Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 09:01 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times

Advertisements

And no, it absolutely will NOT be legalized here within the next 5 years without it being legalized nationally first. Are you folks forgetting that the list of ailments that are required just to get the medicinal oil is nearly death? And, on top of that they rated the thc percentage in it so low that its not going to be nearly as effective as the oil from other states. It's still a sham just to say they did it IMO. Just as it was when they legalized it initially but made it virtually impossible to actually get it without having to break the law. Want to see how "progressive" the state is when it comes to this issue? Go somewhere outside of Atlanta... down to central or south GA and get pulled over with something as simple as a joint and watch what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 09:25 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
I know...it's so stupid. I used to be a cashier and wonder why when I scanned a bottle it would prompt a message lol. It would take me a while to figure it's due to the time. Exactly! For abortion to even be on the table says a lot. They must feel confident they can get a majority of Georgians to back them on it.

Thanks for writing these things, brownhornet. I was looking at the comments regarding medical marijuana in GA and was like...why are they making it seem as if we have dispensaries here where we can get cannabis. It's just that little oil that got legalized with the low thc percentage like you said.

The state isn't progressive at all or else people wouldn't even be charged with possession of cannabis. The U.S. period is backwards regarding how they criminalize drugs. You have MDMA and magic mushrooms that have promising and serious medicinal value and they are still controlled substances in the U.S. People are getting felonies because of these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I mean you still have to wait until after church hours on Sundays just to be able to go to the liquor store lol. They're practically banning abortion...I dont know why people are acting like this state isn't still ass-backwards. It may have gotten a bit more progressive (Only in the city of ATL and mostly due to people moving here from other regions) but its still the same ol bible belt.
Quote:
And no, it absolutely will NOT be legalized here within the next 5 years without it being legalized nationally first. Are you folks forgetting that the list of ailments that are required just to get the medicinal oil is nearly death? And, on top of that they rated the thc percentage in it so low that its not going to be nearly as effective as the oil from other states. It's still a sham just to say they did it IMO. Just as it was when they legalized it initially but made it virtually impossible to actually get it without having to break the law. Want to see how "progressive" the state is when it comes to this issue? Go somewhere outside of Atlanta... down to central or south GA and get pulled over with something as simple as a joint and watch what happens.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:38 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I was looking at the comments regarding medical marijuana in GA and was like...why are they making it seem as if we have dispensaries here where we can get cannabis.
Please point to where anything remotely like this was stated.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
As is the South. Florida and Georgia have legalized Medical, recreational is around the corner in Florida and we will surely follow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Please point to where anything remotely like this was stated.

I guess it was the former quote. You said that Georgia legalized medical. It could be that because you've lived in GA for such a long time/whatever your life experiences have been that you see the oil with the little THC being legalized for medicinal purposes as "medical." When I see medical marijuana written, I automatically start having thoughts of doctors, prescriptions, dispensaries, no criminal charges for anyone with cannabis if it's less than at least 1 ounce, etc.

Just a reminder, only in Atlanta and I think maybe Clarkston can you not be arrested/charged for possession of less than one ounce. It's still very much criminalized throughout the state. GA has had and still has a high incarceration rate. We must remember the amount of money that's made in our "criminal (quotes for the non-violent drug offenders)" "justice" system by keeping drugs illegal.

Old 05-05-2019, 03:28 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I guess it was the former quote. You said that Georgia legalized medical. It could be that because you've lived in GA for such a long time/whatever your life experiences have been that you see the oil with the little THC being legalized for medicinal purposes as "medical." When I see medical marijuana written, I automatically start having thoughts of doctors, prescriptions, dispensaries, no criminal charges for anyone with cannabis if it's less than at least 1 ounce, etc.

Just a reminder, only in Atlanta and I think maybe Clarkston can you not be arrested/charged for possession of less than one ounce. It's still very much criminalized throughout the state. GA has had and still has a high incarceration rate. We must remember the amount of money that's made in our "criminal (quotes for the non-violent drug offenders)" "justice" system by keeping drugs illegal.

Yea that guy is nuts if he really thinks recreational is around the corner in Georgia lol. Florida is way more possible mainly because they have so many progressive people that move there. Many officers will still take you to jail right here IN Atlanta for a gram of weed. Absolutely nothing progressive about that.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Yea that guy is nuts if he really thinks recreational is around the corner in Georgia lol. Florida is way more possible mainly because they have so many progressive people that move there. Many officers will still take you to jail right here IN Atlanta for a gram of weed. Absolutely nothing progressive about that.

1) Just to play devil's advocate, JMatl may have been/is around some progressive circles and so I'm not going to say their experience isn't valid. The person is quite fortunate. I have lived different places in GA and the one constant is how strong religion is in each place. The war on drugs was mainly justified due to a moral superiority (religious) mindset and so a lot of people who are religious are automatically against drugs such as cannabis because it was already taught that it's bad (and "ungodly"). Then you have flat out racism tied to most drugs and those people are then criminalized even more. There's a serious lack of education going on where people are listening/listened to their church leaders/mainstream media. People tend to believe what they see and fail to do any research of their own.

2) Yes, this can still happen. How it would play out is someone would get pulled over for let's say a tail light not working/speeding and then the officer smells cannabis. The person would be said to be DUI. They'd probably consent to a test although they are not high at the moment and haven't smoked for a few days. This test would likely come out positive if they smoke cannabis regularly. Boom not only an arrest but a charge. The amount of money that gets spent from here is unbelievable assuming they have the resources.

Someone on this forum was talking about how they had to became an entrepreneur due to a record. I did some research and found that people have to wait YEARS before applying for occupational licenses if they have a drug conviction. Not only this but let's say you want to get into the medical field...you are basically barred from the field due to your record having a drug charge. Their argument would be that you are a liability due to a history of substance abuse. Our criminal justice system has basically created a caste society.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:55 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
You are right. If I really wanted marijuana, either for medical purposes or for pleasure, Georgia would not be on my list of places to live.

Old 05-07-2019, 12:34 PM

651 posts, read 476,343 times
Despite what JMatls anecdotal evidence suggests the data doesn't pan out at all that GA is going to legalize marijuana on it's own anytime soon.

All they have go on is a poll done by a news team in which no one has any idea on how it was conducted and if it was even remotely scientific.

People grounded in reality know that this state doesn't have medical dispensaries, doesn't sell anything close to medical grade thc, doesn't allow alcohol before 12 on Sunday in most places and just made abortion essentially illegal.

If the Fed doesn't legalize it first then GA may only follow suite when Florida legalizes it because it's so close to it's border.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:14 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otakumaster View Post
There was one poll by 11 Alive with literally no indication on how many were polled or their demographics and the legalization side was only 55%. They could done the poll at a rave or a college for all we know.

We got whole majority minority counties voting down Marta. You guys have way too much faith in the people of this state to be progressive.
Nationally, support for legalization is at 66%.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/243908/...marijuana.aspx

At that level of support, you don't think GA has crossed 50% yet? I certainly do.

I would say 55% sounds about right, given that GA is generally slightly more conservative than the national average on most issues, but not extremely so like AL or MS.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:19 PM

651 posts, read 476,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

At that level of support, you don't think GA has crossed 50% yet? I certainly do.
NO. Absolutely not.

We just criminalized abortion and can't buy liquor on Sunday morning.

What the frick are you people smoking to think this state is that progressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta