Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Cobb and Gwinnett get MARTA?
Yes they will fairly soon 14 28.00%
Yes but not for a very long time 22 44.00%
No they never will 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 08:06 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,286,737 times

Advertisements

So if MARTA no longer exists. What will it be called?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2019, 08:10 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,052,659 times
Quote:
And MARTA would still continue on, behind the scenes administratively as the operations entity running ATL.
I don't know.

I'd almost say maybe it's better to dissolve the entire organization and make everybody re-apply for their jobs so you can make sure you only rehire the good ones.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:54 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't know.

I'd almost say maybe it's better to dissolve the entire organization and make everybody re-apply for their jobs so you can make sure you only rehire the good ones.
You'd have to deal with the union and I seriously doubt they would agree to it.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:56 AM

Oh, there's a union.

Well, that explains a lot.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:02 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,746 times
Quote:
I don't know.

That’s a great way to destroy an organization.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
That’s a great way to destroy an organization.
Usually. Unless your goal is to destroy the organization and start a new, better one.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:26 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,357,065 times
Quote:
Oh, there's a union.

Well, that explains a lot.
Hey...what are you trying to say?

Yeah...how terrible to have an organization that looks out for the employees and doesn't just suck on the corporate tit.

Old 04-27-2019, 01:03 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The thing I would like to see, wouldn't take many years and wouldn't require any construction. That is, the total consolidation and synergy of all the various public transit that we already do have running in the region, into one single, fresh, new ATL system that can operate anywhere within 13 counties without all this nonsense about crossing county lines, and its level of service in each county is then just a question of the level of transit funding in that county- which is something that I'm sure Cobb and Gwinnett at some point soon will be ready to increase, at least to some degree. But, let's be clear, they do have some transit now- in Cobb we're about to have 7-day bus service. The Cumberland area has better transit than some of the MARTA areas like Johns Creek, and we also have a couple of MARTA routes operating in Cobb, one for Cumberland and I think there's one that goes to Six Flags.

I'm just so tired of all the culture war stuff. I would like to focus on unity and transportation. And I'm starting to be more and more convinced that, however unfairly, MARTA as a brand is not the way to move forward with that goal, in this region.

I think the sooner we retire the brand MARTA, the sooner the region will just be talking about transit, which is the point. I say let's take away the option of MARTA or no MARTA. All the metro's transit everything really just needs to be consumed into one system and one operator, with the ATL brand and identity, and then each county can look at funding and services however they want to play it. But it takes away all this political hot-button culture identity race vs race, ITP vs OTP, county vs county, total BS divisive crap that has held this region back for too long, that should be united, just like Atlanta United.

Anyway, that's just, become my opinion at this point. I don't care about Gwinnett, they're a bunch of idiots. But I wish them well, maybe they'll figure that vote out again at some point soon. Cobb, I think it might have to wait until 2022, but I think we'll be funding more transit, with some kind of link to SunTrust Park and Paces Ferry/Home Depot HQ area, at least a bus rapid transit line, maybe a light rail.

Have no idea what the heck is going on with commuter rail- I still think that would be great and I don't understand why we can't figure it out and just do it. It would link all the historic areas of Cobb and Gwinnett, that actually have the density and walkability that complements transit. All this talk about transit on the freeways and the suburban car-sprawl areas, why don't we forget that and focus on linking together all the downtowns of the region, which there are a lot- it could be a really nice network. That would also be a way for everyone to come together and honor our history together, since that's exactly how Atlanta and its satellite towns came to be. And we'd be improving transportation options and connectivity while at it.

I just think that MARTA as the brand of that is like forcing something on the OTP counties that they've been resistant to. It's not about whether their resistance is warranted, they're not comfortable with MARTA. So IMO let's just retire that name and focus on a transit that doesn't have any kind of cultural baggage one way or another, and with that we can unify things.
Quote:
I think you make a really excellent point.

It may not be right and it may not be fair, but the MARTA brand is probably irreparable. The sooner we dump it, the better. To improve the brand, all we really need to do is get a new name, a new logo, and give the stations some minor and inexpensive, but much needed, cosmetic facelifts.
Quote:

Yep. And I think we have that with ATL. It needs to be our go-forward.

MARTA as a brand had a great run, and it will always be a part of our history, that we can be really proud of. Those glory days when it first got started and built the train lines, that was something great for Atlanta.

And MARTA would still continue on, behind the scenes administratively as the operations entity running ATL.

Yes, it would be great to get a new, comprehensive name for transit in Metro/Greater Atlanta. Something inclusive, yet simple.

A new name for all Atlanta/Metro Atlanta/Greater Atlanta transit...

mat
metro atlanta transit

What Atlanta/Metro Atlanta/Greater Atlanta needs...

matbus
matrail {Heavy Rail/Light Metro System...7 lines}
mattrain {Commuter Rail...11 lines}
mattrolley {Streetcar System}
matX {Express Commuter Bus}
matshuttle {Shuttle Bus}
matmover {People Mover}
matgondola {Sky Gondola}
matride {Public Taxi Ride}
matdecker {Double-Decker, tourist-like dedicated routes}

Old 04-27-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
So if MARTA no longer exists. What will it be called?
mat
metro atlanta transit

Old 04-27-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Have no idea what the heck is going on with commuter rail- I still think that would be great and I don't understand why we can't figure it out and just do it. It would link all the historic areas of Cobb and Gwinnett, that actually have the density and walkability that complements transit. All this talk about transit on the freeways and the suburban car-sprawl areas, why don't we forget that and focus on linking together all the downtowns of the region, which there are a lot- it could be a really nice network. That would also be a way for everyone to come together and honor our history together, since that's exactly how Atlanta and its satellite towns came to be. And we'd be improving transportation options and connectivity while at it.

Exactly. Commuter Rail--11 lines--would be relatively easy to implement. And it would be a game-change for the metro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Same here, brother aires.

Imagine the impact if the State would implement the already in place Commuter Rail plans and the MMPT. Coupled with the renaissance happening in South Downtown, it would be amazingly transformative.

Yes, Brother John. I wish we could at least get the commuter rail going. It would not be complicated to get it started and running.

And we would call it:

mattrain

mat
metro atlanta transit

matbus
matrail {Heavy Rail/Light Metro System...7 lines}
mattrain {Commuter Rail...11 lines}
mattrolley {Streetcar System}
matX {Express Commuter Bus}
matshuttle {Shuttle Bus}
matmover {People Mover}
matgondola {Sky Gondola}
matride {Public Taxi Ride}
matdecker {Double-Decker, tourist-like dedicated routes}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta