Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 03:16 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
For obvious aspects Atlanta has an incomparably stronger economy than Detroit therefore also has much more ability to gravitate residents than most rust belt cities of which in general are suffering to begin with as the national industry of manufacturing ended leaving them cold and dry.

Manufacturing was the reasons cities like Chicago, Detroit, ect thrived despite their frigid difficult weather, they at that time had the economic gravity to overcome those setbacks. Because that is over, and now most major cities offer the same kind of jobs within this country, people are now looking more into quality of life. That includes, better weather, scenery, lower cost of living, less crime... because you can find the same kind of job, or similar in Atlanta as you could Chicago, what do you figure will happen? They move south because its a better climate, better housing (I mean realistically we have to agree you get alot more house in Atlanta than you would in Detroit or Chicago), ect... in short, there is no longer a 'need' to deal with the harsher climates and rougher lifestyles in the northern cities as there used to be, hence why they are losing people. Top that with Atlanta, along with all of the southern major cities are relatively newer in comparison and developed much later in the game, they can offer more modern amenities, newer housing, more acres per yard, and a crapton of sprawl.

Most southern cities are beneficiaries of these movements.

Something else I haven't seen in a long time is the 'Smog Alert' on the Traffic advisory signs...I remember them being on every other day in the summer then suddenly that just disappeared.
I still get a kick out of Atlanta needing to boost itself by bringing in Detroit and Chicago. Yes, Atlanta has similar jobs by NORTHERN Corporate relocations. Less its own strengths past decades, but tax incentives and less employee protections and wages. Now like China gaining so much in US Corporate relocations. It can flex its own growth too.

Suburban Detroit is in no decline. Georgia has more depressed areas then Michigan outside of these cities and metros. Even Illinois with its state issues has less.

Chicago only partially had the declines of Detroit. Its economy is much more diversified and Its Core was not abandoned by Corporate America. It got 3 of its iconic Super-Talls .... in the decades its core was swing other declines and losing retail. It clearly was restored. But Retail in this Nation is being hurt big time. Hopefully our cities with much yet..... can keep them going.

Atlanta is not the LONE SOUTWEST BOOM CITY in the pond now. It has CHARLOTTE and NASHVILLE to COMPETE WITH NOW. It just needs to accept it and THEY IT COMPETES WITH for Northern Corporate relocations also. Till they slow more too..... and eventually more balance in cost. Cost are rising in these Sunbelt cities too. Infrastructure needs rise yearly. Sprawl cost more too over time.

Every city has to adjust o its evolution stages that BOOMS don't always stay TOPS forever. Texas cities too. Seems no stopping them yet. Sadly, Houston's setback came with a hurricane. For Atlanta? It was merely Corporate America began to see other cities to LURE them and won more in competing now with a Atlanta that controls the region just a bit less totally.

Really, this competition is not with Northern cities brought in. Its fellow -- rising -stars -- Southern cities near its own turf. These are now nipping at its fast rise more and more.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-04-2019 at 04:11 PM..

Old 07-04-2019, 05:28 PM

11,800 posts, read 8,008,183 times
I never said Atlanta was the lone and only thriving cities due to these migrations. I mainly stated why it existed and why its more than just cheaper CoL that brings people there.

Old 07-04-2019, 10:30 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I still get a kick out of Atlanta needing to boost itself by bringing in Detroit and Chicago. Yes, Atlanta has similar jobs by NORTHERN Corporate relocations. Less its own strengths past decades, but tax incentives and less employee protections and wages. Now like China gaining so much in US Corporate relocations. It can flex its own growth too.

Suburban Detroit is in no decline. Georgia has more depressed areas then Michigan outside of these cities and metros. Even Illinois with its state issues has less.

Chicago only partially had the declines of Detroit. Its economy is much more diversified and Its Core was not abandoned by Corporate America. It got 3 of its iconic Super-Talls .... in the decades its core was swing other declines and losing retail. It clearly was restored. But Retail in this Nation is being hurt big time. Hopefully our cities with much yet..... can keep them going.

Atlanta is not the LONE SOUTWEST BOOM CITY in the pond now. It has CHARLOTTE and NASHVILLE to COMPETE WITH NOW. It just needs to accept it and THEY IT COMPETES WITH for Northern Corporate relocations also. Till they slow more too..... and eventually more balance in cost. Cost are rising in these Sunbelt cities too. Infrastructure needs rise yearly. Sprawl cost more too over time.

