takes away human and cultural(racial) factors on why people pick a particular place to live. Most people live in a place of money and fear of change.
The one smaller metro (with a little over 2,00,000 people) that consistently lands in the top 10 or 15 Best places (no matter the source or criteria used) is

Raleigh-Durham, NC

which has barely left the top rankings since being named the #1 best place to live back in 1993 or 1994.

Old 04-15-2019, 02:18 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
The one smaller metro (with a little over 2,00,000 people) that consistently lands in the top 10 or 15 Best places (no matter the source or criteria used) is

Raleigh-Durham, NC

which has barely left the top rankings since being named the #1 best place to live back in 1993 or 1994.
I've considered Raleigh Durham a few times (mainly for employment reasons) but for some reason it just didnt really catch on to me.

Old 04-17-2019, 09:44 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Atlanta ranked 57th best..

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Man, if we could only be like Des Moines, Iowa or Fayetteville, Arkansas we'd be really doing something...

Speaking up on behalf of Des Moines, when was the last time you visited that city much less lived there?
If the answer is "never" on both counts, keep in mind the sayings that go "bigger is not necessarily better" or "don't knock it until you've tried it"!
And comparing one quality of life factor between Atlanta & Des Moines, take a guess at which city actually has 2 rivers & a small lake in it's downtown area... Hint: It's not Atlanta.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-mi...here-you-think

Old 04-18-2019, 06:11 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Speaking up on behalf of Des Moines, when was the last time you visited that city much less lived there?
If the answer is "never" on both counts, keep in mind the sayings that go "bigger is not necessarily better" or "don't knock it until you've tried it"!
And comparing one quality of life factor between Atlanta & Des Moines, take a guess at which city actually has 2 rivers & a small lake in it's downtown area... Hint: It's not Atlanta.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-mi...here-you-think
I'll pass.....

Old 04-18-2019, 06:47 AM

Default Atlanta ranked 57th...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsville_secede View Post
I'll pass.....
That's certainly your right but then also your loss, especially if you've never visited there before deciding to weigh in...

I'll also venture forth with the view that when people post comments about places they've probably never been to, it smacks of a sort of parochialism which I find regrettable & close-minded, especially when coming from people who live in large urban settings which supposedly should open our minds to all sorts of possibilities.

Old 04-18-2019, 06:51 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Quote:
That's certainly your right but then also your loss, especially if you've never visited there before deciding to weigh in...

I'll also venture forth with the view that when people post comments about places they've probably never been to, it smacks of a sort of parochialism which I find regrettable & close-minded, especially when coming from people who live in large urban settings which supposedly should open our minds to all sorts of possibilities.
Well you sure are making a lot of assumptions. First of all I've been to pretty much every major city and a lot of medium size / small towns, I've never been close-minded about exploring other possibilities.. I'm sure it's a fine town but for me it's a deal breaker as a place to live there because of 1) the lack of diversity 2) being in the middle of nowhere. I don't need to visit Des Moines specifically to know that.

Old 04-18-2019, 07:41 AM

May I point out that my first post of yesterday on this topic was in response to what could only be described as a snide comment directed at Des Moines and another city that came in ranked noticeably higher than did Atlanta in the survey cited as the thread topic.
I've seen plenty of such posts over the years when an urban place that is smaller or deemed less significant is judged in a survey to have some stronger attributes in terms of quality of life. The knee jerk reaction to outwrite diminish the worth of that usually smaller city is wrong-headed and that is my main point here.
I'll also say that what constitutes "...the middle of nowhere.." is a subjective viewpoint. As for example, someone in New York City may think that Atlanta is in the middle of nowhere. Given New York's close proximity to the metropolises of Philadelphia &/or Boston, the reality of how far it is from Atlanta to another major metro area lends an ease to understanding how that view could be held.

On the diversity point, our notions of what diversity is & our expectations of what constitutes it may be too strictly defined and need some retooling given our vast national ethnic mosaic that is constantly morphing. As for example, recalling a visit a decade ago with my friend to her large supermarket of choice in central Des Moines, I was amazed to find a surprisingly large section of goods specifically designed to meet the needs of the Bosnian community.

In terms of the op's cited source material, there are 2 responses that I'd recommend:
1. We can recognize that Atlanta's ranking at 57th in the survey points out that we have work to do in terms of quality of life issues and that we can react to that fact without resenting other places that may perform better.

2. We can be surprised by the overall results & probably should stay open to such surprises and be mindful that in judging places other than where we live, we really don't know what we don't know until we know it.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:15 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
May I point out that my first post of yesterday on this topic was in response to what could only be described as a snide comment directed at Des Moines and another city that came in ranked noticeably higher than did Atlanta in the survey cited as the thread topic.
I've seen plenty of such posts over the years when an urban place that is smaller or deemed less significant is judged in a survey to have some stronger attributes in terms of quality of life. The knee jerk reaction to outwrite diminish the worth of that usually smaller city is wrong-headed and that is my main point here.
I'll also say that what constitutes "...the middle of nowhere.." is a subjective viewpoint. As for example, someone in New York City may think that Atlanta is in the middle of nowhere. Given New York's close proximity to the metropolises of Philadelphia &/or Boston, the reality of how far it is from Atlanta to another major metro area lends an ease to understanding how that view could be held.

On the diversity point, our notions of what diversity is & our expectations of what constitutes it may be too strictly defined and need some retooling given our vast national ethnic mosaic that is constantly morphing. As for example, recalling a visit a decade ago with my friend to her large supermarket of choice in central Des Moines, I was amazed to find a surprisingly large section of goods specifically designed to meet the needs of the Bosnian community.

In terms of the op's cited source material, there are 2 responses that I'd recommend:
1. We can recognize that Atlanta's ranking at 57th in the survey points out that we have work to do in terms of quality of life issues and that we can react to that fact without resenting other places that may perform better.

2. We can be surprised by the overall results & probably should stay open to such surprises and be mindful that in judging places other than where we live, we really don't know what we don't know until we know it.
In this particular survey, NYC is ranked lower than Atlanta. It's almost as smaller cities are preferred over the larger ones due to less traffic and lower cost of living. Anyhow, I choose to stay in Atlanta because it's what I know, and no matter where I live I'll always be worried about what goes on in my city (crime and transportation or lack there of).

Old 04-19-2019, 02:34 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Looks like this is going downhill fast.

Here ya'll go ... alittle soul lifter:

Forbes Best Employers: Georgia Companies Make 2019 List | Atlanta, GA Patch
https://patch.com/georgia/atlanta/fo...make-2019-list

Old 06-15-2019, 02:14 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,358,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
LOL, 28 million people in Texas vs. 11 million in Jawjuh, and pulling away in pretty much all important categories.

I won't quibble on your response. It's like me and Denver. I've been several times and it never got me. I like Fort Collins better and would prefer Atlanta over it. Some places just don't feel right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta