U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 08:41 AM

3 posts, read 30,940 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the Atlanta area from WA and am trying to change careers into the teaching profession. I have a B.A. International Relations and am fluent in Spanish, but do not have a teaching certificate. According to the GATAPP website, I am a good candidate; however, I'm not too sure about the process. My ultimate goal is to teach high school ESOL or Spanish which doesn't exactly correlate with my major. Do you think it's better to enroll in a GA university for my Masters degree/certification then teach or try the GATAPP program? I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions on the best approach for career changers to become certified GA teachers and/or best university programs to look into. I'm also not sure if it's too late to start the GATAPP program for the upcoming school year. Any insight would help, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 06:44 PM

162 posts, read 633,700 times
If I were you I'd go online through Georgia State University Dept of Education and inquire about what classes you need to get for certification in the state of Georgia. I almost looked into this a few years back but things have probably changed since then.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 PM

64 posts, read 247,557 times
Default ESOL/Spanish Teacher

Choose the path of least resistance...whatever will get you to your destination the quickest. Foreign language teachers are in high demand so if you do the GA Tapp program, you can at least teach and earn a salary while you work on getting your certification.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:21 PM

9 posts, read 29,337 times
Hello, jamilpage!

Go to the Atlanta Public Schools site http://www.atlantapublicschools.us/atlantaps/site/default.asp for more info on this:

We are seeking outstanding professionals to commit to teach in Atlanta Public Schools. Our students want you, professionals from a variety of careers and educational backgrounds, to bring your experience, knowledge and record of achievement to continue to positively impact their lives. As an Atlanta PLUS educator, you will receive comprehensive summer training and be provided with ongoing support once you've entered your classroom in the fall. More importantly, you will become a part of a powerful network of leaders who work with other progressive educators to make systemic improvements in Atlanta Public Schools.

No previous education coursework required!!!!!

Salary: $44,312.00 up to $58,978.00

Old 01-27-2010, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 29,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanita15 View Post
Hello, jamilpage!

Go to the Atlanta Public Schools site http://www.atlantapublicschools.us/atlantaps/site/default.asp for more info on this:

We are seeking outstanding professionals to commit to teach in Atlanta Public Schools. Our students want you, professionals from a variety of careers and educational backgrounds, to bring your experience, knowledge and record of achievement to continue to positively impact their lives. As an Atlanta PLUS educator, you will receive comprehensive summer training and be provided with ongoing support once you've entered your classroom in the fall. More importantly, you will become a part of a powerful network of leaders who work with other progressive educators to make systemic improvements in Atlanta Public Schools.

No previous education coursework required!!!!!

Salary: $44,312.00 up to $58,978.00
I was looking into doing that, however, it states that I have to have a Bachelors degree with a 2.5 GPA. I don't have a Bachelors at the moment but I am currently in school studying for my BSED..so how can I get into the program if I don't have my BSED but I do have my AAB. Can you help me?

Old 12-20-2011, 05:16 AM

1 posts, read 4,462 times
Juanita15,

Thank you for the information. I have been living in Spain for 8 years and I am completely fluent in Spanish. I have my B.A. in Spanish from an Ohio University.

So, it seems that I would be elligible to work in Atlanta through this program. Do you consider Atlanta to be a safe city?
What about health care? How do you cover your family´s healthcare? Does being a public school teacher qualify you for some health benefits?
Since I have been living in Spain I haven´t had to think about this before.
Thank you,
Sincerely

Old 12-20-2011, 05:25 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,277,165 times
This post is several years old and things have changed dramatically in GA due to funding shortages and significant class size increases. We have gone from a significant shortage of teachers to a situation where many with education degrees cannot land jobs. Unless you are qualified to teach math or science, you must have the proper credentials, for the most part.

It is much harder, if not impossible, to get hired as a teacher without certification these days.

Salaries have actually decreased as well, because most systems are furloughing teachers for at least a few days a year.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,195 times
Hi, I would like to teach Spanish in Atlanta GA, and I am applying for the MA in Spanish, but I know I have to get the certification in order to teach, which I will eventually do. My question is: If I purse a Master in International Business, and I do the teaching certification as well, can I teach Spanish?? Reason for it, is that I have a full time job that would sponsor my Master as long as this Master is in a filed within Business. Not that I want to do it in Business, but I want to take the opportunity. One person said to me I can finish the Master in Business and the certification and later on get the GACE so I can become a teacher for Spanish.... (I am Spanish native speaker)..any advice whether I should pursue to Master in Business or in Spanish if my goal is to become a Spanish teacher? Please advice urgently I am desperate!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or