Every city has to adjust o its evolution stages that BOOMS don't always stay TOPS forever. Texas cities too. Seems no stopping them yet. Sadly, Houston's setback came with a hurricane. For Atlanta? It was merely Corporate America began to see other cities to LURE them and won more in competing now with a Atlanta that controls the region just a bit less totally.

Really, this competition is not with Northern cities brought in. Its fellow -- rising -stars -- Southern cities near its own turf. These are now nipping at its fast rise more and more.
This is basically unintelligible, and very difficult to read

If I'm interpreting it correctly, it seems the main takeaway is your usual ATLANTA BAD, WILL HOpEfuLly FaIL sOoN.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:49 AM

6,558 posts, read 12,051,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is basically unintelligible, and very difficult to read

If I'm interpreting it correctly, it seems the main takeaway is your usual ATLANTA BAD, WILL HOpEfuLly FaIL sOoN.
That seems to be the typical attitude of the non-Georgians living among us, or even if they don't live here they spend a lot of time on our forum for some reason.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
That seems to be the typical attitude of the non-Georgians living among us, or even if they don't live here they spend a lot of time on our forum for some reason.
It's a combination of bitterness, envy and jealousy. Add in a dose of pure hatred for some of them.

Old 07-05-2019, 07:07 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
It's a combination of bitterness, envy and jealousy. Add in a dose of pure hatred for some of them.
Honestly, this is like political rhetoric in any none praising by a visitors.... even just to the thread. Is hate. I'm sure there are some former Atlantan's who have baggage and bitterness who left. I see it in the Illinois and Chicago forums all the time.

I note this concern that Atlanta could be losing steam in the main booming Southeast city. But in reading post merely as a visitor to the forum. There is a underlining concern that nearby cities could be hurting Atlanta's boom a bit.

Of course it did not stop nor will. It is all about more competition from other fast-rising cities.

But way too often it goes to they hate and want only ill will. It is in Some Texas city forums too. But much can be between Dallas and Houston themselves.

But some Northerners .... can have bitterness in Corporate America merely going to save $$$. But they were going to Japan, Taiwan and then we made China mighty too now. It our relocation Corporations. Some see this move South in a similar light.

In the end.... no one should wish ill will for any of our American cities. Each and everyone has its own set of issues too. If they truly hate. Don't accuse every forum visitor of it. Way too much it instantly goes to they hate.

You can disagree and say why. But clearly Atlanta has to compete NW much more ....,with nearby other rising cities too. Nashville isn't the sleeper anymore or just Music City USA.

My post are few in this forum. One thread kept me in too many replies. That was all.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Honestly, this is like political rhetoric in any none praising by a visitors.... even just to the thread. Is hate. I'm sure there are some former Atlantan's who have baggage and bitterness who left. I see it in the Illinois and Chicago forums all the time.

I note this concern that Atlanta could be losing steam in the main booming Southeast city. But in reading post merely as a visitor to the forum. There is a underlining concern that nearby cities could be hurting Atlanta's boom a bit.

Of course it did not stop nor will. It is all about more competition from other fast-rising cities.

But way too often it goes to they hate and want only ill will. It is in Some Texas city forums too. But much can be between Dallas and Houston themselves.

But some Northerners .... can have bitterness in Corporate America merely going to save $$$. But they were going to Japan, Taiwan and then we made China mighty too now. It our relocation Corporations. Some see this move South in a similar light.

In the end.... no one should wish ill will for any of our American cities. Each and everyone has its own set of issues too. If they truly hate. Don't accuse every forum visitor of it. Way too much it instantly goes to they hate.

You can disagree and say why. But clearly Atlanta has to compete NW much more ....,with nearby other rising cities too. Nashville isn't the sleeper anymore or just Music City USA.

My post are few in this forum. One thread kept me in too many replies. That was all.
This is nothing but gibberish. Whatever it is you're attempting to say isn't working.

Old 07-05-2019, 11:27 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
This is nothing but gibberish. Whatever it is you're attempting to say isn't working.
Apparently English is not sa langue maternelle.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:06 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
These polls are pretty much all the same; and meant to do one thing, create opportunities to sell ads (ok, create readership which the magazines or establishment sponsoring the poll can then show those they hope to buy ad space - "hey, look at how many viewers we have, they will be sure to see YOUR ad!").

So, when you get your nose bent out of joint about one of these polls, don't. Because, they have to put a little spin on each poll - just enough - so that they share the wealth in terms of results so that they can keep the spin going.

Don't get caught up in this trap.

Now, this thread has been going on long enough and some nice people have gotten caught up in the spin.

Thread closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta