Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 06:17 AM

145 posts, read 93,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
Well, then why does Suwanee, Duluth and Johns Creek have a giant asian demograph ( Duluth is basically Koreatown)? Alpharetta has a huge Indian population. Cumming, Commerce, Gainesville, have a large spanish and southeast asian demographic.

Bruh, you moved to College Park because it sounded normal?
Cumming, Commerce, Gainesville have a large Latino, not Spanish, demographic. Or maybe a Spanish-speaking demographic of Latino residents. Please use proper terminology. The people are not from Spain.

Those towns you listed are not near my job. College Park is. So I moved to a town that didn't have a honkytonk name and was near my job.

Alpharetta is such an awful name. They should have stuck with the original Native American word it's derived from and not tried to "Southernize" it. Sounds so corny.

Old 04-24-2019, 06:19 AM

145 posts, read 93,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I think the South is a very bad match for you, personally. It's no reflection on the area at all.
Perhaps the South is a bad match, but I've been here for many, many years.

And yes, the names of an area ARE a reflection of an area. Newcomers and others alike on this thread have noticed the names are "different". Some claim to like them because they sound honkytonk and Southern. Reread the post. The reasons these posters like the names are the exact reasons I don't like them. They're corny and unsophisticated.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:32 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKanye View Post

And yes, the names of an area ARE a reflection of an area. Newcomers and others alike on this thread have noticed the names are "different". Some claim to like them because they sound honkytonk and Southern. Reread the post. The reasons these posters like the names are the exact reasons I don't like them. They're corny and unsophisticated.
This is nothing more than your extremely subjective opinion, and a huge majority here would vehemently disagree with you.

Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,217,290 times
Quote:

So how about you relocate to somewhere that's more to your standards instead of whining on a message board and using it as a substitute for therapy? You sound pretentious and tedious worrying about things like this. Georgia is still the South after all, so what did you expect?

Last edited by biscuit_head; 04-24-2019 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-24-2019, 10:02 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Cumming, Commerce, Gainesville have a large Latino, not Spanish, demographic. Or maybe a Spanish-speaking demographic of Latino residents. Please use proper terminology. The people are not from Spain.

Those towns you listed are not near my job. College Park is. So I moved to a town that didn't have a honkytonk name and was near my job.

Alpharetta is such an awful name. They should have stuck with the original Native American word it's derived from and not tried to "Southernize" it. Sounds so corny.
Kanye, they didn't Southernize it. Alpha is actually Greek ach. Marietta doesn't strike me as Southern specific, seems Latin to me. Some names are bland but honky-tonk or even hillbilly isn't even the image that comes to mind. Honky-tonk is more cowboyish.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:16 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:

LOL, Kanye...On the surface I may agree but then it's when you elaborate that the reasons kind of get weak. It's the people not the name that brings up sophistication.

Since this is subjective and comparative, it's only right to open this up to other states, metros, and cities. You'll find it in other areas and really, not many people has the name of the city as a top five deal breaker.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:12 PM

12 posts, read 4,015 times
Quote:
because they sound honkytonk and Southern.
Yes! Because, well this is the state of Georgia. The majority of posters on this board surely hail from Homer and Homerville. You gotta go waycross and yonder to get to them. Some have even been known to think Atlanta is like Paris France (maybe because the crime is so high that they easily get confused?).. Paris TN is more apt.

Old 04-24-2019, 12:49 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,355,378 times
Quote:

Yeah...because I choose where I live and visit based on the sophistication of surrounding towns' names.

Is this real life? Do people actually worry about these things?

Old 04-24-2019, 01:02 PM

815 posts, read 708,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yeah...because I choose where I live and visit based on the sophistication of surrounding towns' names.

Is this real life? Do people actually worry about these things?
I know, right? I couldn't believe this post was for real at first, but the discussion about the origins of Atlanta metro place names has been very interesting.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:14 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
This is nothing more than your extremely subjective opinion, and a huge majority here would vehemently disagree with you.
Almost everyone to a tee has vehemently disagreed with him. And liking College Park as a name when there hasn't been a real college there in over 100 years is telling as well. A product of our advertising and put a fake spin on everything culture? Make a place sound more appealing by changing the name? Some do it and it works but for the most part most normal people will look at an odd sounding name and wonder about the history that gave it a name. Most appreciate a unique name that no one else has. Hogansville, my hick sounding southern named hometown, is the only incorporated Hogansville in the US. How many College Parks are there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta