Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 08:03 PM

163 posts, read 138,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno25 View Post
So what you’re saying is that rail in Atlanta is actually pretty good but the busses are subpar?

The routes I regularly ride generally run on time and get me where I need to go. I think the main complaint is frequency. Again, the routes I use only run 2 or at most 3 buses an hour, so getting the timing right is important. You can track buses with the MARTA app, which is usually reliable. I wouldn't consider the bus service in my area amazing, but it's above subpar in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2019, 08:15 PM

46 posts, read 59,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigup View Post
The routes I regularly ride generally run on time and get me where I need to go. I think the main complaint is frequency. Again, the routes I use only run 2 or at most 3 buses an hour, so getting the timing right is important. You can track buses with the MARTA app, which is usually reliable. I wouldn't consider the bus service in my area amazing, but it's above subpar in my opinion.
That doesn’t sound too bad actually. Bus service in Louisville is limited to certain areas and the system here is poorly managed. Busses tend to run late, sometimes almost an hour late. I pretty much use LYFT up here. I did use both UBER and LYFT but I’ve had some highly questionable UBER drivers in Louisville as of late so I’ve been using LYFT exclusively.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:32 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,740,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno25 View Post
That doesn’t sound too bad actually. Bus service in Louisville is limited to certain areas and the system here is poorly managed. Busses tend to run late, sometimes almost an hour late. I pretty much use LYFT up here. I did use both UBER and LYFT but I’ve had some highly questionable UBER drivers in Louisville as of late so I’ve been using LYFT exclusively.
Transit in ATL is a major step up from Louisville.

That said, have you used Lime, Louvelo, Loufit, or Bird? All of these are highly efficient ways to get around urban Louisville. Lime and Bird especially....if you have both apps its rare to be more than a few blocks away from a scooter and Louvelo is so cheap it complements those scooters well.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
Transit in ATL is a major step up from Louisville.

That said, have you used Lime, Louvelo, Loufit, or Bird? All of these are highly efficient ways to get around urban Louisville. Lime and Bird especially....if you have both apps its rare to be more than a few blocks away from a scooter and Louvelo is so cheap it complements those scooters well.
Since I have essential tremor, I don’t do well with scooters either. Also I live in St Matthews so I don’t have access to LouLift. I will say for St Matthews transit isn’t too bad but I’d say out of the east end suburbs, transit is best in St. Matthews. Outside of st Matthews, east end coverage drops off quick.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:08 PM

36 posts, read 36,259 times
Everything that I've read... you'll do fine.

I moved here from Louisville, KY (Hike's Point) in November 2018 . I take MARTA to work, sure there's a lot of walking and a lot of hills. I have a car but decided to not use it to get to and from work.

Just watch your location here. Pick one that you can handle getting to and from the MARTA station, whether you have to include the bus or not.

Old 04-25-2019, 10:46 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,258,301 times
Lyft is really useful here, and yes it's pretty cheap. I've never had a problem with it. Drivers can be characters, but whatever.

Atlanta's not perfect but has got some real appeal and charm, for sure. And you'd fit in really well around in-town in particular.

Georgia's like... I guess a light red state that is inch-trending towards purple a little more every year as the demographics gradually shift and the population generally grows. 2016 was only a 51% Trump win here, compared to 62% in Kentucky.

Best of luck when you feel you're ready to relocate. I don't envy you, that's a tough and scary thing to move to a new state.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Lyft is really useful here, and yes it's pretty cheap. I've never had a problem with it. Drivers can be characters, but whatever.

Atlanta's not perfect but has got some real appeal and charm, for sure. And you'd fit in really well around in-town in particular.

Georgia's like... I guess a light red state that is inch-trending towards purple a little more every year as the demographics gradually shift and the population generally grows. 2016 was only a 51% Trump win here, compared to 62% in Kentucky.

Best of luck when you feel you're ready to relocate. I don't envy you, that's a tough and scary thing to move to a new state.
Yeah and Kentucky feels like it’s moving more towards the right. Only two counties in KY went for Hillary Clinton(Jefferson and Fayette counties) but not by very large margins. Jefferson County is where Louisville is and Clinton only won the county by 14 points which isn’t a bad number but one Fulton and DeKalb counties, she fared better. She won almost 70% of the vote in Fulton and over 80% of the vote in DeKalb.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:00 PM

2,306 posts, read 2,994,056 times
Because of the essential tremor, you may qualify for MARTA mobility services (small shared bus that you hail) at least for some trips where the bus stop is far away (there are different levels of qualification). You also will most likely qualify for reduced fare based on the disability. Please do not hesitate to look into these things when you get to Atlanta, as your situation is exactly why the services exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta